The Student Room Group

Best unis to study Philosophy?

Prospective Philosophy student curious about the best places to study. Any help?

Scroll to see replies

Can I ask what career you are hoping to pursue with a philosophy degree or are you doing it just because it interests you. Just curious :smile:
Original post by marco14196
Can I ask what career you are hoping to pursue with a philosophy degree or are you doing it just because it interests you. Just curious :smile:

I'm interested in it and I've heard you don't need specific subjects for specific careers eg econ for a job in finance (which is what I'm interested in pursuing btw)
Original post by aa_batteries
I'm interested in it and I've heard you don't need specific subjects for specific careers eg econ for a job in finance (which is what I'm interested in pursuing btw)

I wouldn't gamble it based on something you've heard. Sure, its true you get some key transferable skills but employers will always have a preference for someone who has studied a particular degree that is directly related to the job offered. The problem I think with degrees like philosophy are that they don't offer a specific skillset so to speak. Just think it over. You should really do the degree with a specific job in mind otherwise you're wasting time and money. Just a little advice.
I wouldn't gamble it based on something you've heard. Sure, its true you get some key transferable skills but employers will always have a preference for someone who has studied a particular degree that is directly related to the job offered. The problem I think with degrees like philosophy are that they don't offer a specific skillset so to speak. Just think it over. You should really do the degree with a specific job in mind otherwise you're wasting time and money. Just a little advice.

dont scaremonger the guy by saying a complete lie please, your degree means nothing, its what you do outside the degree that matters.
Prospective Philosophy student curious about the best places to study. Any help?

oxbridge warwick ucl lse, as expected

I'm also interested in PPE, do you think that would be better? I thought of possibly just studying Philosophy as it would be easier to get into Philosophy at Cambridge than PPE at Oxford since it is ridiculously competitive, and any prospective employer would prefer someone who studied at Cambridge rather than Warwick, for example, regardless of the degree. Or is that just wishful thinking?

this is correct, degree means nothing, you just need a 2.1, depends how much you do outside the degree, to show you interest in ib/finance, gl!
pm for more help on ib or finance in general
Original post by welcometoib
dont scaremonger the guy by saying a complete lie please, your degree means nothing, its what you do outside the degree that matters.

not true in every case.. Language degrees obviously mean something, they bring the ability to speak that language as well as tons of transferable skills

just one of many examples in which the degree is important

but yeah OP don't do a degree in philosophy with the hope of getting a job/earning money from it in your desired sector (or any sector with philosophy, tbh..), try to do a finance-related degree if you want to go into a finance-related job! It doesn't matter what your ECs are, if you aren't qualified in economics/accountancy/physics/mathematics/any other STEM job, you will have a majorly hard time getting a job in that field
Original post by danavfc96
not true in every case.. Language degrees obviously mean something, they bring the ability to speak that language as well as tons of transferable skills

just one of many examples in which the degree is important

but yeah OP don't do a degree in philosophy with the hope of getting a job/earning money from it in your desired sector (or any sector with philosophy, tbh..), try to do a finance-related degree if you want to go into a finance-related job! It doesn't matter what your ECs are, if you aren't qualified in economics/accountancy/physics/mathematics/any other STEM job, you will have a majorly hard time getting a job in that field

guy is interested in finance.
youre talking out your backside, what year of uni you in? it matters hugely what your extra curriculars are to get a job in finance, which are the best and nighest paid jobs in thee country.

I didn't say it was worthless, I said that he should think carefully before embarking on the degree. It's a significant time and fiscal investment, not a merry no worries experience. I say this to many people on this forum that they need to think about the conclusion of their degree after the 3 year period. If he does the degree and knows how he can utilise it to its fullest, then great, it was worth it. If he's doing the degree just because he likes philosophy and doesn't have an idea of a career, its a dangerous spot to end up in.
I didn't say it was worthless, I said that he should think carefully before embarking on the degree. It's a significant time and fiscal investment, not a merry no worries experience. I say this to many people on this forum that they need to think about the conclusion of their degree after the 3 year period. If he does the degree and knows how he can utilise it to its fullest, then great, it was worth it. If he's doing the degree just because he likes philosophy and doesn't have an idea of a career, its a dangerous spot to end up in.

correct, and same for any degree. many many unemployed stem students despite the hallucination of students on here pretending its miles better because they have no employment skills whatsoever.
I'm also interested in PPE, do you think that would be better? I thought of possibly just studying Philosophy as it would be easier to get into Philosophy at Cambridge than PPE at Oxford since it is ridiculously competitive, and any prospective employer would prefer someone who studied at Cambridge rather than Warwick, for example, regardless of the degree. Or is that just wishful thinking?

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I'm just trying to inspire thought in you when it comes to your future. I see so many people on TSR who followed their hearts into the degree they had a passion for and then had employers essentially slam the door on them. You sound like you enjoy philosophy a lot and the analytical skills that comes with will be valuable. My advice is to do the degree IF you're certain of what career you are looking for in 3-4 years time. If you're just doing it because you like philosophy or politics but you aren't keeping an eye on the career ball, it becomes a dangerous proposition. Good luck with your endeavours anyway
correct, and same for any degree. many many unemployed stem students despite the hallucination of students on here pretending its miles better because they have no employment skills whatsoever.

Depends on the STEM you do. The more vocational nature of engineering makes it a safer area to try and get employment through. The others are not really all that safe. STM is not that safe but engineering is.
guy is interested in finance.
youre talking out your backside, what year of uni you in? it matters hugely what your extra curriculars are to get a job in finance, which are the best and nighest paid jobs in thee country.

if the guy is that interested in finance, why isn't he doing a finance-related degree?

that's how it will look.. ECs matter hugely yeah to separate candidates from one another. Why would you employ someone as an economist at any level, for example, if they aren't qualified in economics?

That defies all logic
Depends on the STEM you do. The more vocational nature of engineering makes it a safer area to try and get employment through. The others are not really all that safe. STM is not that safe but engineering is.

this is something people on tsr, especially big headed and no clue sixth formers, do not understand. doing a pure science really isnt this magical ticket, its not whatsoever, degrees like ppe dick over bio chem etc.
Original post by danavfc96
if the guy is that interested in finance, why isn't he doing a finance-related degree?

that's how it will look.. ECs matter hugely yeah to separate candidates from one another. Why would you employ someone as an economist at any level, for example, if they aren't qualified in economics?

That defies all logic

because phil interests him? lol.
what does econ help you with in ib?
an economist yes. the actual highest paid roles, ib and consulting, no.
for finance, which everyone seems blind to see, the best universities are the ones ive mentioned, by a distance too.
this is something people on tsr, especially big headed and no clue sixth formers, do not understand. doing a pure science really isnt this magical ticket, its not whatsoever, degrees like ppe dick over bio chem etc.

I nearly ended up studying a STEM last year.....then I had a surgery and had to wait a year to go back to university. In that whole year, time spent recovering from being cut open, I had a complete shift in my thought process. Here I am now and I have abandoned university as a pathway. I previously wanted to be a research scientist.....then it dawned on me that the salaries are low, jobs are few and you have to have a masters to even be relevant. Now I'm joining the navy instead because I realised that I didn't want to be stuck in that university machine for another half a decade
Thanks, that link was really useful, but Oxford doesn't offer Philosophy specifically so this is In reference to a PPE degree right?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest