The Student Room Group

Why do left wingers love Islam?

Is it not contradictory? The beliefs that stem from Islam and in a more practical sense sharia law go against the so called 'morals' of left wing politics.

So left wingers, why do you have such a love and defence behaviour for Islam? I am curious.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe because they do not judge? What's it to you? Let them love what/or whoever they want to.
Original post by AzimH
Maybe because they do not judge? What's it to you? Let them love what/or whoever they want to.

They have a specific parental natural over Islam though in comparison to other cultures and religions. Look at big left wingers, they make it public of their association with the Islamic community and more often voice their support for that community. I never actually hear them mention other cultures/religions
Reply 3
I've never understood it either.
Original post by The Donut Maker
Is it not contradictory? The beliefs that stem from Islam and in a more practical sense sharia law go against the so called 'morals' of left wing politics.

So left wingers, why do you have such a love and defence behaviour for Islam? I am curious.

Exactly it makes no damn sense! When will they learn that you can't have muslims AND feminists AND LGBT people?
Original post by AzimH

surely they should judge because islam goes against leftist values like equality...? leftists would judge anybody else in society but they make a special exception if you happen to (likely) be a different race - leftists will do anything to avoid the possibility of looking racist after all
Reply 6
They have a specific parental natural over Islam though in comparison to other cultures and religions. Look at big left wingers, they make it public of their association with the Islamic community and more often voice their support for that community. I never actually hear them mention other cultures/religions

Oh yeah you got a point there.
Original post by gagafacea1
Exactly it makes no damn sense! When will they learn that you can't have muslims AND feminists AND LGBT people?

Exactly. How can you claim to support women's rights and LGBT rights then further express your love for an ideology which has no such rights.

I believe there is a line. You are either on one side or the other, you can not be on both, so which side are left wingers on is the question, but I guess I already know the answer to that.
Original post by AzimH

They do judge though. Many of those on the left despise Christianity, for example, yet Islam is something they're very much in bed with.

They're not okay with social conservatives, except when they happen to be muslims.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes it is bizarre.

It's because left-wingers tend to be very critical of the West and positive about foreign and exotic things. So the Catholic Church is evil but Islam is misunderstood and only prejudiced bigots hate it. In the same vein of thought multiculturalism should be encouraged because the UK has no culture and unfettered immigration is a good thing because Brits are lazy and immigrants work harder.
Anything the right and especially the far right particularly dislike (i.e. Islam, sharia, Muslims) the left wing, may feel the need to support and defend, to differentiate themselves from the right:dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by limetang
They do judge though. Many of those on the left despise Christianity, for example, yet Islam is something they're very much in bed with.

They're not okay with social conservatives, except when they happen to be muslims.

Yeah you're right. every religion should be given equal treatment when it comes to politics.
Original post by tengentoppa
Yes it is bizarre.

It's because left-wingers tend to be very critical of the West and positive about foreign and exotic things. So the Catholic Church is evil but Islam is misunderstood and only prejudiced bigots hate it. In the same vein of thought multiculturalism should be encouraged because the UK has no culture and unfettered immigration is a good thing because Brits are lazy and immigrants work harder.

So I guess their hatred of Britain, it's culture, its history and its beliefs must be fuelling there support for an ideology that equally opposes such ideals. So strange how two ideologically opposite communities could become the best of friends over an irrelevant issue. If they hate this country so much surely it is advisable to leave and live in say Saudi Arabia or a country more appropriate. That's what I would do.
Why do some right wingers love to generalise and treat the left wing as though it's some sort of hive mind where everyone has exactly the same views about everything?
I'm centre left, I don't love Islam, hell I have many criticisms of it as an ideology, why are right wingers such ****ing generalising hypocrits? Does Richard Dawkins love Islam? Did Christopher Hitchens love Islam?
(edited 8 years ago)
Centre/left here.

No love or active defense of Islam, or any other religion for that matter.
I don't like islam, I don't dislike Islam.
The 'left' don't. In fact it's been the left who've been most critical of our close relationship with Saudi Arabia for example while our right wing government has been supplying them with weapons.

The left often speaks out against the bombings of Muslim countries which cause huge amounts of civilian deaths and also warns against stereotyping all Muslims but that certainly does not equate to 'loving Islam'.
Original post by RFowler
Why do some right wingers love to generalise and treat the left wing as though it's some sort of hive mind where everyone has exactly the same views about everything?

Original post by Terry Tibbs
I'm centre left, I don't love Islam, hell I have many criticisms of it as an ideology, why are right wingers such ****ing generalising hypocrits? Does Richard Dawkins love Islam? Did Christopher Hitchens love Islam?

Original post by AaronImpresswell
Centre/left here.

No love or active defense of Islam, or any other religion for that matter.

Original post by United1892
I don't like islam, I don't dislike Islam.

Dislike it as much as you want but all too often we see the left defend Islam, purposely and actively associate with it as well as side with it in almost every event. If it's anyone vs Islam, you side with Islam. You have a distinct love for the ideology and a need to defend it.

You claim to support women's rights yet Islam does not.

You claim to support animal rights yet Islam does not.

You claim to support freedom of speech, a Muslim can spread hate as much as he or she wants yet a non Muslim can not criticise Islam unless they want to be labeled as racist/islamophobe/hater.

You claim to support LGBT rights yet Islam does not.

I could go on like this all day
Dislike it as much as you want but all too often we see the left defend Islam, purposely and actively associate with it as well as side with it in almost every event. If it's anyone vs Islam, you side with Islam. You have a distinct love for the ideology and a need to defend it.

Like the loony lefties in the CONSERVATIVE party who've used the "religion of peace" line (or words to that effect) to describe Islam? Which includes David Cameron and some other cabinet ministers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending