The Student Room Group

What A-levels should I take to enable me to get investment banking

Hi Guys,
I'm a year 12 retake and I chose to study Economics, Business Studies and Photography. I potentially want to get into an investment banking career in the future. Would it be possible with the a levels I'm taking right now? Also what degree would I have to study at uni? Thanks, your comments are appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

From what I know, the degree doesn't matter too much as long as its from a top uni. (I've heard of people studying History and PPE from Oxbride getting into FO IB) The top target Universities for Investment Banks are Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, LSE and UCL. Thats not to say that if you dont attend one of these Universities you don't have chance, it's just that the chance is much greater at one of these Universities. To get into these Universities you need at least 3 'non-soft' A levels. Business and Photography are classed as soft subjects. I would recommend doing Maths at least. There's no set route to Investment Banking, so just aim to do a degree that you'll enjoy and that you're good at so you can get into a top uni.
Reply 2
You really, really need maths A level, and a degree from a good university.
Reply 3
Original post by AnonymousAspirant
From what I know, the degree doesn't matter too much as long as its from a top uni. (I've heard of people studying History and PPE from Oxbride getting into FO IB) The top target Universities for Investment Banks are Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, LSE and UCL. Thats not to say that if you dont attend one of these Universities you don't have chance, it's just that the chance is much greater at one of these Universities. To get into these Universities you need at least 3 'non-soft' A levels. Business and Photography are classed as soft subjects. I would recommend doing Maths at least. There's no set route to Investment Banking, so just aim to do a degree that you'll enjoy and that you're good at so you can get into a top uni.

Would you recommend that I drop photography? And pick up a core subject as such as Biology and alongside Business and Economics also do AS maths?
Yes, also drop Business, most unis don't like it when applicants have both Business and Economics.
Don't listen to the above, most have probably never set foot in a bank.

No-one would care that somebody studied Maths instead of Business at a level as a fundamental reason for selecting one candidate over another, especially if the business guy did better in numerical tests. The maths in banking isn't as complex as people make it seem, most is just GCSE level and even the more advanced stuff is just done via excel.

A level subjects don't matter whatsoever, it matters that you perform well and achieve outstanding grades (A*s/As). You want to try and attend a solid university (target if possible) and study a respectable degree. Your degree relevance matters less the better the university you go.

Aslong as you achieve the minimum 320-340 UCAS points, you're just ticking a box as far as education is concerned, there are tests banks do online which will assess your competence. Other things such as extra-curriculars, achievements, uni are more relevant to your chances.

That being said, you want a levels that will land you into good unis, I would email unis to confirm, or checke course criteria for what you wish you study.

Good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Yes, also drop Business, most unis don't like it when applicants have both Business and Economics.

What subject do you recommend I drop business for?
Reply 7
From what I have heard from both my Dad (who works in the FX trading section of an investment bank) and his colleagues, maths is basically a given for the vast majority of jobs at an investment banks, unless you want to do sales, HR or other less technical things.

It's also hard to get into a top tier university when two of your A-levels are soft subjects.
Original post by Laurie_H
From what I have heard from both my Dad (who works in the FX trading section of an investment bank) and his colleagues, maths is basically a given for the vast majority of jobs at an investment banks, unless you want to do sales, HR or other less technical things.

It's also hard to get into a top tier university when two of your A-levels are soft subjects.

I really do not think maths will be a requirement. GCSE maths will be sufficient. You probably need a few maths people but they will probably just be crunching numbers. You do not need maths to know the markets etc.

Although, I would drop photography and business studies. Do something like biology, economics or a language. A language would be very good.
Original post by dh5uvv4ra
What subject do you recommend I drop business for?

Don't pick a subject for the sake of getting into University. Pick a subject you enjoy, if you want to apply for the top unis, pick a facilitating subject that you will enjoy.
Reply 10
Original post by gr8wizard10
Don't listen to the above, most have probably never set foot in a bank.

No-one would care that somebody studied Maths instead of Business at a level as a fundamental reason for selecting one candidate over another, especially if the business guy did better in numerical tests. The maths in banking isn't as complex as people make it seem, most is just GCSE level and even the more advanced stuff is just done via excel.

A level subjects don't matter whatsoever, it matters that you perform well and achieve outstanding grades (A*s/As). You want to try and attend a solid university (target if possible) and study a respectable degree. Your degree relevance matters less the better the university you go.

Aslong as you achieve the minimum 320-340 UCAS points, you're just ticking a box as far as education is concerned, there are tests banks do online which will assess your competence. Other things such as extra-curriculars, achievements, uni are more relevant to your chances.

That being said, you want a levels that will land you into good unis, I would email unis to confirm, or checke course criteria for what you wish you study.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your help and guidance, I will definitely go ahead and email universities to check course criterias/requirements.
Original post by Laurie_H

For someone who's interned in FX Trading, there's not much maths involved. Or atleast not to the extent you need an A level in maths. People who study maths just are attracted to trading it would seem.

Regardless OP seems to have specified an interest in Investment Banking not trading, where dividing some numbers is probably the most difficult piece of Maths I've had to use in IBD.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Don't pick a subject for the sake of getting into University. Pick a subject you enjoy, if you want to apply for the top unis, pick a facilitating subject that you will enjoy.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from! I'm trying to avoid just picking the subject for the sake of it. But at the moment I feel slightly blinded with what subjects to take to lead me to the investment banking pathway.
For someone who's interned in FX Trading, there's not much maths involved. Or atleast not to the extent you need an A level in maths. People who study maths just are attracted to trading it would seem.

Regardless OP seems to have specified an interest in Investment Banking not trading, where dividing some numbers is probably the most difficult piece of Maths I've had to use in IBD.

That's interesting to know. It seems strange though, because when I did work experience on an FX floor, everyone's advice was 'do double maths'. What A levels did you do?
Maths A level is a must if you want to do investment banking, also economics.
Original post by arch0wnz
Maths A level is a must if you want to do investment banking, also economics.

Economics - yes.
Investment banking - no.
Reply 16
What would be recommended to study at university to get into investment banking ECONOMICS, or INVESTMENT BANKING. It may seem a stupid question but I've realised that a BSc in investment banking isn't offered in the top universities so I was wondering what does investment banking offer that economics doesn't, vice versa. In addition which degree would give the better edge of getting into investment banking?
Original post by dh5uvv4ra
What would be recommended to study at university to get into investment banking ECONOMICS, or INVESTMENT BANKING. It may seem a stupid question but I've realised that a BSc in investment banking isn't offered in the top universities so I was wondering what does investment banking offer that economics doesn't, vice versa. In addition which degree would give the better edge of getting into investment banking?
none from a target and something quantitative from a non-target
Reply 18

Depends on what kind of FX trading. FX spot is probably the least quantitative trading desk, FX options on the other hand...
Original post by Noble.
Depends on what kind of FX trading. FX spot is probably the least quantitative trading desk, FX options on the other hand...

FX Forwards

Although given OP is interested in Banking, maths A level isn't a must, contrary to what people seem to believe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending