The Student Room Group

dry mouth and job interview - KINDA URGENT!

I have my first real job interview tomorrow but I have a pretty huge problem. The medication I'm on combined with my anxiety makes my mouth super dry whenever I talk to someone. I mean so dry that it becomes completely impossible to talk.

When I see my psychiatrist I take a bottle of water and sip every few minutes. If I'm seeing someone else, like for example an optician, I chew on gum which also helps.

Problem is can I really drink water during a job interview? I know I definitely can't chew gum..... :s-smilie: I just thought of this now for an interview tomorrow.

I don't know what to do....help!
Original post by Anonymous
I have my first real job interview tomorrow but I have a pretty huge problem. The medication I'm on combined with my anxiety makes my mouth super dry whenever I talk to someone. I mean so dry that it becomes completely impossible to talk.

When I see my psychiatrist I take a bottle of water and sip every few minutes. If I'm seeing someone else, like for example an optician, I chew on gum which also helps.

Problem is can I really drink water during a job interview? I know I definitely can't chew gum..... :s-smilie: I just thought of this now for an interview tomorrow.

Apologise and carry on. Drink if you must. Say you're on medication. He'll understand.

It's not the end of the world if you don't land the job but your interviewer must base his decision on your skills and aptitude. But for this to work, you have to talk and be honest about yourself. That means mention the medication if you think it might affect the job or be disruptive in the environment you want to work in.

I think I would have a sip just before it starts so I would at least be able to introduce myself and stuff . . . Well, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by mr.purplelambkin
Apologise and carry on. Drink if you must. Say you're on medication. He'll understand.

It's not the end of the world if you don't land the job but your interviewer must base his decision on your skills and aptitude. But for this to work, you have to talk and be honest about yourself. That means mention the medication if you think it might affect the job or be disruptive in the environment you want to work in.

I think I would have a sip just before it starts so I would at least be able to introduce myself and stuff . . . Well, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that my medication will probably affect the job but is mentioning that at the interview really a good idea? I take antipsychotics and antidepressants so there's a fair bit of stigma surrounding that. I mean I want the job and it's illegal for them to ask about health conditions......just wondering whether to say it's because of anxiety (could be a very bad idea??) or just to drink and not give any explanation? I don't know. :s-smilie:
Reply 3

If the medication is for your anxiety I wouldn't recommend mentioning it, employers like confident and outgoing people so he could see it as a deal breaker. But I think drinking water is absolutely fine, do it as often as you need just maybe not while the employer is talking as it may make them think you're not listening and can come across as rude. Let them say what they have to say and while they pause to hear your response take a sip first and then start talking. Do this each time between question and answer, remember there is no rush. And make sure the water is in a see through water bottle e.g evian bottle and not an opaque one just so they know you're drinking water and not something else. Also maybe skip your morning coffee/tea as that tends to make your mouth even more dry.
Reply 4
Original post by Mason_
If the medication is for your anxiety I wouldn't recommend mentioning it, employers like confident and outgoing people so he could see it as a deal breaker. But I think drinking water is absolutely fine, do it as often as you need just maybe not while the employer is talking as it may make them think you're not listening and can come across as rude. Let them say what they have to say and while they pause to hear your response take a sip first and then start talking. Do this each time between question and answer, remember there is no rush. And make sure the water is in a see through water bottle e.g evian bottle and not an opaque one just so they know you're drinking water and not something else. Also maybe skip your morning coffee/tea as that tends to make your mouth even more dry.

Cool, thanks for the response. :smile:

I was thinking of turning up with the water bottle in my left hand so I can shake his with my right and drink during the interview without having to go digging in my bag to find the bottle once it starts. Do you think that would be ok?

I did think that saying the medication was for anxiety would be a bad idea. I actually haven't worked for 5 years, mostly because of MH issues so really want this job and definitely don't want my MH to hold me back once again. :colondollar:
Reply 5
At the beginning of the interview, simply inform the interviewer that due to medication you take you get an extremely dry mouth and as a result have had to bring a bottle of water with you to your interview. You don't have to explain why you're taking medication or what medication you're taking, just say this and the interviewer will understand. Good luck!
Reply 6
Cool, thanks for the response. :smile:

I was thinking of turning up with the water bottle in my left hand so I can shake his with my right and drink during the interview without having to go digging in my bag to find the bottle once it starts. Do you think that would be ok?

I did think that saying the medication was for anxiety would be a bad idea. I actually haven't worked for 5 years, mostly because of MH issues so really want this job and definitely don't want my MH to hold me back once again. :colondollar:

Yeah that sounds good. As the post above says you don't have to tell them what the medication is for, unless you think there is a chance the employer will ask. Don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll do great and at the end of the day it's just a job, there's a lot more to life than work.
Reply 7
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought you meant dry mouth from smoking weed aha
Reply 8
Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. Feel a lot more confident now. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest