The Student Room Group

55 academics have opposed Corbyn

In the FT today.

Just wanted Corbynites to realise they do not have the full support of the academic world.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Said this would happen in the other thread. Whilst those headlines about business's/economists/accountants/mymatefromthepub supporting x candidate are interesting, it never takes long for the other side to present an identical version.
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
Said this would happen in the other thread. Whilst those headlines about business's/economists/accountants/mymatefromthepub supporting x candidate are interesting, it never takes long for the other side to present an identical version.

Exactly. No doubt this thread will go ignored by his supporters.
Original post by ibzombie96
Exactly. No doubt this thread will go ignored by his supporters.

There'll be plenty of ad-homs against those who oppose him, I'm sure.
Reply 4
Original post by Skip_Snip
There'll be plenty of ad-homs against those who oppose him, I'm sure.

Yup. http://politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/09/02/jeremy-corbyn-s-supporters-risk-undermining-their-own-cause
In the FT today.

Just wanted Corbynites to realise they do not have the full support of the academic world.

Link?
The FT doesn't support Jeremy Corbyn. Next you'll be telling me Scousers hate Manchester United and that dogs and cats don't always get on together.
Reply 7
Corbyn can and will raise a lot of tax, it just depends on whether people will stay put to pay the tax. My guess is no.
I wouldn't go as far and say he'll raise 120 billion. I'd say half of that at most. He can claw back a lot of money through cuts to business subsidies.

And then the effects of raising corporation tax especially with quite hefty minimum wage rises seems like there's going to be a huge blowout in the low skilled private sector employment market.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I wonder if these endorsements or opposition actually sway people, its hardly a shock that you can find various people who support and oppose.

Original post by abcd1230
Corbyn can and will raise a lot of tax, it just depends on whether people will stay put to pay the tax. My guess is no.
I wouldn't go as far and say he'll raise 120 billion. I'd say half of that at most. He can claw back a lot of money through cuts to business subsidies.

And then the effects of raising corporation tax especially with quite hefty minimum wage rises seems like there's going to be a huge blowout in the low skilled private sector employment market.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably even less that that. All that will happen is that all the firms registered to pay global profits here (and then avoid it) will register globally abroad and then even if the comrade clamps down hard, they'll only have to pay the profit they make in the UK (a much smaller market).

Individuals are much more fickle so depending how high he actually goes will dictate where they go or whether they'll put up with it.
Reply 9
Original post by Rakas21
I wonder if these endorsements or opposition actually sway people, its hardly a shock that you can find various people who support and oppose.

Probably even less that that. All that will happen is that all the firms registered to pay global profits here (and then avoid it) will register globally abroad and then even if the comrade clamps down hard, they'll only have to pay the profit they make in the UK (a much smaller market).

Individuals are much more fickle so depending how high he actually goes will dictate where they go or whether they'll put up with it.

Genuinely think he's the sort of person that would charge 60% on all incomes above £45000 let alone the £150000.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abcd1230
Genuinely think he's the sort of person that would charge 60% on all incomes above £45000 let alone the £150000.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be mental. £45k isn't THAT much, so why should someone earning that have to give away more than half their money?

Why should anyone have to pay that percentage, for that matter? 40% of £100k is more than 40% of £30k. Heck, 40% of £100k is more than £30k. I don't get why higher earners should pay a higher percentage, when they're paying more anyway.
I doubt most people care about what academics have to say. Surprised that such economic parasites even have the balls to call out Corbyn on his policies
Original post by marco14196
I doubt most people care about what academics have to say. Surprised that such economic parasites even have the balls to call out Corbyn on his policies

Maybe not. But then his supporters should't use the words of academics to make him look good, either.
Original post by Skip_Snip
That would be mental. £45k isn't THAT much, so why should someone earning that have to give away more than half their money?

Why should anyone have to pay that percentage, for that matter? 40% of £100k is more than 40% of £30k. Heck, 40% of £100k is more than £30k. I don't get why higher earners should pay a higher percentage, when they're paying more anyway.

I'm not saying he'll do it but he seems like the guy who if had a free reign of everything and could do anything he wishes, would most definitely do it.

I have to disagree. I do believe there does need to be a higher rate but at 40% after £55000, 45% after £200000 and 50% after £400000

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure a lot more than 55 oppose him, and a lot more than 55 agree with him.
Original post by Bornblue
Link?

Can you honestly not look for it yourself?
Can you honestly not look for it yourself?

How absurd. If you're making a case or alleging an article the onus is on you to provide the link. Otherwise I may as well post a thread declaring ' corbyns plans endorsed by half the world' if I'm not going to bother providing a link.
How absurd. If you're making a case or alleging an article the onus is on you to provide the link. Otherwise I may as well post a thread declaring ' corbyns plans endorsed by half the world' if I'm not going to bother providing a link.

You're just being facetious. He clearly said "in the FT", it doesn't take much effort to go find it for yourself. This isn't a burden of truth thing, this is just being slightly lazy.

This is absolutely ridiculous. All you need to do it google '55 academics Corbyn FT'. I'm not positing an argument of my own and therefore don't need to give evidence. It's a piece of information that you can access in about 5 seconds. Complete laziness. I gave the source - literally all you need to do is google it. I'm sure if I do provide the link you'll complain I haven't jumped out of your computer screen to click on the link for you.
This is absolutely ridiculous. All you need to do it google '55 academics Corbyn FT'. I'm not positing an argument of my own and therefore don't need to give evidence. It's a piece of information that you can access in about 5 seconds. Complete laziness. I gave the source - literally all you need to do is google it. I'm sure if I do provide the link you'll complain I haven't jumped out of your computer screen to click on the link for you.

Because it would have taken you so long to put the link to the source in. It's your thread, you provide the source and link. How petty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending