The Student Room Group

RAF: Officer Job Selection

Hi,

I appreciate there may be similar threads to this but was seeking some quick advice.

I note from the careers website only a few officer roles ( ABM, Flight Operations Officer etc) are open for direct applications. All others, for example, Int Officer, Police Officer etc one needs to be ex- military personnel to apply. Is this likely to be for the long term as my goal is to apply for Int Officer?

However, in principle I want to be an RAF Officer and considering applying to the available direct roles as opposed to waiting for int officer to re-open (if it ever does)

Any thoughts on the above will be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi, not sure where you've read that you need to be ex-military for the police officer role, you don't. Most of the officer roles you have to have English and maths GCSE to a least a C and either 2 higher grade levels or a 2.2 degree. If you look at the raft careers website it details what qualifications you need for those specific roles.
Reply 2
Original post by cypskat
Hi, not sure where you've read that you need to be ex-military for the police officer role, you don't. Most of the officer roles you have to have English and maths GCSE to a least a C and either 2 higher grade levels or a 2.2 degree. If you look at the raft careers website it details what qualifications you need for those specific roles.

Every now and then, if there are too many applicants, they'll close the branch off, so it isn't unheard of for a branch to be closed to applicants, but it's never more than a temporary move.
Reply 3
Original post by cypskat

Hi thanks for the reply.

I found it on the website:
https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/roles/force-protection/raf-police-officer/

I am considering applying now, identifying the branch and hope that it re-opens during the process (perhaps long shot)
Reply 4
No worries! Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by PupilLAD
Hi thanks for the reply.

I found it on the website:
https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/roles/force-protection/raf-police-officer/

I am considering applying now, identifying the branch and hope that it re-opens during the process (perhaps long shot)

With the way the application process works these days I'm not sure you'll be able to do that. Ask the AFCO, but I'm 99% sure you can only apply for open branches.
Reply 6
Thanks both.

One last Q, I have completed a degree and masters but cannot remember the exact apportionments of my GCSE grades. For example, whether the B was in English language or Literature. I have a good idea (silly I know but it was many years ago) and tempted to put down what I think I had in these subjects. I don't want to look dishonest if the RAF conducted a search on my grades and incorrectly apportioned the grades (if they even do that ?)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks both.

One last Q, I have completed a degree and masters but cannot remember the exact apportionments of my GCSE grades. For example, whether the B was in English language or Literature. I have a good idea (silly I know but it was many years ago) and tempted to put down what I think I had in these subjects. I don't want to look dishonest if the RAF conducted a search on my grades and incorrectly apportioned the grades (if they even do that ?)

Try and find the records. They will ask you to prove you have the minimum requirements for the role.

And, you know, the ability to remember things is kinda important for Int, maybe work on that :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks both.

You'll need to provide your certificates to them anyway so that will solve your memory!
Hi,

All others, for example, Int Officer, Police Officer etc one needs to be ex- military personnel to apply.

You're reading it wrong. For RESERVE Forces roles, only qualified ex military may apply. It says nothing in the REGULAR Forces part of the page.
Reply 10
Original post by ProStacker
You're reading it wrong. For RESERVE Forces roles, only qualified ex military may apply. It says nothing in the REGULAR Forces part of the page.

Just re-read- how silly of me!! Thanks (Y)

Quick Reply

Latest