The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Any Software/Programs that might be useful?

Hi, sorry if there is already a thread with this information; I can't find it!

I'm just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some good programs that would help with note-taking/revision etc? I want to start building them up now so I can see how they work and put them to use in October.

I've seen a few mentioned but lost all my links to them so if you've got any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it!
Honestly, manually writing out all your notes would probably be the best way.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by bailfire
Honestly, manually writing out all your notes would probably be the best way.

I plan to do this, mostly. But I'd like to review them and transfer the key parts on my laptop as I'll be taking it to work with me. I'll also be taking notes from videos on my laptop as I find it much quicker and it seems to sink in better.
Original post by AlisonJayne
I plan to do this, mostly. But I'd like to review them and transfer the key parts on my laptop as I'll be taking it to work with me. I'll also be taking notes from videos on my laptop as I find it much quicker and it seems to sink in better.

I wouldn't know much about any software, my goto would be MS Word though.
I've heard good things about One Note
Reply 5
It's a good idea to get used to using whatever flavour of Office you prefer (Microsoft, Libreoffice, Google Docs, etc.) as pretty much any course will require written submissions and it's much easier to make and send them through the computer rather than by hand and through the post. On that note, also make sure that you're familiar with sending emails and attaching files to them as this is how you will send things to be marked.

Beyond that it depends on your course. If you're taking Mathematics then using something like Libreoffice or Microsoft Mathematics could be helpful; if you're taking Computing then learning to use Scratch (very similar to SENSE) and/or common IDEs like Visual Studio would be helpful. In economics and business you will most likely get a lot of use out of spreadsheets, so practice those.

Note taking software might also be a good idea, as mentioned above. OneNote, Evernote, etc. all perform this function well. Even Notepad works well enough on a desktop although it lacks the ability to sync with other devices.

Good luck with your studies.
Reply 6
Thanks for that advice! I'll be studying Psychology so I'll mostly need MS Word and maybe MS Excel because I can use that for easy reference too. Excel might also come in handy for the some the statistical stuff I'll be learning (which I dread!).
I'm an Admin Assistant so I use these every day anyway.

I think it may be OneNote and Evernote that I was looking for so I will give them a try. I was just wanting something more interactive than basic word so that sounds ideal.

Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest