The Student Room Group

How hard is an IELTS test for a native english speaker

Because I don't have a B grade in GCSE english language which some universities want I have to take an IELTS test in place of it and I need 7 in the IELTS test with at least a 6 in each component. To be clear English is my native language and I have lived in London all my life. Basically how hard would that be for me to achieve bearing in my mind my grammar and punctuation are not amazing (although not horrific) and it was enough to get two A*s in economics and politics both essay subjects.

Thank you.
Original post by Perplexing Pleb
Because I don't have a B grade in GCSE english language which some universities want I have to take an IELTS test in place of it and I need 7 in the IELTS test with at least a 6 in each component. To be clear English is my native language and I have lived in London all my life. Basically how hard would that be for me to achieve bearing in my mind my grammar and punctuation are not amazing (although not horrific) and it was enough to get two A*s in economics and politics both essay subjects.

Thank you.

The best way to find out is to assess it for yourself; only you can know what you find difficult. Just google "IELTS sample test", or go here: http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_sample.aspx
Reply 2
There are plenty of IELTS books which give past exam papers. I would definitely recommend you invest in such a book, do the past exams, this will give you a good idea on exam format and techniques.

Thank you.

Let me first introduce myself.

I am not native speaker and I never studied English under supervision. I never received help. I never attended lessons. I am self thought.

I met natives doing IELTS when I went to take my IELTS. They said it is not easy for them at all. Well, the people I met said that. I don't know is it valid for every native speaker.

IELTS is more expensive to take, also time taking. Longer and more complicated than GCSE.

I went recently to take GCSC and IELTS. IELTS is definitely harder imo. If you need it for uni, then you will need to cover the Academic version of IELTS. I paid £200 for it (if you book it in advance enough you can choose sometimes the cheapest time and place, £150. Also you DO need to know very well the rules and requirements. If you don't know them, you just don't get the points and you fail to cover the expectations even you are good in English.

I went to British Council for preparation and I was kind of happy. Preparation lessons are paid too. I paid something like £200 for 4 lessons. Also some people need much more preparation and then the price to pay gets higher of course. Depends on how familiar you are with the language and your confidence in it.

IELTS is a combination of 4 bands: reading, writing, listening and speaking. The exam takes nearly 4 hours for the first 3 bands and then 1/2 hour session for speaking. Each band has a minimum to be covered. If you fail, you don't get the money back.

It took 3 months for me to prepare and take the exam. I covered final result of 7.5 which is probably pretty high considering the maximum possible result is 9.0. That is a very optimistic evaluation because for some people it takes years.

May be you still have time to re-do your GCSC.

Good luck :smile:

PSS: may be that thread can help you too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3547561

I first wrote to this guy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks a lot for your replies

From what you guys have written especially Alex I have gained the impression the test isn't maybe as easy as I thought it was. But as you guys said I looked at the sample tests and they didn't look especially difficult. I even did some of the sample questions. The reading was easy and the only way I could make a mistake was simply by skimming things. The listening again was easy and the only way I would have got something wrong is by daydreaming. The speaking was seemed very easy it was just conversation. Yet the writing seemed a little harder and i will probably need to sharpen my grammar and spelling as well as learning some more obscure words.

Once again thanks a lot for your replies I probably wouldn't have bothered looking into the test as much without them.

Two question though, are the listening recording repeated to you during the exam or do you only get to hear them once and is it possible to do this exam in a typed format which is what i do for my exams.
I have gained the impression the test isn't maybe as easy as I thought it was.

Two question though, are the listening recording repeated to you during the exam or do you only get to hear them once and is it possible to do this exam in a typed format which is what i do for my exams.

I thought they were easy but then I'm not taking it and I learned my English when it was taught properly.

I can't answer your two new questions, which call for experience of taking the tests.
Reply 6
Not quite hard, i'm not a native speaker tho, just beware of the listening test, it screws because of the person speaking might be faking an accent and sometimes they do fake it badly
Original post by Doormatt
Not quite hard, i'm not a native speaker tho, just beware of the listening test, it screws because of the person speaking might be faking an accent and sometimes they do fake it badly

Thanks for your reply

When you did the listening test did they repeat what was said or did you only get one chance to listen to it.
Thanks for your reply

When you did the listening test did they repeat what was said or did you only get one chance to listen to it.

Only once of course.

It is pretty slow, but it is long and you have to catch the details and to make up the story in your mind, and at the same time to write and manage your answers.

Out of the listening time you don't have extra time for transferring the answers or thinking what was what.

It sound ok if you are fresh, but at the second hour sitting on your bottom it starts being really tough. Hours like that and at the end you cannot pronounce your own name. Speaking test is still waiting for you. Long queues, hundreds of people like you, everybody checked by name and finger printed.

You are supposed to be checked and video recorded too. Don't do stupidities. Than all the test wouldn't be accepted and assessed.

Oh now I read the full thread.

Don't believe it is easy. Every time you believe it is easy you will underestimate something.

Which is not your goal of course.

Take it as a challenge and show your best, you do need good results. That is the proper attitude. Don't listen people neglecting the language and then failing.

Also, you wouldn't gain a lot by learning smart words and tricks. Keep it simple and stylish, that respects them more. Believe me, the examiners saw many like you to try tricks.

They don't want to see tricks and games, they want to see you are comfortable and confident in your language.

Also, mistakes take off your points. Avoid mistakes. That is why when you keep it simple you will make it easier for yourself.

The examiners told me they saw many people being arrogant in their expectations. As example journalists with many years practice of the language cannot make even 5 or 6 on each band...imagine it .....or professional writers ....you know, creative wri9ting etc....fail totally...because they believe they have to show something hm...special....

No, just keep it up in your own style and simple. Avoid any complications and trials to impress. You will see how any second is valuable and it matters. make it to matter and to work for you.

I can see how you write, you will take the test, just believe in yourself. Be confident and happy, smile, be friendly and nice.

That works, believe me.

PS: and don't forget to learn the requirements - most of the natives fail for not knowing the requirements, not because they don't speak their own language.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alex9999999999
Only once of course.

It is pretty slow, but it is long and you have to catch the details and to make up the story in your mind, and at the same time to write and manage your answers.

Out of the listening time you don't have extra time for transferring the answers or thinking what was what.

It sound ok if you are fresh, but at the second hour sitting on your bottom it starts being really tough. Hours like that and at the end you cannot pronounce your own name. Speaking test is still waiting for you. Long queues, hundreds of people like you, everybody checked by name and finger printed.

You are supposed to be checked and video recorded too. Don't do stupidities. Than all the test wouldn't be accepted and assessed.

Thanks for taking your time to answer in detail.

That's what I am a bit afraid of, in the practice when i got a bit bored and didn't pay attention I didn't hear what the guy was saying and couldn't answer it. Although in exam conditions and not in my bedroom im sure ill be a lot more focused.

I have sat some fairly long exams so hopefully I wont lose my focus to easily and as a native speaker the speaking test should be fairly relaxed for me.

Yeah I wouldn't bother trying to cheat it's unlikely to end well.
Thanks for taking your time to answer in detail.

That's what I am a bit afraid of, in the practice when i got a bit bored and didn't pay attention I didn't hear what the guy was saying and couldn't answer it. Although in exam conditions and not in my bedroom im sure ill be a lot more focused.

I have sat some fairly long exams so hopefully I wont lose my focus to easily and as a native speaker the speaking test should be fairly relaxed for me.

Yeah I wouldn't bother trying to cheat it's unlikely to end well.

Good luck, that is the proper attitude :smile:
Reply 11
Got a 7.5 at IELTS in the first take.
English is my second language and all I did to revise was to start a week before the exam.
Basically it went like spending most time watching YouTube videos on English tips and then on the final night before the exam, assessing myself using the free revision material provided on the IELTS website :smile:
Just take it easy, don't stress about it, do some reading here and there and you're good to go.

Quick Reply