Original post by FinalMH
e. Intending applicants with an address
within the M25, those who have
previously commenced a programme
of study at a UK higher education
institution, or who change their
programme of study and re-apply through
Clearing, will not usually be considered
until the start of session (expect for special circumstances)

You must understand that it is not the admission people who go through each persons choices. It is done separately through ballot. And when i was talking them they always try to reassure people that you will get places.

The computer will go through ever person who matches the criteria, however as you live INSIDE the M25, you won't be allocate until the second phase. The system doesn't care about your "reasons". The system attempts to do it fairly.

Their was no need for the red.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/content/1/c6/04/10/27/Myaccommodation2010Maindocument.pdf

Anyways difference aside, if you believe you will have better chances at your aunts address then , then go for it. Will it make a difference i'm not sure? But one thing is for sure is that their will be few places of accommodation available when term starts.

:biggrin: Chances are you probable won't get caught, So good luck :smile: :eek:

woah, this has gotten out of hand, its just a minor suggestion lol.

the reason why i was certain of getting a accomm place if moved my address to my aunts house is this:

while i know that i wont be considered in the first round allocation, there will be places available after the first round allocation for lower prioritied people i.e. within m25. these available places are then given to candidates who live furthest to the college/campus, hence why i believe that if i change my address i would get an offer.

now, in 2010, everyone from zone 4 and above within the m25 got offered accomm BEFORE THE START OF SEMESTER, and there were people from zone 2 and above that got offered mid semester. i dont know if itd be the same this year, probably not as applications may rise due to 2012 9k cut off but hopefully it doesnt.

RED IS COOL :biggrin:

and thanks :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 661
Original post by Norfolk_Enchance

)

Sorry if i came across rude :redface:
Reply 662
Hi guys, I'm completly clueless and could do with some help. I'll be studying at the strand campus, and looking around decided that Stamford street appears to be the best choice for me. I can not decide on other choices, and due to my complete lack of London knowledge I could do with any help you can give.
Thanks, Tom
Reply 663
Original post by Saggers
Hi guys, I'm completly clueless and could do with some help. I'll be studying at the strand campus, and looking around decided that Stamford street appears to be the best choice for me. I can not decide on other choices, and due to my complete lack of London knowledge I could do with any help you can give.
Thanks, Tom

yeah same here am in strand and have no idea weres best beside stamford or when to apply tbh oh and am totally shy so am thinking the apartmenty ones will be best but god help me
I also will be based on the strand so have come up with this order:

1) Stamford street, 2) Great Dover Street, 3) Brian Creamer, 4) Wolfson House, 5) Hampstead Residence.

When i apply can i just put in these 5 choices? As because i live within the m25, i would only be happy to apply to these places as i don't particularly want to be intercollegiate or pay like 10k for liberty (although it does look nice lol).

Thanks

BY THE WAY....has anyone who applied from within the m25 got accommodation yet? I know about the phases but surely we don't have to wait until september. ????
Reply 665
Original post by kebabmonk
D

I heard that only 2 people get SSA who live in M25, and also if you dont put down all accommodations then the ones remaining will be seen as equal, i m not sure if they will be seen equal as your first choices or your last choices. Most people i have talk to who has submit their application has done all of them, most people just put liberty last :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FinalMH
I heard that only 2 people get SSA who live in M25, and also if you dont put down all accommodations then the ones remaining will be seen as equal, i m not sure if they will be seen equal as your first choices or your last choices. Most people i have talk to who has submit their application has done all of them, most people just put liberty last :smile:

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering where this info about SSA and listing all the accommodation was from the uni/friend etc. (reliability). If i have to list them all liberty will definitely be last. :wink:
Reply 667
Original post by kebabmonk
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering where this info about SSA and listing all the accommodation was from the uni/friend etc. (reliability). If i have to list them all liberty will definitely be last. :wink:

With SSA i think their is some truth to it, with people living in M25 given lower proity you must be really lucky to get it, considering how many UG apply for it.

Applicants should rank ALL of the
available residences in order of preference.
Any residences not ranked by the
applicant will be considered to be of equal
preference. Applicants will be considered
for any places which are available at the
time of allocations

Taken from the my accomodation booklet ^ That i can see is really reliable LOL. However the passage was really vague and if you want more detail information i would suggest ring up or contacting them through email, they will give you more information.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 668
Hi guys,

have you received acknowledgement letter for your accommodation application? I submitted my application more than a month ago and I am still waiting...
Hey guys, don't know if this is gonna be any help, but I'm at KCL at the moment, and a friend of mine coming in September asked me advice about accommodation, so I put this together for her and thought I might as well put it on here too :smile:

Ok, well the best accommodation for you really depends on what you're looking for from it - catered/ non-catered, location, price, corridors vs flats etc. but I'll try to give you an overview.

