The Student Room Group

Urgent advice I'm going to get kicked out life advice needed please

I'm going to get kicked out my home. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Background info:

I have mental health issues which mean that I struggled with first year of university. I have resits which I am potentially going to fail.

The mental health issues are documented and my university is aware of them. And I can submit more evidence before I sit the exams.

But I have a feeling that they are going to kick me out when I fail these first year resits. (I have struggled to revise for them and I have a few days before them so I can cram and maybe pass) Or they will make me resit first year (which I am fine with, but I'm not sure if that is even possible)

Or somehow I can change course?? After being required to withdraw (Has anyone done this?????)

My issues are this: If I get kicked out uni living at home will be unbearable (parents are incredibly abusive) and have threatened to kick me out. (They have promised I will not live with them)

So this is my scenario:
kicked out of uni, kicked out of home- What do I do??? Where do I live? And what can I do??

My university is far from home and I get treatment in another region? (post code lottery with mental health)

I was thinking I get a job- I will work anywhere- and in the past I have worked the worst jobs so I don't care. (which city??) what if I don't get a job? (I've always been lucky at getting jobs but they've never been urgent like now)

I rent a bedsit (which city??)

What happens with student finance?? If I've used a year? When am I no longer able to get student finance say if I have to take 2 years out of education??

Will I still be able to apply to university if I take 2 years out post a level?? What are my career prospects? I wanted to do a health course medicine etc but I'd have to do a graduate entry and after a number of years of saving and there's no 100% guarantee that I would even get in.

I am so screwed essentially. Help me
What are you studying currently?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It really seems that I have to cram as hard as I can and pass these exams because my future depends on them.
Reply 3
Original post by lledrith
What are you studying currently?

Posted from TSR Mobile

chemistry
Reply 4
I think I need encouragement/ hope. that people have passed first year with few days of revision?? Like that's it. I'm having a break down. I'm not dumb. I can cram but so much hinges on these exams
In regards to your worst case scenario, this is from the TSR guide in regards to finance when dropping out:

"You must also bear in mind that any student finance you have received already will affect the finance you can receive for future years of study. No matter when you drop out of your course, be it after two weeks or two weeks short of the end of the year, it counts as an entire year in terms of funding entitlement."

So if you were to drop out and start something new, you'd only be entitled to 2 years of funding.

Taking a year out or even leaving to do a different course will also not ruin your life or prospects if you need time to focus on your mental health. There are plenty of students who go into a degree and then realise it isn't for them/need time away for various reasons.

Nobody here can really tell you whether or not cramming for a few days will work, but I do wish you luck in that regard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by lledrith
In regards to your worst case scenario, this is from the TSR guide in regards to finance when dropping out:

"You must also bear in mind that any student finance you have received already will affect the finance you can receive for future years of study. No matter when you drop out of your course, be it after two weeks or two weeks short of the end of the year, it counts as an entire year in terms of funding entitlement."

So if you were to drop out and start something new, you'd only be entitled to 2 years of funding.

Taking a year out or even leaving to do a different course will also not ruin your life or prospects if you need time to focus on your mental health. There are plenty of students who go into a degree and then realise it isn't for them/need time away for various reasons.

Nobody here can really tell you whether or not cramming for a few days will work, but I do wish you luck in that regard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks
Honestly, I don't have any knowledge on this topic to share, but I just wanted to wish you luck! Random, I know, but you said you needed encouragement, and I know quite a few people who have or are struggling with mental illness, and I know how hard it can be. That's all :P Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending