The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think it may be that Japan and South Korea are even more densely populated than the more densely populated countries here in Europe, like Holland, Belgium and the UK. That, and there's no Asian Union to put political pressure on member states like the European Union does here.
Because Australia, South Korea, Japan and the rest of them have realised that it doesn't make sense for them to do so and they perhaps care more about their own. Also, apart from the Burma issue, there isn't a major refugee crisis going on in Asia compared to Europe where we are taking the full brunt of the refugees fleeing from the Middle East as well as having to deal with the usual lot running out of Africa
Reply 3
Original post by Bloodaxe
I think it may be that Japan and South Korea are even more densely populated than the more densely populated countries here in Europe, like Holland, Belgium and the UK. That, and there's no Asian Union to put political pressure on member states like the European Union does here.

Holland is more densely populated than Japan. But as a share of their population they have a tiny amount of any type of immigrant.
Reply 4
Original post by marco14196
Because Australia, South Korea, Japan and the rest of them have realised that it doesn't make sense for them to do so and they perhaps care more about their own. Also, apart from the Burma issue, there isn't a major refugee crisis going on in Asia compared to Europe where we are taking the full brunt of the refugees fleeing from the Middle East as well as having to deal with the usual lot running out of Africa

If you read the article you see they get asylum application from people from all over the world including Africa and the Middle East. Japan still only approves a tiny amount.
I suppose because historically countries such as Japan and South Korea have been rather isolated, devoid of expansionist and colonial ambition. On the other hand, Europe has pursued colonialism, interfered in the East and directly caused the disruption and chaos which is leading people to flee on mass scale. Therefore, there is a feeling of responsibility. In addition, a policy of multi-culturism has been imposed on Europe making it quite diverse and It is quite apparent that countries such as Japan and South Korea, who have such strong cultures are not eager to become multicultural.
Reply 7
Original post by Buchladen
I suppose because historically countries such as Japan and South Korea have been rather isolated, devoid of expansionist and colonial ambition. On the other hand, Europe has pursued colonialism, interfered in the East and directly caused the disruption and chaos which is leading people to flee on mass scale. Therefore, there is a feeling of responsibility. In addition, a policy of multi-culturism has been imposed on Europe making it quite diverse and It is quite apparent that countries such as Japan and South Korea, who have such strong cultures are not eager to become multicultural.

Erm ever hear of the Japanese Empire?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Japan

There are plenty of European countries that have not colonised other countries and yet they take on refugees.

Did/Does Europe not have a strong culture?
Original post by alexh42
Erm ever hear of the Japanese Empire?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Japan

There are plenty of European countries that have not colonised other countries and yet they take on refugees.

Did/Does Europe not have a strong culture?

Yes I have, I wasn't thinking too hard as I wrote. What I mean is that even though Japan did have an empire it was geographically very different to European colonialism which spanned all the way to the other end of the world and was of a much larger scale, while, Japan had assets of Korea/Taiwan while demanding greater access to China . Therefore, I suppose it could be argued that Europe has a greater responsibility. I commend these European countries for taking refugees, nevertheless I still believe that the concept of multiculturism which has been heavily accepted within Europe has eased the process of aiding those fleeing from war in the East.

Latest