The Student Room Group

Confused about whether to go to uni or take a gap year!

Hi everyone, so I am in complete confusion at the moment about my future - I have a really complicated story so I apologise for all the writing!
Basically, I have a confirmed place at southampton to study law, and I have enrolled etc. I originally this year applied for geography because i didn't think i would get a place to study law, but after seeing it was in clearing i decided to decline all my offers and apply through clearing for law, and got the place. I do genuinely love debating and current affairs...
However I think i want to do midwifery... such a change i know but it has been something I've been considering for about a year, but was put off by my parents' disappointment whenever i mentioned midwifery, and they tell me I'm 'too clever' for the degree - i obviously disagree that midwifery is a soft course...
They are reallyyyyyy happy that i am doing law and i know it would be a really good degree to have however i think my heart is in midwifery - plus i love to travel and feel that being a midwife would allow me to visit some incredible places whilst working with local communities.
So that would involve me taking a gap year - firstly, does anyone know any funded gap year programs? i know that i will have to be around over november'december for interviews, and i think i would apply for ICS.
Also, would i be liable for any university costs if i didn't start the course?
And finally, how would one go about telling their parents about this - I am completely terrified of their reaction, as well as the reaction of friends (who have seen me already go from one course to a different one!).
So basically I'm not in the best of places but i really want to do what is best, and i can't help feeling that law, as interesting as it is, is not right for me!
I did the same but from maths to geography and now reapplying for eco :tongue: I'm taking part in ICS on the 21st so not long now! I'd say make sure you do something you enjoy :smile: just sit them down and tell them about what you would like to do and say about the passion you have! My parents worry I won't do anything/ will waste my time but show them and be proactive :smile: they just want what's best and my parents were disappointed I wasn't doing a stem subject but its our lives

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
About the international volunteering, I've been trying to find inexpensive or free programmes but no luck. The only option for me is to do ICS.
I want to join ICS during the Christmas holidays
Original post by glo420
About the international volunteering, I've been trying to find inexpensive or free programmes but no luck. The only option for me is to do ICS.
I want to join ICS during the Christmas holidays

This Christmas? It'll be too late to apply now as there is a fair bit to do beforehand :frown: thought about volunteering at home or a job over the year? I'm hoping to work at pgl for the rest of the year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I've done the ICS programme, best experience of my life. Go for it.
Reply 5
its unlikely you'll find a funded international volunteer programme. You will need to pay something to your hosts for room and board, and in some cases something for 24/7 support if you go with a company. It's worth doing son homework on the different companies and what they offer, and if they're genuine.
Original post by anniesmith007
Hi everyone, so I am in complete confusion at the moment about my future - I have a really complicated story so I apologise for all the writing!
Basically, I have a confirmed place at southampton to study law, and I have enrolled etc. I originally this year applied for geography because i didn't think i would get a place to study law, but after seeing it was in clearing i decided to decline all my offers and apply through clearing for law, and got the place. I do genuinely love debating and current affairs...
However I think i want to do midwifery... such a change i know but it has been something I've been considering for about a year, but was put off by my parents' disappointment whenever i mentioned midwifery, and they tell me I'm 'too clever' for the degree - i obviously disagree that midwifery is a soft course...
They are reallyyyyyy happy that i am doing law and i know it would be a really good degree to have however i think my heart is in midwifery - plus i love to travel and feel that being a midwife would allow me to visit some incredible places whilst working with local communities.
So that would involve me taking a gap year - firstly, does anyone know any funded gap year programs? i know that i will have to be around over november'december for interviews, and i think i would apply for ICS.
Also, would i be liable for any university costs if i didn't start the course?
And finally, how would one go about telling their parents about this - I am completely terrified of their reaction, as well as the reaction of friends (who have seen me already go from one course to a different one!).
So basically I'm not in the best of places but i really want to do what is best, and i can't help feeling that law, as interesting as it is, is not right for me!

Hi

I did Law at a prestigious university and I’ve got an offer to study Midwifery this year, however I think I’m going to decline it as I’m more interested in Children’s Nursing I’ve discovered.

Quick Reply

Latest