The Student Room Group

Taking a degree in a 'soft subject' doesn't mean you aren't clever

Scroll to see replies

Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
The question is:

Will a 2.2 in law be looked on more favourably than a first in media studies?

If they're both from an ex-poly then no. If the Law one is Oxford and the Media Studies is an ex poly then yes.

Original post by ByEeek
I think you are missing the point. What is the difference between the two following statements:

1. All degrees are hard. Some are harder than others.
2. All degrees are easy. Some are easier than others.

Strewth!

I did Electronics and Computing. It was moderately hard on reflection. However, if I had approached it like a 9-5 job, I would have aced it, it would have been easy and all my evenings and weekends would have been free to enjoy the student experience. Alas, if only one had hindsight at the time.

I can see the difference but it still stands that ''All degrees are easy'' is still a stupid thing to say because it's simply not true at all.
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Degrees such as History and Law should be seen in the same light as STEM.

Law by all means.
History, lolno.
Different people are good at different things. I would find it far harder to get a 1st in an essay based degree than in a quantitative exam based degree.
Yeah taking a "softer" subject doesn't mean you're stupid, it's your area of interest but what kinda gets on my tits is people getting £50k debt to go do 3 years of eg photography? You could do a short course or self reach for a fraction of that...
It is only a matter of time before the usual STEMnazis turn up. Dalek1099 and L'Evil Fish will be first I'm guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by richpanda
Because gender studies is as hard as astrophysics...

harder*
The fact is, getting a degree in any subject is a good way for a 18 year old to start getting their foot into their chosen industry, no matter which industry. It's something official that declares you are very knowledgeable and dedicated to a particular subject.
Reply 27
Original post by russellsteapot
The idea of 'mickey mouse' degrees on TSR tends to be used by insecure kids doing a particular degree who are likely at the bottom of their cohort, and need something to make themselves feel better, in the absence of being able to excel amongst their peers. Attacking someone else's degree is a perfect escape for them.

this. i did Maths at a russell group (Nottingham) and never heard this **** from my coursemates
Original post by RonnieRJ
Yeah taking a "softer" subject doesn't mean you're stupid, it's your area of interest but what kinda gets on my tits is people getting £50k debt to go do 3 years of eg photography? You could do a short course or self reach for a fraction of that...

Too much self reaching will make you go blind.
Original post by callum_law
I think we detected the history student.

At Warwick :tongue:
You're right.
It doesn't mean you're not clever, it means you have a degree in a soft subject :biggrin:
I think it kind of implies you lack common sense if you pick something "soft" full knowing you'll struggle to get employment at the end due to it being a low demand field and a field thats overcrowded with other graduates.
Original post by phoenixsilver
Law by all means.
History, lolno.

It breeds politicians, lawyers etc. Gordon brown etc
Reply 33
Original post by Rhythmical
Obviously to even get to university stage you must have some brains. I find it degrading when people on here bash degrees that are deemed 'Mickey Mouse' when they haven't even done it themselves. If you think it's a waste of time then why bother voicing your opinion when it won't affect the person doing the degree?

All degrees are hard. A degree
in film production doesn't just require theory work, it's also practical and if you haven't got the right vision then it'll be tough just like any other degree out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! everyone calls me a noob for taking software engineering. I know it's got soft in the name but it's a hard course yo!
Original post by Lemon Haze
The fact is, getting a degree in any subject is a good way for a 18 year old to start getting their foot into their chosen industry, no matter which industry. It's something official that declares you are very knowledgeable and dedicated to a particular subject.

Take a look at the employment statistics of graduates and then say that again without grinning. Truth of the fact is too many people are going after the lucrative jobs. The economy was not built to be lucrative for everyone. Some people will sadly always be forced to remain working in the worst jobs society has to offer if any. Only a third of graduates are getting into their desired industries, the rest ending up either unemployed or horrendously underemployed in dumps like Tesco or ending up as baristas. Its not a differentiator anymore to have a degree. The ones laughing now are the apprentices, just a few years ago they were laughed at for being idiots for not going to university. Now many are rolling in the dough. I'd go so far to argue that university is now an utter waste of time and demonstrates a degree of stupidity for committing to something for so long without a guarantee of employment
Original post by Maker
I think people doing mickey mouse degrees are quite clever because its easier to get a good grade with an easy subject than a hard one.

A 2.1 in media is better than a 2.2 in history if applying for grad schemes.

It's not that simple, I did linguistics and languages and we did everything from formal logic through social science to literature as well as practice-based stuff like interpreting. The latter was by far the hardest for me and I got the worst grades in that even though people generally consider that sort of stuff easier and it's the sort of thing often covered in for example media.
Original post by Rhythmical

All degrees are hard.

lol nope.

I came on here to point out that many highly intelligent and capable people study things like history and philosophy, and that if you don't think things like that are worthy of study you're a complete idiot, but if we're talking about degrees like fashion design or golf course management then it's obvious that the vast majority of people who study them are not the most academically gifted.
Original post by RonnieRJ

Truest statement of all time ever.
Doing such degrees like Photography or women studies, or cooking doesn't mean you're not clever but it should be viewed as a decision that is not very clever.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
lol nope.

I came on here to point out that many highly intelligent and capable people study things like history and philosophy, and that if you don't think things like that are worthy of study you're a complete idiot, but if we're talking about degrees like fashion design or golf course management then it's obvious that the vast majority of people who study them are not the most academically gifted.

True that many things stirs one's interest, but I don't think it's true that history or philosophy are not demanding subjects. I am not sure if you're implying they are.
Original post by callum_law
True that many things stirs one's interest, but I don't think it's true that history or philosophy are not demanding subjects. I am not sure if you're implying they are.

I'm not sure if you've written what you meant to here.

They probably require less work to get any particular grade than some other subjects. I don't think that's really what's in discussion though. There are serious, thoughtful history students and there are maths students who will scrape through just doing what's needed. Between those subjects there are 'clever' students and less clever ones. That's what the OP was about and that's all I'm claiming.

It's a little cliché but I'd also point out that different degrees require different skills. If you're studying philosophy you'll need to be good at thinking in the abstract. I did a legal philosophy paper during my law degree. A lot of the law students who took it found it really tough, because the content was much more abstract than they were used to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending