The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm not sure this is the right place to ask my question, but I'll try. I would love to study PPE at the Harris Manchester College in the future (i'm not British though, i'm from Southern Europe). Is there any advice you could give me regarding my UCAS application?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sophiriapeafowl
Hi, I'm not sure this is the right place to ask my question, but I'll try. I would love to study PPE at the Harris Manchester College in the future (i'm not British though, i'm from Southern Europe). Is there any advice you could give me regarding my UCAS application?

There's lots of initial advice on the Harris Manchester website, here: http://www.hmc.ox.ac.uk/pages/default.asp?id=15

In terms of more specific advice, if you can give me a bit more detail about your background and the precise areas on which you would like guidance, I'll consult with my Oxford colleague.
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
There's lots of initial advice on the Harris Manchester website, here: http://www.hmc.ox.ac.uk/pages/default.asp?id=15

In terms of more specific advice, if you can give me a bit more detail about your background and the precise areas on which you would like guidance, I'll consult with my Oxford colleague.

Thank you for the answer! I studied different subjects in high school: various human sciences, law, political economics, english literature, philosophy (i'm from Italy and my course was called human sciences with social and economic option). I had to interrupt my studies because of health matters and I couldn't start going to the University. (Right now I'm 23, but I would start at 25 or even 26...)
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you for the answer! I studied different subjects in high school: various human sciences, law, political economics, english literature, philosophy (i'm from Italy and my course was called human sciences with social and economic option). I had to interrupt my studies because of health matters and I couldn't start going to the University. (Right now I'm 23, but I would start at 25 or even 26...)

Can I clarify, then, do you have any school-leaving qualifications at all?
Hi,

I'm interested in applying in the future to Biomedical Sciences at Oxford though am concerned about my GCSEs, which were taken back in 2008. These were all B-C (apart from English Language, which I somehow graded a D in and intend to retake next academic year) and gained under some very stressful circumstances. I am unsure whether they would count against me, or if I would even be considered at all. Would a strong BMAT score and performance in A-levels outweigh this?

Advice appreciated!
Oxbridge is overrated in my opinion. Plus they set overly strict criteria. Do a degree at a United Kingdom university, and make of it what you will, is my advice!
Can I clarify, then, do you have any school-leaving qualifications at all?

Not yet unfortunately, but I will take them in 2016. I have the predicted grades (the italian equivalent) and they are in line with Oxford, as far as I saw.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not yet unfortunately, but I will take them in 2016. I have the predicted grades (the italian equivalent) and they are in line with Oxford, as far as I saw.

In that case, I'm assuming you'll receive them before the application deadline of October 15, 2016. If you do achieve the grades required by Oxford, then my main advice would be to go for it - and good luck!
Original post by AmeliaLost
Hi,

I'm interested in applying in the future to Biomedical Sciences at Oxford though am concerned about my GCSEs, which were taken back in 2008. These were all B-C (apart from English Language, which I somehow graded a D in and intend to retake next academic year) and gained under some very stressful circumstances. I am unsure whether they would count against me, or if I would even be considered at all. Would a strong BMAT score and performance in A-levels outweigh this?

Advice appreciated!

I would think so, provided you could provide evidence of/some explanation for the extenuating circumstances that impacted your GCSEs, first time round. That would certainly be the case at Cambridge, anyhow.
In that case, I'm assuming you'll receive them before the application deadline of October 15, 2016. If you do achieve the grades required by Oxford, then my main advice would be to go for it - and good luck!

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 30
Hello,

I achieved A-Levels which exceeded the entry requirements for Oxford law a few years ago but need to produce evidence of recent academic attainment. An access course makes sense for me but because of my current situation I would strongly prefer to do a distance learnng course. I have found one such course from the distance learning centre. My concern is that due to it being both an access course and conducted largely online it will be viewed as not rigorous enough for Oxford. I am considering doing one or two A-Levels alongside but am not sure how possible this would be at the moment.

I wonder if anyone has anything to say about this
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fenice
Hello,

I achieved A-Levels which exceeded the entry requirements for Oxford law a few years ago but need to produce evidence of recent academic attainment. An access course makes sense for me but because of my current situation I would strongly prefer to do a distance learnng course. I have found one such course from the distance learning centre. My concern is that due to it being both an access course and conducted largely online it will be viewed as not rigorous enough for Oxford. I am considering doing one or two A-Levels alongside but am not sure how possible this would be at the moment.

Ask Oxford
Reply 32
Original post by PQ
Ask Oxford

I have tried this but all they seem to be able to say is that access courses are acceptable qualifications. I was hoping people in the know who aren't employed to answer these questions might be more candid
Original post by Fenice
Hello,

There seems to be some confusion in your mind. Are you seeking admission based on your A levels with the Access course to show recent academic attainment or are you seeking admission on the basis of an Access course?

Oxford have answered your enquiry on the basis that you are seeking admission via an Access course. Given your confusion, they may well have given the answer to the question they were asked.

I wouldn't do an Access course, if I was seeking admission on the basis of my old A levels. The reason is it is almost inevitable you would be given a conditional offer based on Access results (assuming you apply during the course). Top universities set required grades for Access as being a very high percentage of the 45 modules at distinction level. Whilst by no means impossible for an Oxford standard applicant, that does require you (a) to hit the ground running, (b) maintain a consistent high performance throughout the year and (c) avoid the tutor from hell. Access course are very time intensive one year courses. You will struggle to do a couple of A levels on top.

If you are applying on the back of old A levels you can do any course, anywhere, to demonstrate recent academic attainment. The practical issue is that unless you do a summer school somewhere (which obviously won't be online), you aren't going to have shown that attainment by the October 2016 admissions round. You won't therefore be applying until October 2017. Most people would show recent academic attainment by doing an OU module or two and would do that clearly "part-time".

If you are able to undertake a summer school (I assume that you have caring responsibilities of some sort but you might be able to foist child or aged relative off on someone else for a week or two), and if you have the depth of pocket, then you might look at these.

https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/summerschools/oussa/index.php
https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/summerschools/oussa/index.php?content=accred

https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/courses/summer-schools?ref=home
https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/international-summer-schools/studying-in-cambridge

http://www.ies.sas.ac.uk/study-training/research-training-summer-schools/london-rare-books-school/courses-2016

There are other university summer schools for adults around.

The OU isn't the only online provider around (the London University international programme probably doesn't meet your needs since it is geared around completion of an entire degree). Various MOOCS can be taken for academic credit, mostly from US universities.

http://www.collegeaffordabilityguide.org/college-for-free/moocs-that-offer-credit-by-exam/#history-social-science

Obviously your A levels would have to meet Oxford's current admissions standard, not an historic one.
Reply 34
Original post by nulli tertius
There seems to be some confusion in your mind. Are you seeking admission based on your A levels with the Access course to show recent academic attainment or are you seeking admission on the basis of an Access course?

Oxford have answered your enquiry on the basis that you are seeking admission via an Access course. Given your confusion, they may well have given the answer to the question they were asked.

Here is what it says on the section for mature applicants:

it’s essential that you have also undertaken formal academic qualifications within the three years before you apply. We need to be sure that you will be able to cope with the demands of academic study at Oxford and that you have the study skills that are so essential to following an undergraduate degree course. Many different academic qualifications would be acceptable. For further information on the qualifications you would need to make a competitive application, please refer to Entrance Requirements.

The linked page lists all the expected qualifications but does not give any information for mature students. It also says that for courses other than medicine 'the usual expectation is that candidates will complete the A-levels specified in their applications within a two year period'. I don't know, to answer. I was intending to apply with my A-Levels and an access course on the basis that I need to do something recent and my A-Levels can only improve my chances.

Ideally I would like to do apply on the back of my A-Levels - I was simply under the impression that I wouldn't get through the door.

I wouldn't do an Access course, if I was seeking admission on the basis of my old A levels. The reason is it is almost inevitable you would be given a conditional offer based on Access results (assuming you apply during the course). Top universities set required grades for Access as being a very high percentage of the 45 modules at distinction level. Whilst by no means impossible for an Oxford standard applicant, that does require you (a) to hit the ground running, (b) maintain a consistent high performance throughout the year and (c) avoid the tutor from hell. Access course are very time intensive one year courses. You will struggle to do a couple of A levels on top.

