The Student Room Group

Can't cook but in self catered at uni

I'm starting to wonder how I'll survive whilst at uni. :erm: Shall I just eat out everyday (don't like food that isn't home made), or attempt to cook something (that could potentially fail) daily? My parents are also getting concerned now ...oh and I also have weight problems. Smh at myself.

Scroll to see replies

This will be your saving grace

Spoiler

try cooking, you might surprise yourself.

watch student recipe videos and try them at home before you go, thats what im doing.

if its really that bad, ready meals? :dontknow:
You cant go wrong with a stir fri with pasta or rice with meat
Reply 4
Original post by somemightsay888
This will be your saving grace

Spoiler

I hate it but seems like a good idea
Neither could I.

Buy Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals.
Reply 6
Original post by cupcakes87
try cooking, you might surprise yourself.

watch student recipe videos and try them at home before you go, thats what im doing.

if its really that bad, ready meals? :dontknow:

I'm so useless at cooking though. I always make the crappiest food and I only like eating stuff my parents make. Ready meals here I come :facepalm:
The general idea is to learn how to cook and stop getting other people to do it for you.
Reply 8
Original post by toonervoustotalk
You cant go wrong with a stir fri with pasta or rice with meat

Did I mention I don't like meat :ahee:
Original post by arfah
Did I mention I don't like meat :ahee:

Fine then fish :teehee:
Original post by arfah
I'm starting to wonder how I'll survive whilst at uni. :erm: Shall I just eat out everyday (don't like food that isn't home made), or attempt to cook something (that could potentially fail) daily? My parents are also getting concerned now ...oh and I also have weight problems. Smh at myself.

Its not difficult. You can cook stir fry, spaghetti and sauce, salads, or get frozen stuff. honestly, you'll be fine, i'm sure your flatmates will help you out if you are ridiculously bad. :biggrin: I'm going uni this year as well, but i can can luckily cook :biggrin:
The irony of my last message to you :lol:

Original post by arfah
I'm so useless at cooking though. I always make the crappiest food and I only like eating stuff my parents make.

Same :innocent:
Reply 12
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Fine then fish :teehee:

I loveeeee fish :ahee: You great
Original post by Hayley Williams
Its not difficult. You can cook stir fry, spaghetti and sauce, salads, or get frozen stuff. honestly, you'll be fine, i'm sure your flatmates will help you out if you are ridiculously bad. :biggrin: I'm going uni this year as well, but i can can luckily cook :biggrin:

I can already cook stir fry (one of the only things I have attempted to make) but I hate the taste. Good idea about the flat mates though hopefully they can cook for me.
Everything can be microwaved if you're inventive enough

If you don't like stir fry, add some spices to it. Ngl, most times when I taste student cooking I'm crying at how bland it is
(edited 8 years ago)
Watch some youtube tutorials on how to cook meals. Its worth giving a try, it doesn't matter if you fail cooking at first but I believe you will ace it at the end :biggrin:
So you're planning on getting a UNIVERSITY EDUCATION but cooking - which complete idiots can do - is beyond your capability to learn?
Try making pasta. So easy! Just buy a jar of sauce and add your own herbs/spices to it
Reply 17
Original post by Law-Hopeful
The irony of my last message to you :lol:

Same :innocent:

:lovehug:
Original post by SmashConcept
So you're planning on getting a UNIVERSITY EDUCATION but cooking - which complete idiots can do - is beyond your capability to learn?

Pretty much. :mmm:
I'm just not a chef
Original post by arfah
I loveeeee fish :ahee: You great

I can already cook stir fry (one of the only things I have attempted to make) but I hate the taste. Good idea about the flat mates though hopefully they can cook for me.

Haha fish is amazing Salmon is my fav

Your flatmates can cook for you but they would start to hate it after a while and you will have to buy ingredients for them to cook
But dont rely on them you can practice cooking quick meals and prefecting them later on :smile:
It's really not difficult. If you eat homemade stuff at home, ask your parents to show you how to make it when they cook.
Cook in batches so you don't have to do it as often - you can have spaghetti bolognese one or two days in a row, then add some kidney beans to the leftovers and have chilli, and have the rest of that on a baked potato instead of with rice! Freeze leftover portions to get out of the freezer first thing on a busy day and microwave them when you get in (homemade ready meals).

Some easy things you should be able to cook: omelette, spag bol, chilli, sausage and mash, homemade burgers

If your problem is flavour, follow recipes and weight ingredients. If you burn stuff, ask someone to give you a detailed breakdown of what temperature and method to cook different foods at. Invest in a food thermometer if you're worried about food poisoning from undercooked meat. Sure, some people will never be a star chef, but I honestly don't understand how you can't follow a few recipes to make an edible meal.

Quick Reply

Latest