The Student Room Group

Do you categorise potatoes as vegetables or carbohydrates in this context?

Poll

Vegetable, or carbohydrate contextually?

Let's say in this context, you were merely saying how many vegetables on your dinner plate, there being a slab of meat, potatoes, sweet corn, and peas (made up meal)? Do you naturally categorise them as vegetables, or carbohydrates, in this context, and include them in your number?

I won't say my view, to avoid influencing others.

(If neither, or not as black and white, feel free to say.)

Kinda weird question, but I had a big debate over this.

(Oops, I've just realised I've spammed "in this context" quite a few times.)
A potato is a vegetable or, more specifically, a tuber because of the role the organ plays for the potato plant, that has a relatively high starch content and relatively low micronutrient value compared with other vegetables.

Neurotic nutritional obsessives tends to classify it as a carbohydrate, although I merely classify it as something that goes very well with melted cheese.
No matter how you categorise them they will always be a carb. Same goes for all veg.
Original post by Vixen47
No matter how you categorise them they will always be a carb. Same goes for all veg.

I would personally say it's "a vegetable, which is also a carbohydrate/high in carbohydrates", or something along those lines.

But potatoes are vegetables, same as carrots etc. etc., just proportionately speaking, high in carbs. I didn't think you categorise a veggy over it's nutritional content, as opposed to specific properties.

And I don't think people generally do it (categorise) by the food group, unless the situation specifically calls for it.

But I don't mind agreeing to disagree,. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quantex
A potato is a vegetable or, more specifically, a tuber because of the role the organ plays for the potato plant, that has a relatively high starch content and relatively low micronutrient value compared with other vegetables.

Neurotic nutritional obsessives tends to classify it as a carbohydrate, although I merely classify it as something that goes very well with melted cheese.

No! Not cheese! Cheese mixed with hot Heinz beans* (Beans given priority.)

Lol at second part.

(Fanx for extra info.)

(I've kinda worked entirely backwards.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a vegetable AND a carbohydrate.
Original post by XcitingStuart
I would personally say it's "a vegetable, which is also a carbohydrate/high in carbohydrates", or something along those lines.

But potatoes are vegetables, same as carrots etc. etc., just proportionately speaking, high in carbs. I didn't think you categorise a veggy over it's nutritional content, as opposed to specific properties.

And I don't think people generally do it (categorise) by the food group, unless the situation specifically calls for it.

But I don't mind agreeing to disagree,. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't get a word you said. You seem to be agreeing and disagreeing with yourself. :wtf:
Reply 7
Most veggies are carbs. So I wouldn't make the distinction, except that I wouldn't eat potatoes AND rice or pasta, but I'd happily eat 2-3 veg with rice or pasta and meat. Maybe that means I'm in the potato is a carb team? But I wouldn't separate my plate into veggies, carbs, meat. I'd do meat/carbs.

Quick Reply

Latest