The Student Room Group

Never done compsci but want to do it at university

Id like to do computer science at university but i have no experience of coding, i dont think i will gain any either due to my sixth form not offering the computer science A -level. How big of a problem will this be? will universities even take me?
i know people that loss hair over coding
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TS21
Id like to do computer science at university but i have no experience of coding, i dont think i will gain any either due to my sixth form not offering the computer science A -level. How big of a problem will this be? will universities even take me?

What year are you currently in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TS21

I'm about to go into Software Eng. Degree and I had this problem. It is not impossible, the degree is perfectly doable without coding experience BUT it is a very difficult degree to jump into if you have no coding experience. A lot of people drop out because they find programming difficult, but all you need to do is spend a little free time programming. I recommend you do Bob Tabor's introduction to C# programming, I did this and it was VERY helpful to get me started into programming and the basic concepts of programming. I also used c# after this tutorial to make a small, basic quiz game and while I can't program you a proper software system I gained understanding of key concepts in programming and developed the essential ability - that ability being that I can now look at a problem/what I want to produce and go 'I know! I can do that by doing *this* and using *this concept*'. You don't have to go into a computing degree knowing how to program, but for the sake of your sanity getting even a foot in the door can help DRAMATICALLY.
Programming is daunting at first, it looks strange and its hard in the beginand they use big foreign words like 'class, method, constructor, overloading' but you take each concept one at a time and you'll soon be flying. I read the definitions of those words when I was learning and dud not have a CLUE what I was reading but I kept going and it all just clicked foe after a while of using that concept in practice. You just have to persevere with it, programming is great when you get into it :smile: it's the debugging that will kill you lol!
Good luck, I'm about to experience it first hand in a few weeks so I'll try let you know lol! :biggrin:

P.s.
Uni will still take you, but any candidate with programming experience even self taught will get in before you. Simply putting on your personal statement that you did an online tutorial (like naming bob tablors video tutorials) or that you did an online course can booast your chances dramatically.
P.s.s.
If you want other languages, code academy is quite a good starter website and I highly recommend taking MMOC'S (Online courses) when they become available on websites like future learn. If you are into games like I am, try learning to use unity (though program a bit first, it's programming is a bit hard even with knowing concepts). I recommend you start with java or c# :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Honestly not a huge problem but you should do a free course or something to confirm your interest and give you something to write about on your ps.
Try codeacademy.com
Reply 6
Original post by bigboateng
What year are you currently in

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going into Year 12
Original post by TS21
Going into Year 12

Oh that's fine then. I was going to say pretty much what others have said above. Just learn some programming in your free time. I'll say start with python language and watch youtube tutorials like thenewboston's youtube channel. CodeAcademy is good but I find youtube videos to be better, because sometimes the explain something's using analogy that makes sense. You can then later start using websites like CodeAcademy to learn anything you missed in the youtube videos.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending