The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Any advice for what to bring? (James College)

I've been through all of the uni's pages on what's recommended to take with me when I'm moving in, but I'm also looking for any more advice.

Also, a few questions for anyone who's been before:
1) What do we have to take for bedding? The site says "quilt, sheet, pillow, bed covers" my English is far from perfect... does that mean the covers for all of those things? Or all of those things, and bed covers?

2) I can't find an inventory of what the accommodation blocks have, how do people dry their clothes? Are their driers? Are basic things like bins (for the room) or lamps provided?

3) What's in the kitchen?

4) I was looking in the resident's handbook, what exactly are we expected to do cleaning wise? I'm unsure about our rooms, but for the kitchens I got the impression that we don't really need to deliberately clean the kitchens, it's more than we just have to make sure we clean up any mess we make, if that makes sense.

5) What exactly do I get for the price of the contract?

6) I'm also confused about the bedding pack we can buy, pages like 'What to bring to James' imply that only international students can get it, but other pages seem to advertise it without that clause.
(edited 8 years ago)
Heya I'm a little lost as to what to bring to haha. What block are you in? I'm in James block H .
https://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/james/
Maybe have a look at that if you haven't already
(edited 8 years ago)
University of York
York
Reply 2
I've done a bit more digging, updates in bold. This page was a very useful find.
Original post by BecauseFP

1) What do we have to take for bedding? The site says "quilt, sheet, pillow, bed covers" my English is far from perfect... does that mean the covers for all of those things? Or all of those things, and bed covers?
The bedding pack page implies it's the latter. This page confirms it "All bedrooms come equipped with a single bed with mattress and mattress cover, a desk and chair, a desk lamp, bookshelves, and a wastepaper bin".

2) I can't find an inventory of what the accommodation blocks have, how do people dry their clothes? Are their driers? Are basic things like bins (for the room) or lamps provided?
Once again, it's all in the tabs of this page, "James College students have the choice of two laundries, both equipped with washing machines and tumble dryers. The first is to be found within the James nucleus (opposite Block N). The second laundry is situated behind Block F." and as for lamps and bins, see #1.

3) What's in the kitchen?
Same source as before "All kitchens are equipped with a hob, oven, fridge, freezer, microwave, and kettle", it seems that there's no equipment left for us, which makes me slightly worried for the times where the catered students are not catered and may not be going home, for example, Easter.

4) I was looking in the resident's handbook, what exactly are we expected to do cleaning wise? I'm unsure about our rooms, but for the kitchens I got the impression that we don't really need to deliberately clean the kitchens, it's more than we just have to make sure we clean up any mess we make, if that makes sense.
More digging required.

5) What exactly do I get for the price of the contract?
All I can dig up is that it's all of the bills seem to be included, but this page makes it clear that we get insurance the insurance as part of the bill.

6) I'm also confused about the bedding pack we can buy, pages like 'What to bring to James' imply that only international students can get it, but other pages seem to advertise it without that clause.
I'm still lost here, I'll probably email.

Also, I've been told that we get free membership into the York Sports Union Club, but do we have to pay to use any of the facilities? For example, the gym?
Original post by BecauseFP
I've done a bit more digging, updates in bold. This page was a very useful find.

Also, I've been told that we get free membership into the York Sports Union Club, but do we have to pay to use any of the facilities? For example, the gym?

Look here:

https://www.york.ac.uk/students/new/undergraduate/home/what-to-bring/
You can buy a bedding pack but you only get 1 duvet cover and 1 bottom sheet and you might not want to wait on them drying before you go to bed.

If you want to eat then bring the utensils you will need plus boil water and fry something.
Reply 4
Original post by tiredteddy
https://www.york.ac.uk/students/new/undergraduate/home/what-to-bring/
You can buy a bedding pack but you only get 1 duvet cover and 1 bottom sheet and you might not want to wait on them drying before you go to bed.

I'm aware of the bedding pack, but the 'What to bring to James' page says it's only for international students.
Reply 5
I sent off an email, they've told me that the info on the James page is incorrect - anyone can order a bedding pack.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending