The Student Room Group

What is the HARDEST A LEVEL (POLL)-LETS END THE DEBATE

Poll

HARDEST A LEVEL

The main ones are further maths physics biology and chemistry as and a levels i have discovered in recent threads but this poll shall settle it
also comment which you think is the hardest a level and why and what the jump from gcse is like compared to others
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Subject: further maths (definitely)

Reason: if I done that a level, I would have gotten a Z lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Physics. I get nightmares about it.
Physics hands down :angry:
Reply 4
Original post by youreanutter
The main ones are further maths physics biology and chemistry as and a levels i have discovered in recent threads but this poll shall settle it
also comment which you think is the hardest a level and why

Physics- it has the biggest jump from GCSE and is the most abstract science when you start delving into quantum mechanics and astrophysics. Chemistry is really just a specified area of physics really, not to say its not its own subject, but it crosses over with physics a lot. Also, both biology and chemistry rely on work in quantum mechanics to explain stuff like, the behaviour of atoms and elements in chemistry at subatomic level, and DNA in biology at microscopic level. Further maths and maths exams are not too bad compared to the sciences as they are not always badly worded and questions are repeated consistently with one or two exceptions. Physics though, has the most application in the exams which means that even if you remember all the content and practise exams, you may still fail since the exams differ from year to year. Although the maths involved at A level is not too hard I must admit. Further maths isn't really a harder type of maths, I always say it should be additional maths as that's what it is! Depending on what your school.has chosen in maths as your modules, you just do some of the remaining modules. The only thing that's hard is that your doing twice as much maths!
Apparently some unis see physics and history to be the same level of difficulty.

source: old physics teacher from my school haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics fo' sure
Reply 7
I've seen people that got B's and above in Physics and Maths at GCSE, fail at A-Level, most of them always called it luck when they even got a pass in mocks exams or actual exams.
I picked Chemistry because I found my 2nd exam a killer.
Many people I know would've thought I would pick maths as I got 80/300 in it but that was because I pretty much went on strike during maths lessons as I hated my maths teacher.
I am shocked to see why many people think physics is hard as I took that as well as was 1 mark off a B in AS so I find it really easy.
Reply 9
Lol why is biology an option in the poll?
Original post by RonnieRJ
Lol why is biology an option in the poll?

some people on other threads said the sheer amount of content makes it the hardest idk tho
but as i remember u from another thread u have photographic memory which must make it 10x easier for u
Out of my four ASs I'd put Geography as the hardest over Further Maths and Physics... I guess I'm just wired up wrong :tongue:
Further maths. My physics A-level had a practical exam, which was harder than the written paper for me. But further maths required more work... especially FP2, which when I did it was hyperbolic functions and advanced integration. I had to work through every single exercise in the textbook to feel confident enough for the exam.

They've since re-jigged the syllabus so it's no longer all together I gather. At the time it just seemed all the hardest stuff was in one module.
Original post by youreanutter
some people on other threads said the sheer amount of content makes it the hardest idk tho
but as i remember u from another thread u have photographic memory which must make it 10x easier for u

True, but it's definitely not hard content wise :wink:
bruv all u r wet dons btec football is the hardest
You cant just limit it to a few a levels- what about the humanities? If you want to "end the debate" surely make a poll of all the a levels.
Original post by Alexion
Out of my four ASs I'd put Geography as the hardest over Further Maths and Physics... I guess I'm just wired up wrong :tongue:

if ya boi don't mind me asking what did u cop in geography
IMO, Physics is hell on earth.

I'm only doing GCSEs so I can't comment on A Levels but oh my good lord physics is awful.

I'm self teaching myself further maths GCSE and tbh it's 100% more tolerable than Physics.

Physics can go die.
Yes biology, that's really hard. Don't you want people to take this poll seriously?
You may as well include geology

Quick Reply

Latest