The Student Room Group

Will i cope with degree Physics?

Hi,

Ive just started A2 and study all 3 sciences. I wish to do a physics degree as i find physics the most interesting - but i dont do a level maths! There is the option however for me to do a foundation year. This is for people like me who have the wrong subject combinations to progress straight onto the degree.

My question is, will i cope with the maths? Is there anyone who has done a foundation year with no a level maths experience? If so, how did you get on? Did you struggle with the maths and did it fully prepare you for degree physics? Im just worried as i hear everyone saying degree level physics is purely maths, so i was wondering will i be able to even hack the maths in the foundation year with no a level maths?

Original post by Brandonyesh
Hi,

Ive just started A2 and study all 3 sciences. I wish to do a physics degree as i find physics the most interesting - but i dont do a level maths! There is the option however for me to do a foundation year. This is for people like me who have the wrong subject combinations to progress straight onto the degree.

My question is, will i cope with the maths? Is there anyone who has done a foundation year with no a level maths experience? If so, how did you get on? Did you struggle with the maths and did it fully prepare you for degree physics? Im just worried as i hear everyone saying degree level physics is purely maths, so i was wondering will i be able to even hack the maths in the foundation year with no a level maths?

A friend of mine is starting his foundation year for Physics this September and he has no previous knowledge of mathematics and physics as he did A levels humanities. I have looked at his course description and it is designed is such a way that you will learn the pure mathematics and some applied ( C1, C2, C3, C4) in one year. Surely foundation course is intense but you will have lectures over 40 hours a week. Also, the lessons are held by lecturers from the same university and so they are highly experienced. If you put your head down you are fine!
A foundation year won't expect you to know any A Level maths but you have to ask yourself why you didn't choose maths at A Level. How did you cope with GCSE? Physics at degree level is nothing like A Level. It's applying maths and computing programming to (often abstract) physical concepts.
Original post by Brandonyesh
Hi,

My friend did a foundation without maths and found it hard. I did one with a foundation and found it really easy. Its doable, you just need to devote a lot of time to it as a foundation year will cover elements of further mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending