The Student Room Group

Am I a bad person? (I scored 87 out of 100 on the Machiavellian test)

For those of you who don't know: "Niccolò Machiavelli (1469–1527) was an Italian politician and philosopher who is famous for his advocacy of political ethics that hold effectiveness as more important that morality. He is the source of the phrase "the ends justify the means".

In the 1960s, social psychologists Richard Christie and Florence L. Geis, who collected statements from Machiavelli's writings and asked people how much they agreed with each, concluded that Machiavellianism exists as a distinct personality trait. They published the MACH-IV in 1970 and it has been a popular instrument ever since."

I scored 87 out of 100 (putting me in the 'High Machs'), which according to the website is the score for "people who do not believe in the goodness of the world and that because that it must be manipulated, people who Machiavelli would approve of."

Does this make me a bad person? I took the test seriously and didn't find any of my responses unreasonable. Is my thinking about the world as awful as the website makes out to be? I don't consider myself a dark or twisted person, simply just realistic. Has anyone else on TSR scored this highly in the test?

Thanks.

Take the Test: http://personality-testing.info/tests/MACH-IV.php

Scroll to see replies

I scored 83
A score on this isn't really representative of whether you're a good person or not, I think someone who is in the high Machs range is more realistic than someone who is in a much lower range. Hate to be the one to shake the dust off the tinfoil hat but the world in terms of finance, politics and the media is manipulated to some degree.
Reply 2
I scored 42 out of 100, I also took the test seriously aha. I'm in the low machs but I'd consider my answers to have been pretty realistic tbh. :bubbles:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I got 62. :cookie:
Reply 4
I got 58. If I was answering with a view to trying to be "successful", i.e. climb the corporate ladder and earn lots of money, then I would have scored very highly. I just don't see the real value in that goal.
If you have to ask...
Original post by JozefKPilsudski
For those of you who don't know: "Niccolò Machiavelli (1469–1527) was an Italian politician and philosopher who is famous for his advocacy of political ethics that hold effectiveness as more important that morality. He is the source of the phrase "the ends justify the means".

In the 1960s, social psychologists Richard Christie and Florence L. Geis, who collected statements from Machiavelli's writings and asked people how much they agreed with each, concluded that Machiavellianism exists as a distinct personality trait. They published the MACH-IV in 1970 and it has been a popular instrument ever since."

I scored 87 out of 100 (putting me in the 'High Machs':wink:, which according to the website is the score for "people who do not believe in the goodness of the world and that because that it must be manipulated, people who Machiavelli would approve of."

Does this make me a bad person? I took the test seriously and didn't find any of my responses unreasonable. Is my thinking about the world as awful as the website makes out to be? I don't consider myself a dark or twisted person, simply just realistic. Has anyone else on TSR scored this highly in the test?

Thanks.

Take the Test: http://personality-testing.info/tests/MACH-IV.php

I got 86
Ha. Could have done with being longer and with more questions to know more about people but I scored:

Your score was 75 of 100.

This puts you in the category of the high Machs, people who do not belive in the goodness of the world and that because that it must be manipulated, people who Machiavelli would approve of.

As expected.

But I have no further comment on my result. I just think it's right, I don't see the goodness in most things.
Got 75 :cool:
I got 94/100 but then again i knew i would score highly. I think Machiavellian intelligence is actually a good thing?

I have the highest so far ... so if you're a bad person OP what am i?
(edited 8 years ago)
I am a Machiavellian. As in I believe in constraint upon the actions of men. Which is when you get down to what The Prince is all about. The Machiavelli's works are far more interesting and insightful than people think. Stupid documentaries by the BBC don't help. Also The Prince was a geopolitical political book, it had nothing to do with politics. More to do with the history of Italy and Machiavelli trying to free Italy from the French and Spanish. But this is all lost because people miss quote what he wrote or take it way out of context. Indeed they have changed the entire context of the book.
(edited 8 years ago)
"Your score was 63 of 100. This puts you in the category of the high Machs, people who do not belive in the goodness of the world and that because that it must be manipulated, people who Machiavelli would approve of."

don't take this stuff to seriously, it's all just games
Your score was 54 of 100.

This puts you in the category of the low Machs, people who will hold out for the goodness of the world and avoid manipulation. Not the people Machiavelli would approve of.

Okay.
I got 77
Reply 17
Original post by Crystalz
I got 94/100 but then again i knew i would score highly. I think Machiavellian intelligence is actually a good thing?

I have the highest so far ... so if you're a bad person OP what am i?

I just got 96, and that's with my honest opinions. If the OP is a bad person, with 87, then we are just next level evil.
47 of 100
Original post by daved96
I just got 96, and that's with my honest opinions. If the OP is a bad person, with 87, then we are just next level evil.

Lol
I think it's just common sense. If you want something from someone and there's a plausible reason for why you should have it that pretty much gurantees you'll get it WHY WOULD YOU NOT USE THAT REASON.

Latest