The Student Room Group

Outdated Laws - and discriminatory

I have got a disability, and feel this is discriminatory.

I am no longer eligible for financial support for my Open University degree, as I am only doing a part-time course and have been told I have done 6 years. I feel this is discriminatory, as I am on a low income and have Cerebral Palsy. An appeal wasn't any good, nor was an email to the OU explaining that they should take each case and deal with it separately, rather than one rule for everybody!

Also, I cannot apply for a Loan (that I wouldn't have to pay back anyway), as:
In order to be eligible to apply for a loan, you will need to to either:a) choose a significantly different qualification (and you will be unable to migrate more than 60 credits of your current study (if applicable) to the new qualification)orb) take a break in study of one academic yearEither of these options will result in you no longer being eligible for Transitional Arrangements and thus, the higher fees will apply (c. £2700.00 per 60 credits).

(copied from an email sent to me.)

I believe the law on this needs to be changed as this is ludicrous and I don't believe there is a real, valid reason for it!-
Reply 1
It is only discriminatory if you're treated differently because of your disability. Sadly this rule would be the same for any part-time OU student.

There's no legal concept of discrimination due to low income.
The rules under the old system were that it couldn't take you longer than 50% of the time it took a full time student to finish their studies, if you were receiving funding.
Reply 3
Who made the rule up that you have to take a gap year before you get funding?!
Original post by tommy2k10
Who made the rule up that you have to take a gap year before you get funding?!

The OU have advised you of this because this is what would be required to shift you from the old Part Time Grants system (which you are on due to the start date of your course) to the new Part Time Loans system. If you were shifted onto the new Part Time Loans system, you would have to pay the loans back, unlike the Part Time Grants you have been receiving, but you would be eligible for the loan, because the minimum course intensity is 25% on the new system. You have to understand, this is an entirely different system with completely different rules.

When the student loans system was significantly overhauled in 2012, anyone on a course that started before 2012 retained eligibility for the old system. The only way to shift your eligibility from the old system to the new system would be to either change courses to a significantly different one (so that it is not classed as a transfer) or take a voluntary break in studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending