The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
bigears69
If you're at KCH you can take a train pretty much straight to the strand, it takes about 15 mins and it cost £65 a year with a student discount (this also gives you free bustravel and tube travel for zones 1 - 2)

Wow where do you get this from? Cos that would be worth it even if I'm not at KCH, just for the free bus and tube travel! When I looked at bus/tube passes I was getting about £15-£20 a week, with student discount :confused:

Edit: Just read further down the page nd saw your links - but it says nothing about price, how do you know it's £65/year?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 521
pcok
Wow where do you get this from? Cos that would be worth it even if I'm not at KCH, just for the free bus and tube travel! When I looked at bus/tube passes I was getting about £15-£20 a week, with student discount :confused:

Edit: Just read further down the page nd saw your links - but it says nothing about price, how do you know it's £65/year?

If you go on the tfl.gov.uk website it has a list of ticket fares in a pdf dcument. Weekly passes are more more expensive, but you can buy a student travelcard in zones 1 - 2 for a month for £65.
Reply 522
bigears69
If you go on the tfl.gov.uk website it has a list of ticket fares in a pdf dcument. Weekly passes are more more expensive, but you can buy a student travelcard in zones 1 - 2 for a month for £65.

Ah right, £65/month, yeah that sounds more like what I was expecting. Does the travelcard include bus/tube/train? Or just tube?
pcok
Ah right, £65/month, yeah that sounds more like what I was expecting. Does the travelcard include bus/tube/train? Or just tube?

All three.
Reply 524
Fabregas1989
All three.

Oyster is only valid on certain overground trains though - and only PAYG I think rather than montly travelcards. It all gets a bit complicated where overland trains are concerned.
Reply 525
pcok

oh sorry, just looked at my previous post and saw my mistake, £65 a year would be great, but then how would boris pay for his holidays!
Reply 526
pcok

emmings
Oyster is only valid on certain overground trains though - and only PAYG I think rather than montly travelcards. It all gets a bit complicated where overland trains are concerned.

it's the other way round: a Zone 1-2 travelcard (which you can put on your Oyster) is valid for travel on all overland trains within zones 1-2, plus all tube journeys within zones 1-2 and bus journeys anywhere in London.

Oyster prepay is only valid on the National Rail routes shown on this map. basically travelcards are just easier and cheaper.
Reply 527
Surprise
it's the other way round: a Zone 1-2 travelcard (which you can put on your Oyster) is valid for travel on all overland trains within zones 1-2, plus all tube journeys within zones 1-2 and bus journeys anywhere in London.

Oyster prepay is only valid on the National Rail routes shown on this map. basically travelcards are just easier and cheaper.

Right, I think when I get to London you are going to have to explain to me exactly what I need to buy, as I'm getting all confused now :confused:
Reply 528
pcok
Right, I think when I get to London you are going to have to explain to me exactly what I need to buy, as I'm getting all confused now :confused:

Lol I agree with you pcok. I visited the oysted card website a few times, and I still don't get it as I am not yet familiar with all the desitinations on the map!

I think once we arrive in London, we can figure it out. :smile:
Reply 529
zana
i think i'm just being paranoid, but is anyone worried about the intercollegiate halls being anti-social because everyone is arriving on different days because of different college's freshers.

i'm also worried about having no one to travel to fresher events with

:frown:

I think they are more social, as you can get to know people from different colleges.
If you're at International we can go together, in any case there surely be someone from your hall to go with.
Reply 530
Hey, can I confirm the residence agreement via email once I get the pack or do I need to send stuff by post too? My deadline is 3.9. and I'd be lucky to get the papers on Monday...
Hey, I was in the 1st allocations and so my deadline was like 3 days ago, and because it was bank holiday my papers didnt get in on time, so I called up, and the only way you can confirm is to actually pay the deposit. So I had to pay by credit card over the phone else they would of given my room to someone else.
Reply 532
I was in the 1st batch of allocations as well. I was informed that my documents hadn't got in on time and I lost my place at KCH (largely due to monday being a bank holiday). I'm more bemused than anything tbh as it was my 5th choice originally. I'm now looking for private accomodation, but it now looks like i'll be rooming with my cousin who's studying in london. But just in case I've asked to be reallocated to see if anything decent comes up.
Reply 533
Alright, so I'll call on Monday and tell em "listen to me, I have money":woo:
Reply 534
Yeah, definitely call up - I called on Tuesday and they had informed me that my papers had been sent that day and that my deadline is 2/9. Unfortunately I've been on a training course for the past few days down in Dorset, so I haven't been able to send the forms back, but I got everything filled out whilst I was away and am now ready to go post it.
Reply 535
I don't think you can have 2 different discounts at once. You're talking about the Young Person's Rail Card, right? You get exactly the same discount, the difference between them being the YPRC is for daily tickets and not on season passes, whereas the 18+ student card only works for season passes (ie. weekly, monthly or annual travelcards) and not daily updates. So the one you decide to get depends on how often you plan to use buses/the tube.
And I'm almost certain Kings participate (though I haven't actually checked, so I can't tell you for sure).

right, now I am really confused. Which one should I get. I was thinking of applying to natwest hence gettting the 18-25 railcard free but with this student oyster photocard throwen into the equation I have no idea. which would be the better deal. GOD, london transport does my NUT!!!
Reply 536
Try using the journey planner Transport for London website and using the ticket prices calculate how much you would spend in an average week.
Reply 537
kevster
right, now I am really confused. Which one should I get. I was thinking of applying to natwest hence gettting the 18-25 railcard free but with this student oyster photocard throwen into the equation I have no idea. which would be the better deal. GOD, london transport does my NUT!!!

if you are going to use public transport to get to lectures or go out, you need the student oyster photocard. with this you can just get a discounted travelcard every month - which is also valid on National Rail within London zones - and you won't need to worry about daily tickets.

if you're going to be doing alot of travelling on National Rail services outside of London (to see family etc) get an 18-25 rail card too.
Reply 538
kevster

If you're going to be travelling on transport for at least... 4 or 5 days a week, then you're better off getting the student oyster card and buying a week/month pass.
If you're going to be travelling less often, then get the YPR and just buy daily passes whenever you need them.

I would recommend the oyster, because chances are you will be using the transport a lot, unless you live in walking distance to your school campus and don't plan to go out too much beyond there for more than 2 or 3 days a week.

Hope that helps.
hey number do you ring to find out about your accomadation?

I will be starting my 2nd year at Kings, but did not apply for accom in my first year?

I will appreciate for someone to tell me the no. to contact?

Latest