The Student Room Group

Thursday's Independant front page - Somebody's Child

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LockheedSpooky
Were it not for the men on the Paris train, we would have seen dozens dead.

The fact we aren't attacked weekly, is down to our security forces who are inundated with plots to murder Brits and Europeans.

Loads of the people planning these kind of attacks at the moment are 'home-grown'...so why would helping genuine refugees lead to more terror attacks?
Reply 41
I see the left is having a political orgasm in the wake of these pictures.

They have no logic they know no numbers just show the public pictures of dead children and maybe they will stop caring about their borders.
Reply 42
Original post by yelllowribbon
Innocent people dying while trying to escape unthinkable violence and persecution vs 'strained transport system'...oh let's not worry about helping them, my bus is too busy as it is

I blame their parents for taking this risk. They were already safe in Turkey.
Reply 43
Loads of the people planning these kind of attacks at the moment are 'home-grown'...so why would helping genuine refugees lead to more terror attacks?

Jihadi johns family were asylum seekers?
Reply 44
Original post by Captain Haddock
The people who committed those acts were born here, genius.

Exactly, their children will commit acts of terror.
Innocent people dying while trying to escape unthinkable violence and persecution vs 'strained transport system'...oh let's not worry about helping them, my bus is too busy as it is

I see you ignored the part about healthcare systems. "Oh, we only have to wait weeks to see our GP, and months for essential operations, let's bring in more people!"

But how do you think the country is going to cope with the hundreds of thousands that will require aid? You think they'll come here having degrees, perfect english and money to survive? NO. they'll come here and will require social housing, claim more benefits, put more strain on the NHS and wont contribute to the economy for atleast a few years. Be realistic. This isnt a happy ever after ending, there are consequences to every action. not to mention that these people are actually crossing perfectly safe, civilized, first world countries to get to the UK. If they were truly only escaping persecution and violence then they would have stopped at the first safe haven they went through - but they didnt. They want to come to the UK because they know everything will be handed to them. Its an easy life.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
And Yvette Coopers political point scoring off of this saying we should take 10,000 syrian 'refugees' every month!? 10 families in every town!? 10 more welfare families! WE ALREADY HAVE OUR OWN FREE LOADERS.
This is so wrong. So horribly wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Hedgehogkilla

Well done my young leftist! You managed to combine 20 leftist soundbites in one picture! Congratulations.

Btw how many are coming to your house then?
Original post by SeaPony
Well done my young leftist! You managed to combine 20 leftist soundbites in one picture! Congratulations.

Btw how many are coming to your house then?

Well done my young reactionary! You've managed to not make an argument! Congratulations.
Reply 52
Original post by SeaPony
And Yvette Coopers political point scoring off of this saying we should take 10,000 syrian 'refugees' every month!? 10 families in every town!? 10 more welfare families! WE ALREADY HAVE OUR OWN FREE LOADERS.

These are desperate refugees fleeing their wrecked homes and country, they're not benefit tourists, I don't know where this ludicrous idea that everyone coming to this country are only after benefits has come from, the vast majority of those coming over from Syria will be willing to work, they are not 'free loaders'.
The truth is everyone that posts here knows we cant take these people in. They know it but they want to take the moral high ground and bitch about how we have to without even remotely suggesting how we will accommodate them all. I wasn't born in the UK either, but I came here legally, parents paid taxes and never claimed benefits or social housing. Its definitely possible to do, but the hard truth is that there isn't anyone anymore that wants to do it the right way.

I'll echo the words in my previous reply, these people only want to come to the UK because they know that everything will be handed to them. Free healthcare, free social housing, free child benefits, unemployment benefits, income support, council tax support - if that isn't included in housing benefits, employment and support allowance - just to name a few of the funds they can claim and will likely get.

Fact is, if they were escaping violence and persecution - they would have stopped in France, or Turkey, or any other country that they went through in Europe actually.

The only solution to this "crisis" is to actually stop bitching about how we should let these people in, and start doing something in their home countries to sort this ****ing mess out. ISIS was formed as a result of the US, they should do more. Letting these people in will not solve the problems for the millions of others left in their home countries - that's what people are ignoring. There is no other solution..unless you're stupid enough to suggest that we should open the gates to those few millions too.
Reply 54
Original post by Olie
These are desperate refugees fleeing their wrecked homes and country, they're not benefit tourists, I don't know where this ludicrous idea that everyone coming to this country are only after benefits has come from, the vast majority of those coming over from Syria will be willing to work, they are not 'free loaders'.

They were safe in Greece? Hello any common sense amongst any of you here? Saying they are 'desperate' or 'fleeing' does not change reality.
Original post by bailfire
The only solution to this "crisis" is to actually stop bitching about how we should let these people in, and start doing something in their home countries to sort this ****ing mess out. ISIS was formed as a result of the US, they should do more. Letting these people in will not solve the problems for the millions of others left in their home countries - that's what people are ignoring. There is no other solution..unless you're stupid enough to suggest that we should open the gates to those few millions too.

No one is saying that we shouldn't try to fix the problems in the refugee's home countries but that is a long term solution. It'll take years, if not decades, to fix the problems in the middle east. However, there are people needlessly dying and we need a solution for that problem right now.
Original post by SeaPony
Exactly, their children will commit acts of terror.

...'In 10 years time'?
Reply 57
Original post by Captain Haddock
...'In 10 years time'?

Their children come with them of course for max sympathy+max welfare.
Original post by bailfire
I doubt it would take decades, everyone is against going to war ever since Iraq etc. No one wants us to invade, they won't want to let the migrants in either - that's the actual problem. If we cant let them in then we have to do more to help.

You're telling some ragheads with no training at all, no advanced military weapons or intel would last a year against the US army, British Army and NATO?

No one wants to put boots on the ground again since I think most people will agree that the Iraq war was a failure. Taking out ISIS won't fix the problem. Fighting an idioglogy is a lot more difficult than bombing a few people.
Original post by SeaPony
Their children come with them of course for max sympathy+max welfare.

Or because, y'know, they are their children.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending