The Student Room Group

Should I take french for AS

So I am starting sixth form tomorrow and I'm trying ti decide in my last subject for AS
At gcse I had an A in french
My mum has a degree in french so I'd have help at home

What is it like? How much harder is it?
Should I take it?
Do you like it and are you interested in studying it after 6th form?
Hi! I really think you should do French, it's a lot of work but its really a lot of fun. An A would set you up really well, and it'd be helpful to have your mum helping too.
It is much more intensive than at GCSE; whereas GCSE gives you the basics and phrasings to give you some groundings in the language, at A level you really get more into grammar and such. The subjects you study are also more mature too, as you move on from talking about yourself and your life to contemporary life and issues, such as television, health and the environment in year 12, then topics such as immigration and poverty in year 13. It's harder, but you've got a good start already and hard work does really pay off.
A language is also well respected and people are visibly impressed when you tell them you're studying one, so if you're into that it's good for your ego too :laugh:
I'd really recommend it, for me it was difficult but made me really passionate about language and was my favourite subject at a level. I loved it, and the topics are really fascinating.

Do you know what exam board you'd be studying under? The specification has probably changed for this year, but if you're an AQA student like I was then I could tell you more specifically about the course if you wanted. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending