The Student Room Group

Merkel demands the UK take more 'refugees'-should we accept more?

Poll

Should the UK open our borders & let in refugees/illegal immigrants?

Angela Merkel has demanded an EU wide 'refugee' (not all are legitimate refugees) quota system & has said the UK has not done enough. In Germany Merkel has said all are welcome & will not put any limit on numbers expecting 800,000 this year

Meanwhile Yvette Cooper has said we should take at least 10,000 and Andy Burnham has said we should open UK borders to help secure EU reform

So should we open our borders to refugees or does the UK not have the infrastrure e.g. housing/NHS/schools/benefits to cope>

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3219177/Germany-turns-Britain-migrant-crisis-aide-Angela-Merkel-says-no-sympathy-one-country-viewpoints.html

Scroll to see replies

I believe we should take a few more in(a couple of thousand) but not be beholden to a quota set by that Hitler wannabe over in Deutchland. As far as I am concerned, let the Germans continue to take them. Let's see how strong Germany truly is and when she crumbles, then we can take refugees in. I'm all for skilled workers coming to the UK and I'm for a reasonable and managed number of refugees being allowed in that we can afford to take. What I don't want is economic migrants....they're vermin and leeches and are part of the reason that poor, genuine refugees are so stigmatised.
I really don't know, I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few weeks and I am still undecided.. people would much rather come to the uk where the public are already sick of immigration which will cause even more racial tension.. however these people need somewhere to go... if only everywhere in Europe would work together and despurse them evenly.. I'm sure Germans don't want their mostly untouched culture to be altered by this massive change. I don't know :'( I need a lie down
It shouldn't even be a question - we should be stopping them from even reaching European shores.
Original post by Hevachan
I really don't know, I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few weeks and I am still undecided.. people would much rather come to the uk where the public are already sick of immigration which will cause even more racial tension.. however these people need somewhere to go... if only everywhere in Europe would work together and despurse them evenly.. I'm sure Germans don't want their mostly untouched culture to be altered by this massive change. I don't know :'( I need a lie down

Untouched culture? What have you been smoking. Before this crisis, Germany was very multicultural, it had a huge number of Turks living there. With the addition of the refugees of Syria and no doubt the freeloaders coming over from Central Africa, the population demographics have changes dramatically. Apparently 20% of the population is now non native.
Reply 5
Wtf Europe get a grip and stand up for yourself. This tolerance and helping everyone who doesn't belong there at the price of hurting the native population nonsense has to stop.

Europe should close it's borders. It's not their responsability to take care of all the strays in the world. Not to say how 'well behaved' those 'refugees' proved to be...
(edited 8 years ago)
These are not refugees. The vast majority are economic migrants.

And no, we shouldn't.

It's the simple fact that their ideology does not fit liberal, western democracies and will inevitably lead to huge problems in Europe.
Nope, these are economic migrants who are offered safe haven by underpopulated safe countries such as Turkey but refuse because they want the benefits and healthcare from Britain.
They are not refugees

they want citizenship of the countries they are trying to get to

But hopefully this will break up the EU
In my opinion, we should close our borders like Australia has done. As said before, many of them are not refugees but have come here as economic migrants.
Wouldnt mind having our fair share of genuine refugees but some of them seem like economic migrants and thus i personally would be wary taking people in at this time.

Nothing is wrong with economic migrants as long as its done in the legal way.
Certainly not. We must prevent the hoard from destroying our ethnic profile.
Big Dave going on about how the UK has been so generous and let in 500 Syrian refugees...
Isn't England the most densely populated country in Europe? Let the other countries take them in for a while, even things out. It's just stupid to keep packing people into somewhere already packed - you wouldn't do this at a sport venue, so why do it on a national scale. It'll decrease the quality of life for everyone, those already here and those coming in. No wonder there's so much resentment building up, especially when a less densely populated country demand us to pack more in.
It is a political move by Germany, they can't know we can't take anymore migrants. So Merkel is trying to look hard for domestic politics, while weakening Camerons positions within the EU.
I thought being part of the EU meant the EU gives commands yet all I hear on a daily basis is Germany dictating to everyone. I look forward to the day when war is declared on Germany for a third and final time so we can reduce that pit of a nation to its knees and leave it there.
Yes - we've had a fraction of the refugees entering Europe
no. just no.

Spoiler

Reply 18
Why does even Germany have to accept nearly a million refugee's in one year?

Merkel is more sick than Hitler ever was. Why are European people not allowed to preserve their people and culture?
And over here we have the disabled / elderly / students bearing the cost of this travesty.

Latest

Trending

Trending