If you are applying on the back of old A levels you can do any course, anywhere, to demonstrate recent academic attainment. The practical issue is that unless you do a summer school somewhere (which obviously won't be online), you aren't going to have shown that attainment by the October 2016 admissions round. You won't therefore be applying until October 2017. Most people would show recent academic attainment by doing an OU module or two and would do that clearly "part-time".

If you are able to undertake a summer school (I assume that you have caring responsibilities of some sort but you might be able to foist child or aged relative off on someone else for a week or two), and if you have the depth of pocket, then you might look at these.

https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/summerschools/oussa/index.php
https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/summerschools/oussa/index.php?content=accred

https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/courses/summer-schools?ref=home
https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/international-summer-schools/studying-in-cambridge

http://www.ies.sas.ac.uk/study-training/research-training-summer-schools/london-rare-books-school/courses-2016

There are other university summer schools for adults around.

The OU isn't the only online provider around (the London University international programme probably doesn't meet your needs since it is geared around completion of an entire degree). Various MOOCS can be taken for academic credit, mostly from US universities.

http://www.collegeaffordabilityguide.org/college-for-free/moocs-that-offer-credit-by-exam/#history-social-science

Obviously your A levels would have to meet Oxford's current admissions standard, not an historic one.

This is extremely useful, thanks. I have emailed the admissions tutor as to whether this will be enough. It is a bit concerning that these aren't mentioned on any of the relevant website pages or on the summer school pages.

One concern is that questions will arise from me doing a summer school in a subject different from the course I am applying for as law courses don't seem to come up ? My A-Levels are from 2012 and exceed the standard offer.

Additionally, I could start an access course now and have had the results by the normal time as my provider runs throughout the year.

jneill
x

I had a quote from you but it has disappeared
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Fenice
I had a quote from you but it has disappeared

It was a suggestion you post in the Oxbridge 21+ thread, but your post has been moved there anyway :smile:

A 21+ Admission Tutor will be along in due course.
Hello,
I am intending to start university in september 2017, so will be applying later this year. I am a mature student (29) I am half and half self teaching, as well as doing my A-levels through a distance learning college, though due to working nights full time as well my correspondence with them is limited, save for being given structured course notes.
My initial concern is, will the nature of my study have a negative effect, i.e I have been away from classroom study quite a while. Also due to the way I am studying, I obviously have no predicted grades, so will probably have to be putting my AS results on my UCAS applications. Currently I am on course for 3 A grades. Can you point out any ways in which this will affect my chances of gaining an interview? (Specifically Oxford, not Cambridge)
Original post by Timmy2686
Hello,
I am intending to start university in september 2017, so will be applying later this year. I am a mature student (29) I am half and half self teaching, as well as doing my A-levels through a distance learning college, though due to working nights full time as well my correspondence with them is limited, save for being given structured course notes.
My initial concern is, will the nature of my study have a negative effect, i.e I have been away from classroom study quite a while. Also due to the way I am studying, I obviously have no predicted grades, so will probably have to be putting my AS results on my UCAS applications. Currently I am on course for 3 A grades. Can you point out any ways in which this will affect my chances of gaining an interview? (Specifically Oxford, not Cambridge)

I am consulting with my counterpart at Oxford and will come back to you.
Reply 38
@LucyCavendish can you also have a look at post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64511953&postcount=31 and the next few posts after it?

Original post by Timmy2686
Hello,

My colleague from Harris Manchester says:

As far as Harris Manchester, Oxford is concerned we would be happy to consider an application in the absence of any predicted grades. It is not uncommon for applicants to apply having self-taught and we appreciate their situation. For most courses we ask candidates to sit an aptitude test, and for some subjects we also ask them to supply written work as part of the application procedure. These give us a good sense of a candidate’s potential and we are able to make our decisions as to who to shortlist for interview on the basis of these and in the absence of predicted grades. You do not say which subject you intend to apply for but if you would like to look up whether there is a written test and/or written work requirement for your chosen course then please see https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing?wssl=1. If, following interview, you were to be offered a place it would be conditional on achieving the required A Level grades in advance of starting the course.