The Student Room Group

Possibly cannot afford Cambridge. What are my options?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
Firstly, its only +3% if you're over a certain income threshold isn't it? So you're calculating worst case scenario rather than necessarily true scenario.

Secondly, that's potentially the wrong comparison anyway. On the assumption that the OP is going to try to own a property at some point after graduating, true comparison is student loan vs mortgage rates (IF mortgage rates are higher than the alternatives, which they might not be now but if interest rates rise I'd expect it would be), with your calculation applying pre-mortgage only.

OR

He could spend it on an awesome holiday before he's pinned into a soul-sucking job and/or old and decrepit.

In order:
Yes - worst case (I noted that in an earlier post - but given OPs ability to pay outright I imagine this will be the case anyway...)
Yes - potentially. And also property values will (most likely) be rising too in the long term.
Yes - probably the best solution :smile:
Original post by klegend02
The last plan... what a fantastic idea. Will need some help to spend the full 27k on a single holiday though. Maybe I should invite everyone who contributed, as a thanks for giving me the idea? :wink:

Me! me! me! me!
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by klegend02
Ever read The Black Swan?

By the way, I think the Volkswagen Group diesel testing "problem" can be classed as a Black Swan :wink:

Thankfully I don't hold any VW (or automotive) shares...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending