The Student Room Group

A-levels to take

Hi I'm deciding on my A-levels (AS) and I'm about to start the introduction section in sixth form. I've chosen to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Religious studies. I have been looking into doing medicine in order to be a psychiatrist or if not something to do with science i.e lab work or perhaps something to do with how the mind works and how people react i.e psychology. Basically I was just wondering if doing physics instead of Re is a good choice please? I do really enjoy Re and had A* at GCSE (1 mark away from full overall) so thought as I enjoyed Re and had good grade would be a good subject to take. I had an A for physics but my main interest in the subject is to do with space like looking at the stars and planets but other than that don't have too much of an interest.
Is it worth changing for physics and will it be too hard going doing all science and maths?
Thannkyou
Your options are fine as they are. All medicine requires is A2 Chemistry + Another Science subject at A2 (Biology, Physics or Maths) And you definitely have that and more. Religious Studies will also show university that you are a well rounded student and you have other interests other than medicine such as philosophy and peoples beliefs, shown by your A-Level in Religious Studies. Furthermore it shows that you enjoy reading, can write extended essays and understand how people feel about different situations and what they believe in, which is vital to know for medicine and psychiatry.
Reply 2
Original post by LuiEmmitt
Your options are fine as they are. All medicine requires is A2 Chemistry + Another Science subject at A2 (Biology, Physics or Maths) And you definitely have that and more. Religious Studies will also show university that you are a well rounded student and you have other interests other than medicine such as philosophy and peoples beliefs, shown by your A-Level in Religious Studies. Furthermore it shows that you enjoy reading, can write extended essays and understand how people feel about different situations and what they believe in, which is vital to know for medicine and psychiatry.

Thank you so much!! I wasn't sure if they would see it like that but thank you for explaining that to me. Thank you again this has really helped!
Original post by Ast123
Thank you so much!! I wasn't sure if they would see it like that but thank you for explaining that to me. Thank you again this has really helped!

No problem and good luck with your A Levels. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest