The Student Room Group

P6 vectors - distances

What else comes up in P6 vectors other than the following:

- Shortest distance between two lines.
- Shortest distance between a point and a plane

Do they ask about the shortest distance between a point and a line, how about a line and a plane, how about two planes?

Help! Would like a comprehensive list of anything which may come up tomorrow in this area.
Reply 1
fishpaste
What else comes up in P6 vectors other than the following:

- Shortest distance between two lines.
- Shortest distance between a point and a plane

Do they ask about the shortest distance between a point and a line, how about a line and a plane, how about two planes?

Help! Would like a comprehensive list of anything which may come up tomorrow in this area.

Shortest distance between a point and a line comes up in p3 if i'm not mistaken. A line and a plane will always intersect if they are not parallel so you can just use the method you'd use for point and a plane, taking any point on the line...
Reply 2
Need to be able to

determine whether a line lies in a plane, intersects a plane and find the p.o.i when it exists

find line of intersection of 2 non-parallel planes

find the perpendicular distance from a point to a plane and from a pointr to a line

find the angle between a line and a plane and the angle between 2 planes

find the shortest distance between 2 skew lines
Reply 3
Area of the parallelogram formed from the two vectors rings a bell as well. As does finding the angle between two planes (though that's pure 3 on my course, it's synoptic so may come up again).

Latest