The Student Room Group

Girl pressures boy into committing suicide. Defence proclaims: 'he brainwashed her.'

This is beyond belief. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/31/its-now-or-never-texts-reveal-teens-efforts-to-pressure-boyfriend-into-suicide/

The two were in a relationship, he had a very long history of depression and had previously attempted suicide (no surprise there, men are 3.5x more likely to kill themselves).

She sent thousands of texts to him, pressuring him into committing suicide. When he was pulling out of it, she kept pressuring him back into it, proclaiming 'he would be better off dead.' Now her defence attorney is stipulating he 'brainwashed' her.

By 2014, she was tired of him:

“You always say you’re gonna do it, but you never do,” Carter complained. “I just want to make sure tonight is the real thing.”

Another time, she texted: “You can’t keep pushing it off, though. That’s all you keep doing.”

She was insistent, even when Roy steered the topic to other things:

ROY: How was your day?

CARTER: When are you doing it?

Roy said he was having a good day, but Carter wasn’t satisfied.

CARTER: Really?

ROY: Yes.

CARTER: That’s great. What did you do?

ROY: Ended up going to work for a little bit and then just looked stuff up.

CARTER: When are you gonna do it? Stop ignoring the question???

And if Roy couldn’t find a way to use carbon monoxide, Carter suggested alternatives: “I’d try the bag or hanging,” she told him. “Hanging is painless and take like a second if you do it right.”

The day of Roy’s death July 12, 2014 he and Carter exchanged texts in the early morning hours.

“You can’t think about it. You just have to do it,” Carter said, telling him she didn’t understand why he was hesitating.

“I’m gonna eventually,” he replied. “I really don’t know what I’m waiting for but I have everything lined up.”

“Like, honestly I could have stopped it,” Carter texted Samantha months later. “I was on the phone with him and he got out of the car” because the carbon monoxide was working, she said. She added that she “told him to get back in.”

Wait for it, this is best part. What is she doing now? She's an advocate for mental health: “Even though I could not save my boyfriend’s life, I want to put myself out here to try to save as many other lives as possible,” she wrote on Facebook.

Scroll to see replies

In my eyes, she murdered him.
Wow some people are messed up, just chuck her into a cell
This is the definition of evil. I hope she suffers in prison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheCitizenAct

Wait for it, this is best part. What is she doing now? She's an advocate for mental health: “Even though I could not save my boyfriend’s life, I want to put myself out here to try to save as many other lives as possible,” she wrote on Facebook.

Who the hell authorised this?! Surely anyone trying to look out for the mental health of other people would be smart enough to keep her as far away from vulnerable people as possible.
WTF
vomited
She is the definition of a socio-path and a sadist. Sick in the head is all she is. Lock her up and throw the key away
Original post by Sicaspeak
Who the hell authorised this?! Surely anyone trying to look out for the mental health of other people would be smart enough to keep her as far away from vulnerable people as possible.

She wrote it herself on FB. I don't think it was authorised by anyone apart from herself.

The saddening thing is, people will take her seriously either because they believe that she is genuinely distraught or they don't know what's happened with her text messages. For example, if a friend put on facebook that they're willing to listen to anyone who needs to talk, you're not likely to search their name in case they're actually a sadistic cow who pressures people into killing themselves. You're likely to view it as a nice gesture.
Oh wow :/
I've been following this and what it looks like to me is that she was desperate for attention. After the guy killed himself she wrote on the internet about how sad she was etc, she doesn't seem to give a damn about him only herself.

Saying that, I'm not even sure she'll be found guilty of anything. Free speech is very important here.
Original post by Sabertooth
I've been following this and what it looks like to me is that she was desperate for attention. After the guy killed himself she wrote on the internet about how sad she was etc, she doesn't seem to give a damn about him only herself.

Saying that, I'm not even sure she'll be found guilty of anything. Free speech is very important here.

As much as I loathe her character and what she has done, I very reluctantly agree with you. She should, must, be free to say whatever she likes.

Then again, can we attribute it to the crowded theatre argument? Just because we have free speech, does it entitle us to shout 'bomb' in the middle of a crowded theatre? Does it entitle us to incite hatred, or compel others to perform hateful acts?

I would say her actions fall into the latter camp but, as someone who is fiercely protective of individual liberty, I find it hard to align my principles to her actions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sickening
Original post by TheCitizenAct
As much as I loathe her character and what she has done, I very reluctantly agree with you. She should, must, be free to say whatever she likes.

Then again, can we attribute it to the crowded theatre argument? Just because we have free speech, does it entitle us to shout 'bomb' in the middle of a crowded theatre? Does it entitle us to incite hate speech, or compel others to perform hateful acts?

I would say her actions fall into the latter camp but, as someone who is fiercely in favour of individual liberty, I find it hard to align my principles to her actions.

I agree; it's very difficult to draw an appropriate line with free speech. I think this whole trial will come down to free speech or not.

I am also an advocate of individual liberty, but as someone who has suffered with depression and gotten close to the edge many times I find her actions absolutely abhorrent. I just cannot imagine what was going through her head to do that to someone.
What kind of sick joke is that? I felt sick after reading that
she encouraged this and therefore shes an asset to murder...
They claim she did it to evoke sympathy from those around her. You know, the poor girl who lost her boyfriend to suicide.

It reminds me of Beverley Allit somehow, don't they claim she killed those babies for attention?
Original post by Sicaspeak

Clearly this was before she was under trial for this. A lot of people who've experienced loved ones commit suicide or have loved ones with mental illness go on to do advocacy work...
Reply 18
Encouraging suicide is a crime, is it not?

If my girlfriend tried to kill herself and I encouraged her, I would be liable, although there appears to be no relevant case law on the UK.
What a disgrace

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending