The Student Room Group

BEng/MEng Mechanical Engineering

Hi there, about to start studying mechanical engineering at university in the next few weeks. Was wondering if anyone has any online material or recommends any books to acquire before starting? Thank you for any help
I wouldn't bother getting any books, I bought a bunch in 1st year and never ended up touching any of them, your library should have copies and if not you can always find them online :wink: If you did feel shaky on any subjects you did like math or physics tho, you might wanna just go through the basics again so you're not completely caught with your pants down once you start, I was crap at physics in high school so mechanics was a pain for me :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by alexschmalex
I wouldn't bother getting any books, I bought a bunch in 1st year and never ended up touching any of them, your library should have copies and if not you can always find them online :wink: If you did feel shaky on any subjects you did like math or physics tho, you might wanna just go through the basics again so you're not completely caught with your pants down once you start, I was crap at physics in high school so mechanics was a pain for me :tongue:

I think mechanics was a pain to everyone haha...i found it difficult too but my understanding got much better when i got the book :tongue:

I'm considering getting a book for materials/solid mechanics for year two :sigh:
Original post by a10
I think mechanics was a pain to everyone haha...i found it difficult too but my understanding got much better when i got the book :tongue:

I'm considering getting a book for materials/solid mechanics for year two :sigh:

Fair enough, I guess it depends on your lecturers :tongue: Mine would always reference the books in the notes but when I checked the books all the notation was different and it was done in the context of stuff they did in the books but not in class so it usually confused me even more 😭 If your lectures are close enough to the books then definitely get one! In my year apparently 60% of us failed solid mechanics (yours truly included :colondollar:) Might be easy for me to say with hindsight but it's pretty simple mathematically, just need to get your head around the concepts and you'll be fine :thumbsup:
Reply 4
Fair enough, I guess it depends on your lecturers :tongue: Mine would always reference the books in the notes but when I checked the books all the notation was different and it was done in the context of stuff they did in the books but not in class so it usually confused me even more 😭 If your lectures are close enough to the books then definitely get one! In my year apparently 60% of us failed solid mechanics (yours truly included :colondollar:) Might be easy for me to say with hindsight but it's pretty simple mathematically, just need to get your head around the concepts and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

I take it you're starting third year then :biggrin: ?

Ahh mine never really referenced the book (altho the lecture notes where somewhat similar to the actual book content but much more simplified) they did however have a recommend book list at the start of the module so if you needed deeper explanations for things you knew where to find it :colondollar:

How did you find control systems and your management module?!
Original post by a10
I take it you're starting third year then :biggrin: ?

Ahh mine never really referenced the book (altho the lecture notes where somewhat similar to the actual book content but much more simplified) they did however have a recommend book list at the start of the module so if you needed deeper explanations for things you knew where to find it :colondollar:

How did you find control systems and your management module?!

Yep, hopefully a masters afterwards too :biggrin: Tbh I used notes, tutorials and YouTube to figure out a lot of it, the only books I ever really found somewhat helpful was the one for fluid mechanics but even that kinda required a ton of back reading to get it x.x As long as you're prepared for the exams I guess the method is less vital :tongue:

We haven't had that module yet, think it's happening this year! Still have yet to actually pick my modules tho! I hope you're asking me because you found it really easy :K:
Reply 6
Yep, hopefully a masters afterwards too :biggrin: Tbh I used notes, tutorials and YouTube to figure out a lot of it, the only books I ever really found somewhat helpful was the one for fluid mechanics but even that kinda required a ton of back reading to get it x.x As long as you're prepared for the exams I guess the method is less vital :tongue:

We haven't had that module yet, think it's happening this year! Still have yet to actually pick my modules tho! I hope you're asking me because you found it really easy :K:

Haha I have both of those this year so I'm hoping they aren't too difficult :colondollar:

Will also be trying for internships this year...so far ive only seen two i can apply to the rest ive seen so far ask you to be in your penumilate year :pain: (i feel like lying and saying im on a BEng instead of MEng so i can apply to them lmao :lol: )
Original post by a10
Haha I have both of those this year so I'm hoping they aren't too difficult :colondollar:

Will also be trying for internships this year...so far ive only seen two i can apply to the rest ive seen so far ask you to be in your penumilate year :pain: (i feel like lying and saying im on a BEng instead of MEng so i can apply to them lmao :lol: )

Fluids engineering is fine, my lecturer was kinda crap tho so at first it felt like curing cancer would've been easier 😩 You should be fine though! I'm also looking for internships even though I'm on the last year of a BEng now :s-smilie: Hopefully nobody notices haha

Quick Reply

Latest