The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Qualifiers (September 2015 matches)

Scroll to see replies

Christ Robson-Kanu is average beyond belief
Jazz Richards has been superb. Ashley Williams a brick wall, again.
Cashed out at the perfect time before Latvia equalised :cool:

Iceland keep marching on. The Dutch really sitting in an uncomfortable position now.
Reply 23
Gylfi barely managed to score that penalty for Iceland against the Netherlands.

Great wins for Belgium and Wales, though, with the latter on the brink of qualifying. De Bruyne's turn and strike was great, and caught Begovic off guard, but Fellaini's header was the pick of the bunch for me.
Can’t quite believe Wales are only one win away from qualifying for a major tournament. I’ve never been faced with the dilemma of Portugal and Wales both qualifying for a competition, so I have no idea what I’m going to be like if both qualify.

I haven't been around as much lately so I don't know if it has been asked previously but did anyone manage to get their hands on tickets for the Euros? I applied expecting to get none but I managed to get tickets for four matches.
Reply 25
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Can’t quite believe Wales are only one win away from qualifying for a major tournament. I’ve never been faced with the dilemma of Portugal and Wales both qualifying for a competition, so I have no idea what I’m going to be like if both qualify.

I haven't been around as much lately so I don't know if it has been asked previously but did anyone manage to get their hands on tickets for the Euros? I applied expecting to get none but I managed to get tickets for four matches.

I applied, and so did a lot of people I know, but everyone was unsuccessful. Enjoy!
It's going to be so weird having Iceland, Wales, Austria & Northern Ireland at a major tournament.
Does anyone know how seeding for the groups will happen for the actual tournament? If Wales finish top of their group, will they be a top seed, or will it be based on previous tournaments, or even rankings?
Original post by The Wavefunction
Does anyone know how seeding for the groups will happen for the actual tournament? If Wales finish top of their group, will they be a top seed, or will it be based on previous tournaments, or even rankings?

Not sure but I think you're top seeds for WC qualifying.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Not sure but I think you're top seeds for WC qualifying.

Yeah, we were top seeds for WC qualifying. Group could have been nicer, but that's another topic for a different day.
Would be really useful if we were top seeds for the tournament, avoiding Germany and Spain et al.
Yeah, we were top seeds for WC qualifying. Group could have been nicer, but that's another topic for a different day.
Would be really useful if we were top seeds for the tournament, avoiding Germany and Spain et al.

No idea, I know for the World Cup the seeded teams were the ones who were top 10 in the FIFA rankings, not sure if it's going to be similar with this (top 8?)

How've you found the qualifying anyway? I'm not Welsh but I've watched most of your games and the performances and results must be like winning cup final after cup final. With the Belgium game I know a Welsh lad who was saying just don't lose, nick a draw, same with the Israel away match (3-0?) and now this Cyprus one too.

Wales will beat Israel at the weekend.
No idea, I know for the World Cup the seeded teams were the ones who were top 10 in the FIFA rankings, not sure if it's going to be similar with this (top 8?)

How've you found the qualifying anyway? I'm not Welsh but I've watched most of your games and the performances and results must be like winning cup final after cup final. With the Belgium game I know a Welsh lad who was saying just don't lose, nick a draw, same with the Israel away match (3-0?) and now this Cyprus one too.

If it goes on rankings Sodds law we'll end up playing France (provided they are not given 1st seed due to hosting).

It's all been a bit surreal in all honesty, been helped by a seriously under performing Bosnia team. To begin with I was just looking for third and taking our chances in the play-offs.
I was the same regarding Bosnia and Belgium, pinch a draw and get out of there, any point is a bonus. Having watched Israel and Cyprus, 3 points home and away a must for me. Both pretty poor.

Obviously we're heavily reliant on that one fella down the wing, but I don't think I've seen an international team with such spirit and comraderie in my lifetime. Everyone is together and the players seem to want to play and don't see international games as an unwelcome distraction. Really think England could take a leaf out of our book.

Also a big shoutout to Ashley Williams, for me, the best Brtish centre half at the moment. Been just as important for us as Bale.
(edited 8 years ago)
If it goes on rankings Sodds law we'll end up playing France (provided they are not given 1st seed due to hosting).

It's all been a bit surreal in all honesty, been helped by a seriously under performing Bosnia team. To begin with I was just looking for third and taking our chances in the play-offs.
I was the same regarding Bosnia and Belgium, pinch a draw and get out of there, any point is a bonus. Having watched Israel and Cyprus, 3 points home and away a must for me. Both pretty poor.

Obviously we're heavily reliant on that one fella down the wing, but I don't think I've seen an international team with such spirit and comraderie in my lifetime. Everyone is together and the players seem to want to play and don't see international games as an unwelcome distraction. Really think England could take a leaf out of our book.

Also a big shoutout to Ashley Williams, for me, the best Brtish centre half at the moment. Been just as important for us as Bale.

Smalling.
Reply 33

It's all done by UEFA coefficient, which is based on Euro 2012 qualifying + tournament (20%), WC14 qualifying + tournament (40%), and Euro 2016 qualifying (40%). France and Spain (as holders) take 2 of the 6 pot 1 spots regardless of coefficient, other than them the top 4 as of 2013 was Germany, Holland, Italy, England and it won't be updated again until after qualifying.

So no chance for Wales, but England might get it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
It's all done by UEFA coefficient, which is based on Euro 2012 qualifying + tournament (20%), WC14 qualifying + tournament (40%), and Euro 2016 qualifying (40%). France and Spain (as holders) take 2 of the 6 pot 1 spots regardless of coefficient, other than them the top 4 as of 2013 was Germany, Holland, Italy, England and it won't be updated again until after qualifying.

So no chance for Wales, but England might get it.

Nice work man! There's always next time.
Original post by Manchester United
Smalling.

I'll give you a chance to take that back, sir.
Reply 36
Nice work man! There's always next time.

At least you're guaranteed a huge game!
Original post by difeo
At least you're guaranteed a huge game!

True! Would like England,it'd be really interesting to see the outcome.
I'll give you a chance to take that back, sir.

I'll give you a chance to watch these:

Original post by Manchester United
I'll give you a chance to watch these:

I watched the first 30 seconds and then realised that I'm watching a Chris Smalling montage and life's too short.

Quick Reply

Latest