The Student Room Group
Yeah it's possible, it's only 4 modules if he's already done 3+6.

Need to start revising early and work at it though.
Alot of the modules are pretty interlinked in their content knowledge fortunately. Especially CPT6 which, rather expectedly draws from essential aspects of CPT4 and CPT5 in their technical solution and design segments. He needs to find a bucket load of past papers and mark schemes and, well, marry them for the next couple of months. :smile:
Reply 3
yes, definitely possible - all A levels used to be done with everything examined at the end of it.

Agree with Michael's advice 100%. Get those basic definitions, concepts and techniques (e.g. binary to base ten) really nailed as well, particularly in 1 & 2 there's a decent wodge of marks for questions that just involve those
what is cpt5 exam like...anyone seen pastpapers?
Reply 5
I agree with all above ppl, the number conversions are overused in CPT4, cpt4 was pretty much an entirely practical paper in Jan imo. Very few actual definitions and such.

I havent even started cpt5 in class yet so cant help you there!
f.amir
what is cpt5 exam like...anyone seen pastpapers?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/comp_assess.php
Reply 7
f.amir - there's been a fairly dramatic increase in the networking content over the past few years so papers that are from even 2004 may give a slight false impression. If you've got the Pat Heathcote book then check it's edition 5 and not edition 4 as this has huge holes in it. Edition 5 is co-written with Sylvia someone (I think)

Did you manage to get the past papers?
iainmacn
f.amir - there's been a fairly dramatic increase in the networking content over the past few years so papers that are from even 2004 may give a slight false impression. If you've got the Pat Heathcote book then check it's edition 5 and not edition 4 as this has huge holes in it. Edition 5 is co-written with Sylvia someone (I think)

Did you manage to get the past papers?

yeh...we all use 5th edition....btw..he took cpt2 in jan and has managed to get a high C..he got his results today....so now he has only got units 1, 4 and 5.....hes finding 4 quite hard though....any tips?.....i think he got pastpapers from the site.
Reply 9
4 is notorious for causing trouble to people as it's got loads of abstract programming stuff in it. Some people (a lot) seem to find this bit tricky.

As far as tips go, there's not really any one thing that will help - I guess over the years I've found various different ways to teach it that seem to work for people, but I can't really sum them up in a post. We also use a number of VB programs we wrote to animate things like binary trees and sorts.

If I had to give one tip it'd probably be practise like nuts at doign trace tables, particularly for the common data structures (linked lists etc), recursion, and sorts. I have questions going back nearly 20 years on these and have made quite a few up.
f.amir
my mate wants to know whether its possible to do all 6 units CPT1-6 in summer and get a decent grade....hes already done CPT 6 and 3...so now hes got cp1 and 2 on 22nd may and cpt4 and 5 on 19th june....do you think this is too much?....or is it possible....and when should he start revising?

thats funny, when people say ''my mate'', it always means theyre talkin abt themselves :wink: :p: :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending