The Student Room Group

Possibly cannot afford Cambridge. What are my options?

I am applying to Cambridge from the U.S. I really want to go there because it has a renowned math and physics program, it is beautiful physically, and it gives me the oppurtunity to study math and physics exclusively.

From what other have told me, it seems that I have a decent chance at least of being made an offer.

I am now just realising that studying in the UK is extremley expensive for international students, because UK universities only offer financial aid to UK/EU students. I have calculated that an education at Cambridge would cost 35,000 pounds a year, or roughly $60,000. However this does not factor in the trips I will make from UK to U.S to visit my family, which will probably add another $10,000-$15,000 a year. Thus I am looking at $75,000 with no possiblity of financial aid from Cambridge.

What are my options? It really would be a shame if I was admitted to Cambridge but could not attend because of financial limitations. Can I get some sort of student loan?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Trinitymaths
I am applying to Cambridge from the U.S. I really want to go there because it has a renowned math and physics program, it is beautiful physically, and it gives me the oppurtunity to study math and physics exclusively.

From what other have told me, it seems that I have a decent chance at least of being made an offer.

I am now just realising that studying in the UK is extremley expensive for international students, because UK universities only offer financial aid to UK/EU students. I have calculated that an education at Cambridge would cost 35,000 pounds a year, or roughly $60,000. However this does not factor in the trips I will make from UK to U.S to visit my family, which will probably add another $10,000-$15,000 a year. Thus I am looking at $75,000 with no possiblity of financial aid from Cambridge.

What are my options? It really would be a shame if I was admitted to Cambridge but could not attend because of financial limitations. Can I get some sort of student loan?

No.
Im not so sure but aren't there scholarships of some sort lurking around?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scholarships maybe. Loans lol
Reply 4
Hi. I am no expert but you could look into applying for scholarships if you qualify.
I am from the UK and here we pay £9,000 a year for tuition fees. We don't pay them upfront, though. We get student loans and pay them back when we're older, once we earn (I think this is correct) over £21,000 per year. These loans are interest free. We also have to pay back around £3,500 of interest-free loans which we were given to help with living costs. We have to pay for accommodation though, and that is not paid for by a loan.
Okay/ I just did some research and it says about Non-EU students: "Essentially, loans are only available to students who have lived in the UK for at least three years before the beginning of their course." so you probably can't get a student loan from the UK. Maybe look into funding you could get from the US?
Do your parents have a college fund?
I am going to Oxford this year and from visits I have made and things I have looked into, it seems that Oxbridge are really enthusiastic in ensuring that people who think they will have financial difficulty still apply to them. They offer bursaries to some people.
I have seen lots of American students studying in the UK so it must be possible somehow. Some universities in the US have exchanges with UK unis so maybe this would be possible with Cambridge (ie go to school in the US but study in England for one year).
I really hope that, if Cambridge is where you want to go, you don't disregard it for financial reasons. At the same time I know you'll have to be realistic and if you can't afford it then going elsewhere might be your only option. Still look into other unis in the US; maybe you haven't considered others if you are fixated on Cambridge?
I am so sorry that money has got in the way of studying where you want to. I really resent the governments for making education so unaffordable for those who want it.

Revision: loans are not interest free. Thanks for everyone for letting me know!
(edited 8 years ago)

You can borrow in the US.
By student loan I mean from the U.S obviously.

It is much less expensive to study in the U.S because universities offer financial aid, but I do have a preference for Cambridge. Of course I am applying to U.S universities...

As far as the American students studying in the UK... I don't know how they do it... they must be really rich or something...
By student loan I mean from the U.S obviously.

It is much less expensive to study in the U.S because universities offer financial aid, but I do have a preference for Cambridge. Of course I am applying to U.S universities...

As far as the American students studying in the UK... I don't know how they do it... they must be really rich or something...

There're lots of financial supports both from the university and government in UK, too, but they're exclusively for home students (and some for EU students, too).
They have some scholarship for international students only, but its availability is quite limited, unfortunately. But you can find the info here, if you haven't looked at it yet.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/financial-support

There's a few foundations/organisation in UK that offer grant/scholarship to international students studying in UK (sorry, can't remember the names right now...), but they're mostly for postgraduate (mainly PhD) studies.
Original post by legache
Hi. I am no expert but you could look into applying for scholarships if you qualify.
I am from the UK and here we pay £9,000 a year for tuition fees. We don't pay them upfront, though. We get student loans and pay them back when we're older, once we earn (I think this is correct) over £21,000 per year. These loans are interest free. We also have to pay back around £3,500 of interest-free loans which we were given to help with living costs. We have to pay for accommodation though, and that is not paid for by a loan.
Okay/ I just did some research and it says about Non-EU students: "Essentially, loans are only available to students who have lived in the UK for at least three years before the beginning of their course." so you probably can't get a student loan from the UK. Maybe look into funding you could get from the US?
I am going to Oxford this year and from visits I have made and things I have looked into, it seems that Oxbridge are really enthusiastic in ensuring that people who think they will have financial difficulty still apply to them. They offer bursaries to some people.
I have seen lots of American students studying in the UK so it must be possible somehow. Some universities in the US have exchanges with UK unis so maybe this would be possible with Cambridge (ie go to school in the US but study in England for one year).
I really hope that, if Cambridge is where you want to go, you don't disregard it for financial reasons. At the same time I know you'll have to be realistic and if you can't afford it then going elsewhere might be your only option. Still look into other unis in the US; maybe you haven't considered others if you are fixated on Cambridge?
I am so sorry that money has got in the way of studying where you want to. I really resent the governments for making education so unaffordable for those who want it.

Just FYI, the financial situation the international students studying in UK have to face is completely different from that of UK/EU students.
When you start at Oxford I'm sure you'll meet some of them, from all over the world, and learn how much their family (sometimes their relatives, too) back home have to pay to send their son/daughter to study in UK, sometimes with huge sacrifice in their life. It's always a humbling experience listening to some of their story. But many of the internationals are there because their family can afford it.
(edited 8 years ago)
For overseas students, it costs about the same as a US education would. Nonetheless, I would encourage you to apply because Oxbridge is everything it is cracked up to me. My daughter, who is both American and Irish, is at Cam and as a EU resident qualified for EU fees. If you get in, I wish you the best of luck to find a way.
Original post by alcibiade
For overseas students, it costs about the same as a US education would. Nonetheless, I would encourage you to apply because Oxbridge is everything it is cracked up to me. My daughter, who is both American and Irish, is at Cam and as a EU resident qualified for EU fees. If you get in, I wish you the best of luck to find a way.

OP is not qualified for EU fees. And if he goes to universities in US, there're lots of financial supports available which he cannot get if he goes to unis in UK. I thought this was the whole point of his question?
Hi

Here are some pages that answer questions about funding for medical school, with lots of useful links as well:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/ucas/finances/

Hope this helps!

TMP
Reply 12
Doesn't the FAFSA give financial aid to study abroad?
Original post by klegend02
Can I ask how you've calculated 35k per year? The tuition fee for maths is 16.8k pa (at the moment). If you say you haven't factored in transport to and from the USA, doesn't 18.2k pa seem like rather a lot for food, accomodation, visa costs etc? Might not be, of course, I'm just guessing, but the university website recommends a minimum of 9.4k pa, depending on lifestyle, so it may be half what you estimated. Also worth bearing in mind some colleges (eg St John's) let you keep your room over the short break for free. Have you tried the Fulbright Commission?
If you're applying to natural sciences, your estimate is probably right, but if you're only interested in maths/ physics, have you thought about applying to Maths with physics and saving yourself 6k+ pa?
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/fees

Note the College Fees section on the link you posted.
Reply 14
You can potentially get a loan from the US. I took out a loan from an Austrian bank for my masters. Alternatively, why don't you apply to US unis and do a year abroad? Some of the better unis have exchange programmes with Oxford and Cambridge.
Jeez, at that price you'd be better off going to Harvard or an Ivy League. Then again student loans out in the US are more aggressive on repayments due to it being government guaranteed. Why not look at some of the fabulous institutions in the Nordic nations. Cambridge is overhyped anyway next to the Ivy League
Original post by vincrows
OP is not qualified for EU fees. And if he goes to universities in US, there're lots of financial supports available which he cannot get if he goes to unis in UK. I thought this was the whole point of his question?

Precisely. I know that Cambridge is quite good with financial aid for UK students, but offers essentially no help to internationals, which is understandable.
Original post by legache

They're not interest free. Interest is currently set at 5.5%
Original post by klegend02
Can I ask how you've calculated 35k per year? The tuition fee for maths is 16.8k pa (at the moment). If you say you haven't factored in transport to and from the USA, doesn't 18.2k pa seem like rather a lot for food, accomodation, visa costs etc? Might not be, of course, I'm just guessing, but the university website recommends a minimum of 9.4k pa, depending on lifestyle, so it may be half what you estimated. Also worth bearing in mind some colleges (eg St John's) let you keep your room over the short break for free. Have you tried the Fulbright Commission?
If you're applying to natural sciences, your estimate is probably right, but if you're only interested in maths/ physics, have you thought about applying to Maths with physics and saving yourself 6k+ pa?
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/fees

There is the tuition fee of 16,800 pounds for maths yearly, plus the college fee at trinity which is 12,000 pounds yearly. Then living expenses is about 8000 pounds per year. So about 37,000 pounds yearly. Thats like $50,000. Add another 10,000 for travel expenses.

I am not eligible for a Fullbright scholarship.

"but if you're only interested in maths/ physics, have you thought about applying to Maths with physics and saving yourself 6k+ pa?" What do you mean. Maths is 16,800 pounds. Is maths with physics less? If so, that would be super helpful.
Original post by Chr0n
You can potentially get a loan from the US. I took out a loan from an Austrian bank for my masters. Alternatively, why don't you apply to US unis and do a year abroad? Some of the better unis have exchange programmes with Oxford and Cambridge.

I am applying to U.S universities and I would love to do a year abroad. Just examining all my options. wouldn't make a fuss if I went to Harvard or MIT but could not afford to go to Cambridge... :wink:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending