The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hevachan
I really don't know, I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few weeks and I am still undecided.. people would much rather come to the uk where the public are already sick of immigration which will cause even more racial tension.. however these people need somewhere to go... if only everywhere in Europe would work together and despurse them evenly.. I'm sure Germans don't want their mostly untouched culture to be altered by this massive change. I don't know :'( I need a lie down

Why dont other countries take them
Why only the Europe should take them
Original post by slade p
Yes Britain should take more refugees, Britain is part of reason why there is a problem.

So is America. Why dont they go to america?
Original post by SBKA
My main issue with the current tone of the refugee/immigrant argument at the moment is that both sides make sweeping generalisations. Obviously it is the standard rhetoric from the far right, i.e "They're all terrorists, etc".

What I find surprising is the rhetoric from the 'liberal' left, such as "All of these people are refugees" and "Britain is at fault for the problems in these various countries, we have a moral duty to accommodate these poor people"

Both arguments are plainly wrong, but it is the moral superiority with which the 'liberal' left states theirs that annoys me most.

Errrr no. The right points out the obvious:

-More people
-More demand on housing
-More demand on pretty much everything
-They're from a culture where crime is acceptable

Whats wrong with this?
Original post by looseseal
The fact that we've only accepted just over 200 Syrian refugees when 4 million have been displaced by a war that we helped happen is pretty disgraceful. You can't try and play the role of a world police force and then not clean up when the inevitable fall out occurs.

Other developed EU countries are taking tens of thousands (even hundreds in some cases) and we haven't even taken enough to fill a moderately sized civil airliner. It's outrageous. These refugees are people too and are in dire need of somewhere safe to stay. It's not their fault that our government supported the rebels that are now running amuck in their country. Their whole way of life has been destabilised and we contributed to that. It's only fair we offer them a helping hand.

Where the hell did people's humanity go? If this was WWII, would you be in the camp denying Jewish people a safe haven? Of course we don't have to take all 4 million Syrian refugees but we need to take a lot more than we already have and try and find a diplomatic solution to the situation in Syria.

Firstly, Britain partly created the problem along with USA. I dont see any refugees going to the USA. Secondly Britain is already over populated, so letting more people in when there is so much unemployment and lack of housing would be unwise. Other EU countries like Germany and Iceland are not this populated. Also, why should only Europe take the refugees when there are so many better countries out there that can take them. Why should Europe have to carry the baggage in every situation. If every country took refugees equally it would be fine but obviously thats not the case atm
Original post by FlyingNinja1
Firstly, Britain partly created the problem along with USA. I dont see any refugees going to the USA. Secondly Britain is already over populated, so letting more people in when there is so much unemployment and lack of housing would be unwise. Other EU countries like Germany and Iceland are not this populated. Also, why should only Europe take the refugees when there are so many better countries out there that can take them. Why should Europe have to carry the baggage in every situation. If every country took refugees equally it would be fine but obviously thats not the case atm

Because other countries arent Britain, where left-wing ****ers like using right-wing taxpayer money to throw at useless people.
Original post by billydisco
Oh shut up and go read the Guardian mate. Places like Tower Hamlets are already becoming no-go zones for whites. We've already had the ISIS flag flown in TH and the Palestinian flag flown from the council offices. My own home town has been destroyed by immigration, first in the 90s from Kosovans and now from EU immigrants "East of the Berlin wall".

So why would any British person want their towns ruined by these people?

The idea that Kidderminster, which is 94.7% White British with only 1% of white residents having been born outside the UK, has been "destroyed by immigration" from Eastern Europe is maybe the most pathetic, whinging example of victim mentality I have ever heard.

Indeed, a near majority of Kidderminster residents born outside the UK are British or Irish! Just nine hundred people in the town come from EU countries that acceded after 2001. They could fit behind one of the goals at Kidderminster Harriers FC.
(edited 8 years ago)
Answer my question.

Why don't you fund thousands of immigrants personally, instead of spending other people's money?

Principally because it's terribly inefficient and insecure compared to other options, as I have alluded to.
Original post by FlyingNinja1

You can't expect to have a hand in causing an issue and then wash your hands of all the problems it causes. It'd be the equivalent of a middle-sized oil company causing an oil spill and expecting Shell to clean it up. The world doesn't work that way. No matter our situation, we had a hand in creating this "migrant crisis" so we should take responsibility for solving it. This kind of "I'm alright jack" attitude is slowly permeating through British society and I find it quite despicable. We don't exist in a bubble.

If you expect the UK to maintain diplomatic ties with countries in Europe then you need to realise it comes with certain responsibilities. The world doesn't exist purely to benefit the UK so we should stop acting so entitled and expecting that it does.
Original post by scrotgrot
The idea that Kidderminster, which is 94.7% White British with only 1% of white residents having been born outside the UK, has been "destroyed by immigration" from Eastern Europe is maybe the most pathetic, whinging example of victim mentality I have ever heard.

Indeed, a near majority of Kidderminster residents born outside the UK are British or Irish! Just nine hundred people in the town come from EU countries that acceded after 2001. They could fit behind one of the goals at Kidderminster Harriers FC.

The fact you believe i put my real location on an internet profile doesn't surprise me.....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Augvstus
Malta is more densely populated than the UK.

"One of", then. And the rest of what I said still stands.
Original post by Skip_Snip
We're already the most densely populated place in Europe, and already have a housing shortage and public services are being stretched. So yeah, let's keep it to a minimum.

No, you didn't say "one of."
The fact you believe i'm put my real location on an internet profile doesn't surprise me.....

Doesn't really matter: you could equally be from Kidderminster as wherever you are from. If you are going to talk about your home town to prove a point you need to indicate to us where that is so we can look into your claims. If you are from a place like Bradford, Luton, Leicester or the rural east of England where all these immigrants seem to be then OK, but you're just unlucky and shouldn't be imposing your reality on the rest of the country.

Ironically in light of the debate on how to spread these immigrants around Europe, it seems a means by which immigrants to the UK could be spread around, such as social housing, looks like the solution to local concentrations of immigrants. But I guess you are only in favour of that when it means less immigrants for you.
White people who want a future in their ancestral homeland
and to preserve their many ethnic groups and cultures = racism, fascism

Really? I don't see non-White nations destroying themselves like this

Cultural Marxists should be shot, they've done more harm to Europe than the Soviets and Nazi's combined
Original post by Augvstus
No, you didn't say "one of."

But the rest of what I said still stands.
No! We already have a housing crisis where are these people going to live? How are we going go get them into work? It is going to put a strain on the NHS which is already in a bad state as it is. I don't know why Merkel says 'equal distrubution' when countries are already struggling. We need to tighten the southern borders, cut down on people smugglers and help people in the countries that they came from so they don't have to leave, or talk to their government... well if they care.
Original post by looseseal
You can't expect to have a hand in causing an issue and then wash your hands of all the problems it causes. It'd be the equivalent of a middle-sized oil company causing an oil spill and expecting Shell to clean it up. The world doesn't work that way. No matter our situation, we had a hand in creating this "migrant crisis" so we should take responsibility for solving it. This kind of "I'm alright jack" attitude is slowly permeating through British society and I find it quite despicable. We don't exist in a bubble.

If you expect the UK to maintain diplomatic ties with countries in Europe then you need to realise it comes with certain responsibilities. The world doesn't exist purely to benefit the UK so we should stop acting so entitled and expecting that it does.

Well America did have a bigger hand in on this cause. America is a superpower and america is the 2nd largest country. So why dont the refugees go to america?
Whereas Britain is already populated with migrants, is a much smaller country and we are already in a deficit. Our country is already going down the drain since we are handing out so much benefits (mainly to migrants). Also we didnt have such a big hand in the cause that we have to face such a big punishment.

This is like asking syria why they cant control their own country because there re so many migrants. They cant and thats the fact just like how britain isnt capable of taking any more people in.

Plus britain is one of the main countries that are helping with syrian bombings and refugee camps in irag and syria etc so I think its doing enough whereas other countries are doing nothing
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
Doesn't really matter: you could equally be from Kidderminster as wherever you are from. If you are going to talk about your home town to prove a point you need to indicate to us where that is so we can look into your claims. If you are from a place like Bradford, Luton, Leicester or the rural east of England where all these immigrants seem to be then OK, but you're just unlucky and shouldn't be imposing your reality on the rest of the country.

Ironically in light of the debate on how to spread these immigrants around Europe, it seems a means by which immigrants to the UK could be spread around, such as social housing, looks like the solution to local concentrations of immigrants. But I guess you are only in favour of that when it means less immigrants for you.

Its a very simple concept, it goes like this:

-Are these people valuable to the UK?

Yes: admit
No: deny
I believe we should take roughly 150,000 qualified people, Nurses and Doctors, and their families who are political asylum seekers straight from Syria or Lebanon, preventing the many thousands of deaths from crossing the atlantic. We further limit them to 3,000 per county thus preventing mass migration to one zone which could cause racial tension. Local councils are supported by the central government to help integrate each of the 3,000 political asylum seekers, who are limited for roughly 10 years to allow time for communities to be built. People may disagree, however when Jews where ejected from Germany America took all the qualified people and their families from this they developed greater weapons as well as further there economy, where as those who had refused to give asylum at first, however later gave in where having to support the less educated people.
Original post by Ace123
Angela Merkel has demanded an EU wide 'refugee' (not all are legitimate refugees) quota system & has said the UK has not done enough. In Germany Merkel has said all are welcome & will not put any limit on numbers expecting 800,000 this year

Meanwhile Yvette Cooper has said we should take at least 10,000 and Andy Burnham has said we should open UK borders to help secure EU reform

So should we open our borders to refugees or does the UK not have the infrastrure e.g. housing/NHS/schools/benefits to cope>

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3219177/Germany-turns-Britain-migrant-crisis-aide-Angela-Merkel-says-no-sympathy-one-country-viewpoints.html

Last time I heard Germany had a very novel way of reducing their population of individuals of different races and causing a migrant crisis. We should so take advice from Germany on this matter...jokers.

Get lost Merkel. The EU can take in as many as it possibly can and then many thousands more but the UK will leave. This is just the begining-the whole of Africa and the Middle East if they could would move to Europe. Telling them they are welcome will see a situation where Calais looks minor. (Oh wait, Greece are already seeing this happen. Its too late-Cameron better give our referendum quickly. Or does he want another couple of million to come in while he makes up his mind?)

Once Germany/Greece/France gives them a passport they will be free to come here. Screw that-out of the EU for me.
Reply 79
Original post by MrMackyTv
No! We already have a housing crisis where are these people going to live? How are we going go get them into work? It is going to put a strain on the NHS which is already in a bad state as it is. I don't know why Merkel says 'equal distrubution' when countries are already struggling. We need to tighten the southern borders, cut down on people smugglers and help people in the countries that they came from so they don't have to leave, or talk to their government... well if they care.

I agree that Britain shouldn't take more refugees as we've got our own issues to deal with such as the mentioned housing crisis, the strain on the NHS and that we need to reduce our net migration figures. I think David Cameron is right on refusing to take in more refugees and that it'll be better dealing with the migrant crisis by bringing peace and stability in the countries these migrants came from. I'm annoyed to hear that Yvette Cooper (Labour leadership candidate/Shadow Home Secretary) wants to keep our borders open and take in 10,000 refugees and exclude them from the net migration figures; I wonder what will be her response to questions like "Where are these people going to live?" etc. Alongside with bringing peace and stability to the countries those refugees came from, I think the Tories should focusing on tightening our borders, get Theresa May to introduce tougher laws/bring in tougher measures to tackle illegal immigrants and people smugglers and putting the words of "bringing peace and stability" into action to deal with this humanitarian crisis.

Latest

Trending

Trending