The Student Room Group

Does anybody actually enjoy being single?

I'm almost 25, and have been single for around 4 months now. In my group of friends, 2/3rds are in relationships. I had a look on facebook to see what people from school were upto etc. and pretty much 95 percent are in relationships, some engaged, married, and many long-term.
I found that there are many more people in relationships than single. I spent a short amount of time on a dating site, but deleted my account after realising I didn't really want to be in a relationship just yet.
There are one or two guys I fancy, but nobody I can say I have feelings for as such (still a little bit for my ex, but I've accepted that that's over and I know it'll take a little more time) but there is something very liberating about being single.
I think I would be perfectly happy alone. I asked a male friend of mine if anyone actually just wanted to be single, and he told me, no.
Maybe I just haven't met the right person, but these days, I really do not believe in 'the one' and everlasting love. It just seems like most relationships come to an end, and I just don't think it's worth the heartache. Is there anybody on here who is single through choice and isn't looking to settle down with someone? Just out of curiosity.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:yes: I love it
Reply 2
Original post by arfah

that's cool :smile: What is it you enjoy about it?
Do you think you'd eventually want to settle down with someone?

There is a part of me that doesn't know if i'd ever even want to get married, but I know we're 'expected' by society to eventually settle with someone, get married etc.
Yes I like being single, especially at this stage when I want to dedicate all of my spare time for education.
My issue is that no matter how hard I try, I can't help but have a negative feeling towards men. I feel like in the end all of them are after the same thing. Maybe I'm just at that age where I am mature but boys around me aren't.
I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't necessarily enjoy being single for the single factor alone, but I certainly enjoy having the time to spend on the important things in my life like my career. I certainly wouldn't be where I am now if I'd had domestic crap and distractions over the last couple of years.
Not being tied down feels great :yep:
There are lots of perks to being single, I'm loving it :smile: When the time is right, I'll consider dating but I'm happy for the moment.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

There is a part of me that doesn't know if i'd ever even want to get married, but I know we're 'expected' by society to eventually settle with someone, get married etc.

No arguments/fights
You can flirt with anyone :ahee:
But seriously single life is just good :cool:

Eventually I want to marry and have kids, but I want to do a lot before I settle down. For example completing my education and travelling to new places in the world.
You have a lot of time to get married/settle down if you ever wish to do so. 25 is still a young age for that type of thing :smile:
Reply 8
I love the feeling that go to sleep at night with a peaceful mind, not having to worry that maybe someone is cheating on me or why they haven't called me in 3 days
Reply 9
Very happy, then again I'm not even 20 years old yet. I'll see if/how my opinion changes 5 or 10 years down the line

Getting into a long term relationship (marriage, specifically) just seems like the biggest gamble you could ever take on your life, so I'm not sure why so many people do it
Thanks for the replies :smile: It's really reassuring to know that others feel the same. As i'm now 25, there is a part of me that feels a sort of pressure to meet someone sooner rather than later...
I was in a relationship from the age of 18-24, and I think that I need to enjoy this time alone.
It's alright.
Original post by kemi28
I love the feeling that go to sleep at night with a peaceful mind, not having to worry that maybe someone is cheating on me or why they haven't called me in 3 days

This is how I am. I don't really like how I am in relationships. I tend to fall in love hard, and worry about losing the person etc. but my ex left me for someone else, and it hurt like hell at first, but i'm over it now. So i'm not scared anymore of that happening again, and I hope that my next relationship would be more successful.
There is a part of me that misses intimacy with somebody, but it's only a small thing to sacrifice :smile:
Reply 13
This is how I am. I don't really like how I am in relationships. I tend to fall in love hard, and worry about losing the person etc. but my ex left me for someone else, and it hurt like hell at first, but i'm over it now. So i'm not scared anymore of that happening again, and I hope that my next relationship would be more successful.
There is a part of me that misses intimacy with somebody, but it's only a small thing to sacrifice :smile:

I think I'm the type of person to fall in love real hard too that's why I'm saving myself from all the heartache. I want to be certain that I am emotionally strong enough to deal with a heart break

But in your case, you shouldn't give up on relationships
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kemi28
I think I'm the type of person to fall in love real hard too that's why I'm saving myself from all the heartache. I want to be certain that I am emotionally strong enough to deal with a heart break

yes I agree with you there. Hopefully we will be :tongue:
Original post by arfah

What you will find is a lot of career and university-driven women will love being single because they think it makes them autonomous, empowered strong women fighting the patriarchy. They will only start to realise their desire for children after it's too late.
Original post by kemi28

But in your case, you shouldn't give up on relationships

Sorry didn't see the last edited part. Yes, you're right. I think I'm just lazy at the moment. The idea of having to make plans with someone, text them often, make an effort with myself etc. it just doesn't appeal to me at the moment haha. Maybe in the future :tongue:
4 months? Brah...

After spending somewhere between 6-8 years in and out of short term relationships, I spent 4 years being single. Best decision I've ever made, as it gave me a lot of time to reflect on the person I am, the person I'd like to be, how I treat others, etc. Being single is the best time for introspection, and I certainly grew as a person as a result of being single.

Then again, it's not for everyone. I find myself content in solitude, but the amount of people I know who are like me pale in comparison to the amount of people who are unable to be happy with only themselves for company.
Maybe I just haven't met the right person, but these days, I really do not believe in 'the one' and everlasting love. It just seems like most relationships come to an end, and I just don't think it's worth the heartache. Is there anybody on here who is single through choice and isn't looking to settle down with someone? Just out of curiosity.

This is me at the moment.

My last relationship left me in a position where I knew I didn't want to be involved with anyone for quite a while. I've had the best year of my life this year focusing on myself and my friends and I didn't meet anyone I felt like I wanted a relationship with. There's plenty of people who're in relationships and completely happy, obviously. In my experience though, I'm happier single.

That's not to say I don't want to meet someone and settle down though, I just haven't met anyone I can stay with :tongue:
Yes, most definitely.

Quick Reply

Latest