King's College Hall (KCH): Catered, far away, cheap, corridors, shared bathrooms

This is where I've been this year, and I personally didn't like it. But having said that, I know some people who've loved it. KCH is made up of three buildings - Platanes (huge old mansion house, mainly for postgrads, apparently haunted in the basement lol), Cameron (bit shabby, but lots of storage space in the rooms - yes, you will be jealous of that in your first few days!) and Danehurst (where I am, it's a bit like a prison block lol - breeze block walls (none of this plaster lark for us!), lino floors, odd smelling showers). I can't really tell you much about the other buildings, but Danehurst has long corridors which then share a toilet room and a shower room. There's also a small 'kitchen' (ie. it has an oven and microwave) for if you get sick of the food and want to cook for yourself/ over holidays if you're around while the catering staff are off. It's pretty basic, but I've catered for myself all year using it, so it's at least functional. The toilets are shared between corridors - I think there's about 15ish sharing 3 on my corridor (there's supposed to be 4 but it's been out of order since the start of the year and they've never got around to fixing it) and showers are the same, but 2 between a corridor. If one corridor has nice showers (though I'm not sure they exist) then people from others will come to use them. Having said all that, I've never experienced it being overly busy.
KCH does have one upside though; it's apparently very sociable because of the fact that it's catered - everyone goes for meals together and you can get to know many more people that way (I say apparently because I was really fussy and didn't want catered accommodation in the first place so have been cooking for myself and therefore not going for meals, ergo I don't even know everyone on my corridor) it also has its own bar and hosts something every saturday, with really big halls parties once a term (drinks are ridiculously cheap!). There's also 2 libraries, a common room, a music room and TV/ games room.
Locationwise, it's one of the more distant residences - to get to Guy's campus, there's a direct train from Denmark Hill (about a 5/10min walk away) but I think that for Waterloo and Strand there's only buses, and I think they take about half an hour. Living here, you will need to get a zones 1-2 travelcard (about £74/ month) so that might be a factor for your budget. The cost this year has been £4659.20, which, considering it's catered, is relatively cheap.
(BTW, KCH was supposed to be being demolished last year, so if that's still on the cards then it might not even be an option for you)

Great Dover Street (GDS): Non-catered, central (very close to Guy's campus), quite expensive, flats, ensuite

A lot of my friends are at GDS, and this was my first preference when it came to applying last year. Rooms here are spread over about 10 blocks (different blocks have different room sizes too) and are arranged into flats of 5 or 6 which then all share a kitchen, but you can only get into your own flat and so will only really know those 4/5 other people unless you meet people somewhere else. In fresher's week, I think they leave some of the doors open between flats so that you can meet more people, but bear in mind that they may then turn out to be in another block once the door's locked again! (As happened to my friend)
Because space is at such a premium, GDS only has a relatively small common room, but there's a pub across the road, and Guy's bar is only a few mins walk away (you have to go for Sports Night on a Wednesday btw!) Again, to get to Strand, you're going to have to take a bus, which I think takes about 20mins, plus a 10min walk to the stop.
I think the fees for GDS this year are about £5500.

Stamford Street: Non-catered, central (closest King's only residence to Strand), quite expensive, flats, ensuite

Stamford Street is pretty much a carbon-copy of GDS, but Stamford Street also has Kinetic gym in the building. This is your best bet with regards to location - it's walking distance from Strand (maybe 10/15mins?) and there's also quite a few buses that will take you over the river if it's raining/ you're feeling lazy. It's also really close to Waterloo station which you'll love if you get involved with any of the sports teams (most of them play at Honor Oak Park which you have to take a train to, or if you do rowing (Best sport ever! Come to the fresher barbeque! I may be slightly biased...) you have to get the train to Mortlake from here). Fees are the same as GDS as far as I know.

Hampstead: Non-catered, far away, cheap, corridors, shared bathrooms

Again, I know quite a few people at Hampstead, and once they got over just how far away it is, pretty much all of them love it. It takes about an hour to get to Guy's campus from there, so I think to Strand (getting the Northern line to Embankment and then walking) it'd probably be a bit quicker, maybe 45mins. I know someone who cycles in, and makes it to Guy's in about 40mins, so 30 to get to Strand maybe? The tube has been pretty reliable for them all year, but when there were strikes, they had major problems.
There's a number of different buildings here like at KCH, and again they're of varying standards. Some (ie. Lord Cameron building) have been very recently done up, and so all the kitchens an bathrooms are brand new. The kitchens and bathrooms are shared between corridors, but the kitchens are pretty huge, and I can't remember ever having to wait to cook something when I've been there. As I said, the buildings vary though, and some aren't quite as modern as you might like, but I've not really heard any complaints about it, and it's very sociable due to having corridors and shared kitchens as opposed to flats. There's a bar somewhere there (I've never managed to find it lol) and also a pretty good games room and TV room.
Fees are the cheapest, I think they're about £4400-4500.

Wolfson House: Non-catered, central (actually on Guy's campus) relatively cheap, flats, shared bathrooms

I don't properly know anyone who lives here, but the few people I've met said they really liked it - it's sociable and really well located. Fees are on a par with KCH as far as I know.

Brian Creamer + The Rectory:

Never met anyone who's living here! I think they're only postgrad residences.

Intercollegiate Halls:

I've never properly had anything to do with them, so I can't help you here! The people I know living there like it though, they said it's really good to have the opportunity to mix with students from other unis (which you wouldn't really get the chance to otherwise), again it's very sociable but that's as much as I can tell you! It looks like the transport links would be pretty good though.

Hope that's helpful! If there's anything else you want to know, just ask, and I'll hopefully get back to you a bit quicker. Other than that, good luck with your accommodation application! From talking to people, it would seem that most people get one of their top 5 or so choices - I think I was just very unlucky (got 15th out of 16 lol), but bear in mind that whatever you get, you're going to be stuck with; they're very unaccommodating when it comes to changing - I spent a good few hours on the phone to them when I got my allocation, and in the end was pretty much told to either accept it or find somewhere else to live, cos they have a waiting list so long that they'll have no problems filling a spot if someone decides not to take it up.

Good luck with your applications!
Reply 670
[QUOTE=lyrabelacqua;31321031

Good luck with your applications!

I actually love you for this made my night lol
Reply 671
Thank for the information lyrabelacqua! really helpful! =]!

I have a question about the application process though... I applied online about a month and a half ago, but I still didn't recieve any kind of confirmation... has anyone else received some kind of confirmation that they actually got your application???...

I got really confused and also slightly worried that maybe the application hadn't worked, so I applied again :s-smilie:.. would that even be possible if it had worked the first time round???...
.. .... geeZ! so confused! ! !
Reply 672
Original post by Momo22
Thank for the information lyrabelacqua! really helpful! =]!

I have a question about the application process though... I applied online about a month and a half ago, but I still didn't recieve any kind of confirmation... has anyone else received some kind of confirmation that they actually got your application???...

I got really confused and also slightly worried that maybe the application hadn't worked, so I applied again :s-smilie:.. would that even be possible if it had worked the first time round???...
.. .... geeZ! so confused! ! !

They will start to process applications after the 30th June deadline, though only applicants holding unconditional offers will be considered then. Results of the 1st round will be available since the middle of the July, for postgraduates, and much more later (maybe in August, not sure) for undergraduates.

Don't be worried.:smile:
Reply 673
Original post by ZYY
They will start to process applications after the 30th June deadline, though only applicants holding unconditional offers will be considered then. Results of the 1st round will be available since the middle of the July, for postgraduates, and much more later (maybe in August, not sure) for undergraduates.

Don't be worried.:smile:

Where does it say that people who have unconditional offers will get it after June :s-smilie:

First round allocations will be
confirmed during the weeks following
publication of A-level results and eligible
applicants who are successful at this
time should expect to receive an offer of
accommodation by 1 September.

New postgraduate: at any point from July to start of
session. First round of offers are usually received by
1 August.
New undergraduate: at any point following release of
A-level results to start of session. First round of offers
are usually received by 1 September.

Wouldn't that suggest they get it the same time as people who have it as their firm choices? (then meet their offers)
Reply 674
Hi everyone.

If anyone is wanting to figure out a bit more about catered housing options, including intercollegiates and KCH, you might wanna check out a thread I just posted...and please help me expand it:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1656108

Good luck:smile:
Reply 675
Original post by FinalMH
Where does it say that people who have unconditional offers will get it after June :s-smilie:

First round allocations will be
confirmed during the weeks following
publication of A-level results and eligible
applicants who are successful at this
time should expect to receive an offer of
accommodation by 1 September.

New postgraduate: at any point from July to start of
session. First round of offers are usually received by
1 August.
New undergraduate: at any point following release of
A-level results to start of session. First round of offers
are usually received by 1 September.

Wouldn't that suggest they get it the same time as people who have it as their firm choices? (then meet their offers)

When I said the middle of the July, it only refered to POSTGRADUATES. I don't know much about how it goes with undergraduates. And my point was to tell him/her not to be worried about it now.:smile:

You are ug, right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 676
Original post by ZYY
When I said the middle of the July, it only refered to POSTGRADUATES. I don't know much about how it goes with undergraduates. And my point was to tell him/her not to be worried about it now.:smile:

You are ug, right?

Yeah :L sorrrrry :colondollar:

i don't like their system lol
Reply 677
Original post by FinalMH
Yeah :L sorrrrry :colondollar:

i don't like their system lol

It's ok.

BTW, creat a better system and beat the current one:biggrin:
Reply 678
I still haven't booked yet :s-smilie:
Still haven't sorted out accomodation; I'm planning to do it next week.

I'm pretty sure they consider you equally if you applied before 30th June, right?

Latest