The Student Room Group

Urgent HELP.... ICT

Hey

My first word is Help!! Can someone make a low level data flow diagrams and high level on this short scenario, it would be really help full. I am so crap on doing as I have tried it doing for ages and never got the right done. I don’t understand these even after looking at the notes and helpful diagrams from internet. They are confusing!!

The scenario:
My end-user is the owner of salon. The appointments can be made by only telephoning them and they store in their diary. Recent Customers complains that their appointments are usually not started on time and at the end of the day, they leave the salon as their turn comes up after ages. And so on. My recommendation is to introduce Electronic system. If more information is needed please ask so…

Please try to make it quick as possible. I will be very thankful. Very thankful. The Dfd’s are well confusing! Sad isn’t it? I know.
Well nobody can actually do it for you, but it shouldn't be too tough to do a low level DFD, is it level 0 then? I hate doing them as well.

You should probably have a central circle, representing the salon, for starters. And then an arrow coming in from the left, with a box labelled 'customers', and along the arrow something like 'phone call', as that's how they communicate with the salon to book their appointment.

WAIT hold everything I just said...I just realised- is this meant to be a DFD for the current system, or for a new electronic system?

I won't write any more cos I don't know which one it's meant to be, but if you pm me some more details I'll try and help, not too good at them myself though..
Reply 2
yeah that's a crucial question!

whichever it is though, the following holds. Processes are essentially verbs, so "doing" words - like "Book appointment"/"Make appointment" would be a process. This needs to be recorded somewhere - so in a data store, which could either be an appointments diary if it's a paper system, or an appointment table if it's done in a database.

The data flows will be stuff like the date, time and stylist name.

The data source will be the customer. It's not clear to me what the output is from the system - I guess maybe a list showing the list of appointments for each stylist that might be given out at the start of each day. That would be a data destination so go in a rectangular box.

HTH
Reply 3
iainmacn
yeah that's a crucial question!

whichever it is though, the following holds. Processes are essentially verbs, so "doing" words - like "Book appointment"/"Make appointment" would be a process. This needs to be recorded somewhere - so in a data store, which could either be an appointments diary if it's a paper system, or an appointment table if it's done in a database.

The data flows will be stuff like the date, time and stylist name.

The data source will be the customer. It's not clear to me what the output is from the system - I guess maybe a list showing the list of appointments for each stylist that might be given out at the start of each day. That would be a data destination so go in a rectangular box.

HTH

Output will be list showing appointments basiaclly for each stylists. Wow u sounds like professional abt DFD.
Thanks 4 help.
Reply 4
I'm an IT teacher - used to work in the industry. I'm mainly on here because I'm hoping to start training as a physio next year but wandered into the IT forum!

A lot of this stuff isn't too bad after you do a dew examples and realise a few key concepts like processes are verbs - I usually start with those.

Practise your own ones though - but hopefully that's given you a few pointers.
Reply 5
Reading the actual question I have to ask, If someone is too stupid to organize a paper diary so customers are dealt with promptly how does an electronic diary fix the problem?

Answer - it does not! Your user just needs to book appointments for a longer time, electronics will not fix this problem.

Why would a salon want an electronic diary when paper is cheaper to use, faster to consult and easier to understand by people without IT skills?

Or employee more stylists, if you have more work than you can cope with, it would make sense.

Has anyone even been to a salon that uses a computer system? Maybe I just go to the wrong ones, they all use books and they seem to operate fine. How about a bit of honesty here.

The question should read

"For no reason - a salon wishes to get rid of their perfectly good paper booking system and replace it with a computerised system which may have lots of extra features they will never use - but this is an ICT question so shut up and don't think about it, just computerise this simple task"

For your level 0, draw a box, write inside it "booking system"
Draw a circle with "Customer"
draw data flows -> prefered date and time ->name & contact details <-booking confirmation number ->attendance

Draw a circle "Management"
->Daily Schedule
->management reports

for your level one draw stores [Customer [Appointment

draw processes [Take cusotmer name]
[find cusotmer number]
[make booking]
[check for clash/over booking]
[print daily shedule]

The data flows won't be checked that closely if you get them approximately right so just use common sense

Latest

Trending

Trending