The Student Room Group

Hello, I need some info about applying for university and if I will have a chance?

I am studying BTEC level 3 Sport extended dimploma and this month I will be starting my second year. Unfortunately I have not passed English and maths in school because I took time off as I got bullied really bad but I amazing maths and English as part of my course and if I pass the functional skills I think I will go on to resit the GCSEs? Not sure how that works

Anyway I am enjoying my course a lot but I am not sure if I want to get a career in it? Not even sure what my options would be , pe teacher gym instructor?
Hmm I really want to do a course in mental health nursing, would I be able to do this course with my ucas points from my sport btec even though I have no A levels?
And even though sport has not much to do with mental health although there is a unit included that teaches physiology in sport.

In my first year this were my results I got a grade pass and I got 4 passes one distinction and two merits. I could have done a lot better but my mom died in the middle of the year and I took a lot of time off and missed out on distinctions :frown:
So my question is will ie be able to do mental health nursing with the course I'm doing now and even if I did bad in my first year if I really try and get distinctions in my second year will I have enough ucas points or whatever. Ugh I'm so confused , someone help lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by brunegtebabe111
I am studying BTEC level 3 Sport extended dimploma and this month I will be starting my second year. Unfortunately I have not passed English and maths in school because I took time off as I got bullied really bad but I amazing maths and English as part of my course and if I pass the functional skills I think I will go on to resit the GCSEs? Not sure how that works

Anyway I am enjoying my course a lot but I am not sure if I want to get a career in it? Not even sure what my options would be , pe teacher gym instructor?
Hmm I really want to do a course in mental health nursing, would I be able to do this course with my ucas points from my sport btec even though I have no A levels?
And even though sport has not much to do with mental health although there is a unit included that teaches physiology in sport.

In my first year this were my results I got a grade pass and I got 4 passes one distinction and two merits. I could have done a lot better but my mom died in the middle of the year and I took a lot of time off and missed out on distinctions :frown:
So my question is will ie be able to do mental health nursing with the course I'm doing now and even if I did bad in my first year if I really try and get distinctions in my second year will I have enough ucas points or whatever. Ugh I'm so confused , someone help lol

For mental health nursing you can get onto the course with a btec, roughly they'll ask for DMM and above, there's also foundation years at a couple of unis that would accept much lower so certainly something to look into as maybe your 5th choice :smile: .
Generally, they'd ask for medical science/health and social care/health studies for it but since sport will have science aspects to it universities might consider it, i'd email all the ones you're considering and see what they say. I'm afraid that less and less universities for nursing will accept functional skills so you'd be better off sitting your maths and english this year, you can apply without already having the C's this year and they'd give you it as a condition to get onto the course i'd think.
I'm really sorry to hear about your mum, you've done incredibly well with your grades considering you've missed a lot of time at college :console: (I m starting mental health myself on monday, after doing pretty sucky in my a levels so did another course and got there in the end so if nursing it what you really want to do you will get there, you're welcome to send me a message if I can be more helpful in nursing related stuff :smile: )
Original post by claireestelle
For mental health nursing you can get onto the course with a btec, roughly they'll ask for DMM and above, there's also foundation years at a couple of unis that would accept much lower so certainly something to look into as maybe your 5th choice :smile: .
Generally, they'd ask for medical science/health and social care/health studies for it but since sport will have science aspects to it universities might consider it, i'd email all the ones you're considering and see what they say. I'm afraid that less and less universities for nursing will accept functional skills so you'd be better off sitting your maths and english this year, you can apply without already having the C's this year and they'd give you it as a condition to get onto the course i'd think.
I'm really sorry to hear about your mum, you've done incredibly well with your grades considering you've missed a lot of time at college :console: (I m starting mental health myself on monday, after doing pretty sucky in my a levels so did another course and got there in the end so if nursing it what you really want to do you will get there, you're welcome to send me a message if I can be more helpful in nursing related stuff :smile: )

Hey congrats on starting mental health on Monday I really hope to do it one day aswell because it something I would really want to do as I have suffered from mental health problems most of my life and I'd really like to help people that have felt like me. wish I picked health and social care btec now as it will give me more chance for unis to consider me but I have to finish my sport btec off now hmm :/ my teacher also said that I could do my sport phsycology unit from last year this year as I didn't get to do it so I will try to get a D in that :/ I just hope I will. Be able to do this course and get a career because right now my life is pretty crap thanks for giving me hope :biggrin:
Original post by brunegtebabe111
Hey congrats on starting mental health on Monday I really hope to do it one day aswell because it something I would really want to do as I have suffered from mental health problems most of my life and I'd really like to help people that have felt like me. wish I picked health and social care btec now as it will give me more chance for unis to consider me but I have to finish my sport btec off now hmm :/ my teacher also said that I could do my sport phsycology unit from last year this year as I didn't get to do it so I will try to get a D in that :/ I just hope I will. Be able to do this course and get a career because right now my life is pretty crap thanks for giving me hope :biggrin:

Glad to be able to help, I d say your best bet is to email some of the universities you're interested in and give them a list of your btec sports units and see what they say:smile: There's definitely a few universities that would consider sports science and some that don't specifically ask for certain subjects that you could look at. Central Lancs and Keele do foundation years for nursing so worst case scenario you could definitely look at applying for there:smile:
Have you got any work experience that you could mention in your personal statement?:smile:
(If there's any way I can be of more help then let me know, I know it's no really of any comfort but life does get better).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending