The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford or Cambridge at 21+

Hi everyone,

Harris Manchester College, Oxford and Lucy Cavendish College, Cambridge, will be hosting a joint event for prospective mature applicants to Oxbridge, in London, later this month (seehttp://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/events...udents-aged-21).

We're also hosting a joint thread throughout September! So if you are going to be over 21 or over at the time you start University, and you have any questions about applying to either Oxford or Cambridge, please post them here and we will do our best to answer...

(Lots of information on Cambridge specifically over in the Cambridge Forum at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2878031)

---
UPDATE - Oct 2016

Hi all, due to staff changes at Lucy Cavendish College this thread is now closed. It may be re-opened at some point in the future.In the meantime you can contact Cambridge or Oxford mature colleges direct with any queries.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I have seen this post just recently and I am very eager to understand the admission process for Oxbridge.
Also I would like to know the appropriate Colleges who can offer a good course for BA Theology and Religion for mature undergraduates.
Currently I am attending an Access to HE course at Bournemouth and Poole College in Dorset. I expect to have at least 35-40 distinctions and 5 - 10 merits for this course. I have a High School diploma as well (Baccalaureate Diploma obtained in Romania - EU) since 2001 (Total mark was 7.12 from 10). My English level qualification is 100% on my Baccalaureate Diploma. Should I go for an IELTS test and try to obtain an overall score of 7 as well ?
Thank you!

Constantin
Original post by constantin.pui
Hi,
I have seen this post just recently and I am very eager to understand the admission process for Oxbridge.
Also I would like to know the appropriate Colleges who can offer a good course for BA Theology and Religion for mature undergraduates.
Currently I am attending an Access to HE course at Bournemouth and Poole College in Dorset. I expect to have at least 35-40 distinctions and 5 - 10 merits for this course. I have a High School diploma as well (Baccalaureate Diploma obtained in Romania - EU) since 2001 (Total mark was 7.12 from 10). My English level qualification is 100% on my Baccalaureate Diploma. Should I go for an IELTS test and try to obtain an overall score of 7 as well ?
Thank you!

Constantin

There are four mature colleges at Cambridge (Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's and Wolfson), all of which offer the BA in Theology. The standard Cambridge offer for Access Diploma students is, however, a distinction in every graded units, so it might harm your chances if you obtain or are predicted merits. I do not think it is necessary for you to take an IELTS test prior to application, if you are studying in the UK; should an Admissions Tutor wish to make you an offer, and have doubts about your English, they will simply build it into the offer. More information from Oxford to follow...
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
There are four mature colleges at Cambridge (Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's and Wolfson), all of which offer the BA in Theology. The standard Cambridge offer for Access Diploma students is, however, a distinction in every graded units, so it might harm your chances if you obtain or are predicted merits. I do not think it is necessary for you to take an IELTS test prior to application, if you are studying in the UK; should an Admissions Tutor wish to make you an offer, and have doubts about your English, they will simply build it into the offer. More information from Oxford to follow...

Thank you for your prompt answer.
I am not necessarily expecting any merits for my Access course. The only doubt is related with the language itself (it is my second language). I am not entirely confident, but I expect to perform excellent (with distinction) in every graded units and adjust my language skills as appropriate.
Looking forward to hear about Oxford ...
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I'm currently 20 and will be 21 by September 2016; I was just wondering what the chances were for an applicant who was pursuing A-levels independently over a a sustained period of time.
How realistic are chances of getting to interview stage?
Also, any advice for completing the application?
I unfortunately didn't see this thread in time and so missed the event, so any info would be much appreciated!
Original post by liladybells95
Hi, I'm currently 20 and will be 21 by September 2016; I was just wondering what the chances were for an applicant who was pursuing A-levels independently over a a sustained period of time.
How realistic are chances of getting to interview stage?
Also, any advice for completing the application?
I unfortunately didn't see this thread in time and so missed the event, so any info would be much appreciated!

Hi there,

At Cambridge, we do regularly accept applicants who have been pursuing A-levels independently, often over the course of several years. Your chances of getting to interview are likely to be affected by two factors: any existing AS marks, and the provision of a reference that offers some testimony to your academic motivation and potential (even if this is from an employer rather than a tutor/teacher). Those chances are, I would think, fairly good in that we tend to give applicants in your circumstances the benefit of the doubt, and see what they can do in person, rather than rejecting at interview stage.

You don't mention what course you're thinking of applying for, but this may have an impact, particularly for Oxford, since Oxford use pre-interview tests in many subjects (the results of which might well determine your chance of securing an interview), and their interview rates vary more by subject - from 30% to 90%, depending on the course - whereas at Cambridge it is around 80% across all courses.

If you can give me a bit more detail about your interests I will consult with my Oxford colleague and come back to you with further info!
Reply 6
Hi,
I am 21 and was recently rejected by all Universities when applying for medicine. I have European Baccalaureate from Slovak and English Language plus 2 more ( no Biology or Chemistry neither Physics or Maths).
I also have NVQ level 3 in Dental Nursing.
And I enrolled on A-levels Chemistry and Biology distant learning Fast Track A2 in one year. I had a biology and chemistry classes until the age of 17 unfortunately they are not my baccalaureate subjects. So I though I will self teach myself and then just sit an exam. I was rejected by all unis I contacted and advised to do the A2 in full set and normal sitting. I do not consider to do full time 2 year course the best choice since it would be costly and time consuming.
Is there any advice you could give me - a mature international student?
Many Thanks
Original post by Bernadeta
Hi,
I am 21 and was recently rejected by all Universities when applying for medicine. I have European Baccalaureate from Slovak and English Language plus 2 more ( no Biology or Chemistry neither Physics or Maths).
I also have NVQ level 3 in Dental Nursing.
And I enrolled on A-levels Chemistry and Biology distant learning Fast Track A2 in one year. I had a biology and chemistry classes until the age of 17 unfortunately they are not my baccalaureate subjects. So I though I will self teach myself and then just sit an exam. I was rejected by all unis I contacted and advised to do the A2 in full set and normal sitting. I do not consider to do full time 2 year course the best choice since it would be costly and time consuming.
Is there any advice you could give me - a mature international student?
Many Thanks

I'm sorry, it's not clear to me whether you have just started your fast track A2 A-levels, or whether you have completed them? If the latter, could you tell me your results, please?
Hi, Just wanted to know if there is even a chance with my 'stats' for A101 I saw on the website that AAA is competitive, so is there no point in applying with AAB? or have there been people accepted with grades like these. My stats: Upper 2:1 ( 62%) masters from UCL.AAB- ( Chemistry, Biology and Maths)And various experiences.With these grades is there even an opportunity or is it well below what is needed.Many thanks
Reply 9
I'm sorry, it's not clear to me whether you have just started your fast track A2 A-levels, or whether you have completed them? If the latter, could you tell me your results, please?

I have just started Biology and Chemistry I am also thinking of taking Maths and/or Physics if it could improve my chances. If I get the best grades possible would I still be considered even though I am on fast track distance learning program?
Original post by hamfam2014
Hi, Just wanted to know if there is even a chance with my 'stats' for A101 I saw on the website that AAA is competitive, so is there no point in applying with AAB? or have there been people accepted with grades like these. My stats: Upper 2:1 ( 62%) masters from UCL.AAB- ( Chemistry, Biology and Maths)And various experiences.With these grades is there even an opportunity or is it well below what is needed.Many thanks

We did shortlist a small number of candidates with AAB at Cambridge last year; my guess is that the candidates at that level are unlikely to be competitive this year, so it would be an aspirational choice, at best. Oxford place more emphasis on the BMAT: see http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/faqs/will-my-poor-a-level-results-count-against-me
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bernadeta
I have just started Biology and Chemistry I am also thinking of taking Maths and/or Physics if it could improve my chances. If I get the best grades possible would I still be considered even though I am on fast track distance learning program?

You would have to have either Maths or Physics to at least AS-level to be considered by Cambridge, and they would probably improve your chances elsewhere, too.

If you secure top grades, it will not matter that you have done so via a fast track distance learning program. However, Medical Schools may not be confident in your ability to secure those grades, this year, so you might have more luck with applications once you have them in hand, i.e. in 2016.
Original post by constantin.pui
Thank you for your prompt answer.
I am not necessarily expecting any merits for my Access course. The only doubt is related with the language itself (it is my second language). I am not entirely confident, but I expect to perform excellent (with distinction) in every graded units and adjust my language skills as appropriate.
Looking forward to hear about Oxford ...

From my colleague at Oxford:

"For information about the Theology and Religion course at Oxford please see http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/theology-and-religion. There is a link on the right-hand side which lists which of the Oxford colleges offer this course. As the teaching and examining is shared across the University all colleges should be considered equally good for providing this course. Our usual entrance requirement for someone reading the Access to HE Diploma would be Distinctions in all graded credits. There is an English Language requirement and details of this can be found here http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/english-language-requirements."
Hi,
So I did my ASs in 2012, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and French. Got 95%+ on average in everything.
Developed severe Bipolar disorder and generalised anxiety disorder in A2 (undiagnosed at the time. I didn't apply for any mitigating circumstances) was unable to cope and came out with AACC in the end. Took a gap year, then did first year studying Maths at Manchester. It was during this year, 2015, that I got diagnosed with bipolar disorder, psychosis and severe anxiety and was put on medication and therapy AFTER my final exams. I achieved 62% for the year.
Now my doctor has signed me off as "unfit to work" until the therapy and medication take effect, so I basically have a year out now and can start second year at Manchester next autumn, 2017.
Up until the mental health disorders hit I was a hard working and high achieving student. 11A*s and 2As at GCSE and five solid As at AS.
I am not happy studying at Manchester and would prefer the opportunity to study natural sciences at Cambridge as I feel pure maths is too limiting for me.
What do you think my chances are? Will health conditions been taken into account for my poor performance at A2?
Many thanks for your time!
Original post by jusqu'ici
Hi,
So I did my ASs in 2012, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and French. Got 95%+ on average in everything.
Developed severe Bipolar disorder and generalised anxiety disorder in A2 (undiagnosed at the time. I didn't apply for any mitigating circumstances) was unable to cope and came out with AACC in the end. Took a gap year, then did first year studying Maths at Manchester. It was during this year, 2015, that I got diagnosed with bipolar disorder, psychosis and severe anxiety and was put on medication and therapy AFTER my final exams. I achieved 62% for the year.
Now my doctor has signed me off as "unfit to work" until the therapy and medication take effect, so I basically have a year out now and can start second year at Manchester next autumn, 2017.
Up until the mental health disorders hit I was a hard working and high achieving student. 11A*s and 2As at GCSE and five solid As at AS.
I am not happy studying at Manchester and would prefer the opportunity to study natural sciences at Cambridge as I feel pure maths is too limiting for me.
What do you think my chances are? Will health conditions been taken into account for my poor performance at A2?
Many thanks for your time!

Hi there,

Your health conditions would of course be taken into account, but I think you need to bear in mind that almost all successful applicants to Cambridge for Natural Sciences have a profile not dissimilar to yours, in terms of GCSEs and AS-levels; it's one of our most competitive courses. So, there is no guarantee of a positive outcome, even with the weighting given for extenuating circumstances during your A2 year and first year at Manchester. If you were simply taking a "gap year", I might recommend that you re-sit the A2s, but it sounds to me as though you really need to spend 2016-2017 sorting out your health. I also think you should bear in mind that even pure maths graduates frequently end up in natural sciences - there are plenty of biologists at Cambridge, for example, who came to us at postgraduate level with a background in mathematics. Even if you don't study natural sciences as an undergraduate, then, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do so further down the line.

I hope this helps!
Hi there...

Hello again,

Thank you that was indeed very helpful! You're right to point out that I still have nothing to make it a competitive application! I really am very passionate about studying natural sciences as my year doing maths (and sneaking into physics and chemistry lectures) has shown me that what I really want is to be studying a broader scientific degree.

As such I was wondering if there is anything you could recommend that I do with my time to make my application more competitive? Are there any internships, work experience or courses etc. which would show that I am up to the required academic standards (as I feel it might be a little too late to resit my A levels!).

I really do feel that academically I am up to scratch, and I certainly have the passion for the subject! I'm willing to work hard to prove this to the admissions officers. Do you think I have a chance to get my application up to a competitive standard? Or is it a lost cause by this point?

Many thanks X
Original post by jusqu'ici
Hello again,

Thank you that was indeed very helpful! You're right to point out that I still have nothing to make it a competitive application! I really am very passionate about studying natural sciences as my year doing maths (and sneaking into physics and chemistry lectures) has shown me that what I really want is to be studying a broader scientific degree.

As such I was wondering if there is anything you could recommend that I do with my time to make my application more competitive? Are there any internships, work experience or courses etc. which would show that I am up to the required academic standards (as I feel it might be a little too late to resit my A levels!).

I really do feel that academically I am up to scratch, and I certainly have the passion for the subject! I'm willing to work hard to prove this to the admissions officers. Do you think I have a chance to get my application up to a competitive standard? Or is it a lost cause by this point?

Many thanks X

I don't think it's a lost cause, but I do think you would find it easier to pursue Natural Sciences at Cambridge further down the line. Neither work experience or internships are likely to make much of a difference; you could, I suppose, take relevant OU modules but that might interfere with your recovery (and affect your eligibility for Student Finance). Other than that, I have no immediate suggestions, unfortunately.
I am now 20 at I am finishing my degree in Hong Kong two years later. Is it possible for me to take the A level next year and apply for my second degree in Oxford for Modern Language and Linguistic even I did not have foreign language lessons before? Also, what A level subjects should I take to maximize my chance? Thanks for your attention.
Original post by angelatang118
I am now 20 at I am finishing my degree in Hong Kong two years later. Is it possible for me to take the A level next year and apply for my second degree in Oxford for Modern Language and Linguistic even I did not have foreign language lessons before? Also, what A level subjects should I take to maximize my chance? Thanks for your attention.

I have passed your query on to my colleague in Oxford and will let you know when I have a response.
Original post by angelatang118

From my colleague in Oxford:

"Information about the Oxford Modern Languages and Linguistics course can be found here http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/modern-languages-and-linguistics.No experience of studying Linguistics is required, though knowledge of the relevant modern language may be expected, as detailed below. English Language, Mathematics, a science or any other language may be useful for some elements of the course, although they are not required for admission.For Czech, French, German, Modern Greek, Russian and Spanish
Candidates would usually be expected to have the language to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or another academic equivalent.For Italian and Portuguese
Please note there are different course codes for these languages, depending on whether you are applying with an A-level or equivalent in the relevant language, or if you are applying for a beginners’ course. Beginners’ courses allow students to start studying one of these languages from scratch."

Latest

Trending

Trending