The Student Room Group

Physics without Maths?

I've heard many people say that physics can be more challenging without maths than maths is without physics. I plan on maybe doing physics without maths. Is this a good idea? Any opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Maths and Physics are similar because they both use Formulas, but doing Physics on it's own will not be more challenging as the workload of Maths isn't hanging on your shoulders. It all depends on what you want to do in the future.

At the end of the day it is your choice, and your choice only.
Reply 2
Original post by AGalletly
Maths and Physics are similar because they both use Formulas, but doing Physics on it's own will not be more challenging as the workload of Maths isn't hanging on your shoulders. It all depends on what you want to do in the future.

At the end of the day it is your choice, and your choice only.

Yeah, I understand that. I always thought that if you were doing maths as well you would be able to refresh some of your mathematical knowledge to use in physics, making it easier to recall knowledge and answer the questions.

Thank you for replying! :smile:
Original post by LBS_187
Yeah, I understand that. I always thought that if you were doing maths as well you would be able to refresh some of your mathematical knowledge to use in physics, making it easier to recall knowledge and answer the questions.

Thank you for replying! :smile:

No Problem! :smile:
Out of interest what else are you thinking of taking at A-Level?
Reply 4
No Problem! :smile:
Out of interest what else are you thinking of taking at A-Level?

I want to do Chemistry, Biology and Law (Law because I really enjoy it and I think I'll do well in it, despite it not having any connection to my other subjects!) I was either thinking of doing physics or maths for the fourth, but not both because five subjects would be too much for me I think! The thing is, maths and physics often go hand in hand which is why I'm really struggling to make a decision!
Reply 5
Original post by LBS_187
I've heard many people say that physics can be more challenging without maths than maths is without physics. I plan on maybe doing physics without maths. Is this a good idea? Any opinions?

You'll find it harder at A2
Yeah that is a tough one. I think instead of thinking about how they go together, you should think about what one you would find more interesting. If I was you I would do some research into the subjects and see what you will be doing in those subjects.

I say Physics has a broader study topic, and In my opinion has more interesting topics such as : Particles and radiation, Mechanics and Materials and Nuclear Physics. Whereas Maths is quite limited, but still enjoyable.

I see why you are struggling. However I am doing Maths, Physics, History and Film Studies (film studies was recommended to me just to reduce the workload :smile: ) so I do not have that problem

P.S. I did Law and it was very interesting, just make sure you get some set answers and nail those into your mind!
:smile:
Reply 7
Yeah that is a tough one. I think instead of thinking about how they go together, you should think about what one you would find more interesting. If I was you I would do some research into the subjects and see what you will be doing in those subjects.

I say Physics has a broader study topic, and In my opinion has more interesting topics such as : Particles and radiation, Mechanics and Materials and Nuclear Physics. Whereas Maths is quite limited, but still enjoyable.

I see why you are struggling. However I am doing Maths, Physics, History and Film Studies (film studies was recommended to me just to reduce the workload :smile: ) so I do not have that problem

P.S. I did Law and it was very interesting, just make sure you get some set answers and nail those into your mind!
:smile:

Yeah, that's why I'm veering more towards doing physics I think. And I think I'd definitely be more interested in it. Ah awesome subjects! Good luck for that then! Out of curiosity, when do you start? Have you started yet?

And was it GCSE Law you did? I did Law at my college induction, and I enjoyed it so much! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by RonnieRJ
You'll find it harder at A2

Yeah, I'm hoping if I work hard I won't struggle as much. Is it the mathematical elements of physics you say I may find hard? Also, what exam board was your physics?

Thank you for your reply :smile:
Reply 9
Most of the maths you'll be doing in Physics is GCSE level, with my exam board the only thing higher than that was a few logs in A2 (which is a tiny unit in AS Maths, we spent about 1 lesson on it). Imo people usually over-exaggerate the usefulness of A level Maths in A level Physics so I don't see it being a huge problem
Original post by LBS_187
Yeah, that's why I'm veering more towards doing physics I think. And I think I'd definitely be more interested in it. Ah awesome subjects! Good luck for that then! Out of curiosity, when do you start? Have you started yet?

And was it GCSE Law you did? I did Law at my college induction, and I enjoyed it so much! :smile:

I am redoing my AS levels, my mistake was not working hard at all and treating them like GCSEs.

I start on the 8th September, and I did A-Level Law.
Reply 11
Original post by 1338
Most of the maths you'll be doing in Physics is GCSE level, with my exam board the only thing higher than that was a few logs in A2 (which is a tiny unit in AS Maths, we spent about 1 lesson on it). Imo people usually over-exaggerate the usefulness of A level Maths in A level Physics so I don't see it being a huge problem

Ah that's really helpful! Thank you!
After doing physics without maths (I got an A in maths at GCSE) at AS level, I can safely say the year was hellish, same with the girl who sat beside me who was in the same situation as me. I couldn't understand how to do equations, I was lost on the continuation questions. The only bit I could grasp with flying colours was the theory, where a lot of other people hated/couldn't understand. I guess you kinda just have to be that kind of mathy person to really appreciate the subject :/ (I like subjects that I can just learn facts and understand concepts, I do biology and geography so it's just using the same skills with the physics theory)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I am redoing my AS levels, my mistake was not working hard at all and treating them like GCSEs.

I start on the 8th September, and I did A-Level Law.

Ah cool! Sorry I just assumed it was GCSE because you said you were doing other subjects and I forgot about AS and A2 (we don't have that at ours, many of them (including the sciences) are linear two year courses :frown:)

Nice! I start on the 7th! All the best for that :smile:
I think it's fine if you don't do maths, the only things that helped me from maths were logs and trig graphs, but I could have easily read up on them if I didn't do maths. Also there's the use of radians but again it's not too complicated to figure out on your own.
Original post by LBS_187
Ah cool! Sorry I just assumed it was GCSE because you said you were doing other subjects and I forgot about AS and A2 (we don't have that at ours, many of them (including the sciences) are linear two year courses :frown:)

Nice! I start on the 7th! All the best for that :smile:

Thank You! :smile:
Good luck with the year!
Reply 16
Original post by Celebi899
After doing physics without maths (I got an A in maths at GCSE) at AS level, I can safely say the year was hellish, same with the girl who sat beside me who was in the same situation as me. I couldn't understand how to do equations, I was lost on the continuation questions. The only bit I could grasp with flying colours was the theory, where a lot of other people hated/couldn't understand. I guess you kinda just have to be that kind of mathy person to really appreciate the subject :/ (I like subjects that I can just learn facts and understand concepts, I do biology and geography so it's just using the same skills with the physics theory)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, sorry to hear that :frown:

Did they just expect you to know it and just carried on? Or did they explain it in any sort of detail?

I wouldn't describe myself as 'mathy' in terms of ability. I am interested in the subject and willing to work hard though, so I'm not sure whether that would be enough.

Thank you for replying!! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by LBS_187
Ah that's really helpful! Thank you!

Just another note, I think all the specifications are changing this year so if you have a look at your new one it should show you what sort of Maths you'll be expected to do :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Alex621
I think it's fine if you don't do maths, the only things that helped me from maths were logs and trig graphs, but I could have easily read up on them if I didn't do maths. Also there's the use of radians but again it's not too complicated to figure out on your own.

That's reassuring :smile: So if I put the effort into learning them there should be no problem?

(I know it won't be easy!)
Reply 19
Original post by 1338
Just another note, I think all the specifications are changing this year so if you have a look at your new one it should show you what sort of Maths you'll be expected to do :smile:

Yeah I'll definitely do that, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest