The Student Room Group

switch from combined contraceptive pill to mini pill

Hello, Ive been on Rigevidon for almost 2 years but have discovered some health issues, which means I have to change to the POP pill/mini pill. The copper coil is also an option but the risks of it scare me a little.

Has anyone here switched between the two and was it an easy transition? Ive been running 3 packs of combined so far and I was told to go straight to the mini pill after, (skipping my bleed AGAIN), I dont know if that will have a bad outcome.

Also, is the mini pill theoretically 'better' and 'healthier' for you as it only contains 1 hormone in lower doses? The thing that is drawing me to the coil is that there are no hormones so Id have my natural cycles back. Is the fact that some people dont bleed on the mini pill bad for you? I know its a normal symptom but does it cause a build up in your uterus/disrupt you in anyway?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

I was on rigevidon for 6 months then went to get the coil, took a bad reaction to it so only had it in for 1-2 hours but then switched to the mini pill. It was a very easy transition and I have no issues with the mini pill, I find that due to only the one hormone I'm not as moody and emotional which is great! I had to switch for health reasons too and it's the best decision I've made so far, even though I've only been on the mini pill for 4 months
Reply 2
Original post by carabroadley
I was on rigevidon for 6 months then went to get the coil, took a bad reaction to it so only had it in for 1-2 hours but then switched to the mini pill. It was a very easy transition and I have no issues with the mini pill, I find that due to only the one hormone I'm not as moody and emotional which is great! I had to switch for health reasons too and it's the best decision I've made so far, even though I've only been on the mini pill for 4 months

Glad to hear it! Yes i think if the mini pill doesn't work out for me, then I'll try the coil.
Do you have regular periods or no periods ? Also which mini pill are u taking?
Original post by Anonymous
Glad to hear it! Yes i think if the mini pill doesn't work out for me, then I'll try the coil.
Do you have regular periods or no periods ? Also which mini pill are u taking?

I'm taking Cerelle, in the first few months I would have one regular period and then spotting two weeks later, however this month I've had a normal period around the same time as every other month, but no spotting so fingers crossed this is it starting to properly settle down!
Reply 4
I'm taking Cerelle, in the first few months I would have one regular period and then spotting two weeks later, however this month I've had a normal period around the same time as every other month, but no spotting so fingers crossed this is it starting to properly settle down!

okay thank you! yeah I'm really worried i will have a never-ending period when I start it as I haven't had a period in a few months . hopefully it will work out! Do you know if its weaker/better for you than the combined pill?
okay thank you! yeah I'm really worried i will have a never-ending period when I start it as I haven't had a period in a few months . hopefully it will work out! Do you know if its weaker/better for you than the combined pill?

Some people do have a constant period, I had it with the implant but not with this pill! It's best to try 3 months of the pill so let it all settle and see how it works for you! It's just as effective as the combined pill, given that you're good at remembering to take it at the same time, just like the combined really, only difference is there's no pill free week
Reply 6
Some people do have a constant period, I had it with the implant but not with this pill! It's best to try 3 months of the pill so let it all settle and see how it works for you! It's just as effective as the combined pill, given that you're good at remembering to take it at the same time, just like the combined really, only difference is there's no pill free week

With the period, Im slightly confused because its not triggered by being on the pill-free week and having a 'fake' bleed. Are periods you have on the mini pill natural or what? bit confused why they occur if they aren't natural as the pill stops your ovulation.
oh right i heard the mini pill is slightly less effective than combined but if you are diligent at taking it you will be fine. on the plus though, rom research though it sounds a bit nicer on the body as theres less hormones involved and therefore less side effects! Do you use condoms still? (i wouldn't).
I'm not sure but I think the reason why you can still bleed is because it only contains one hormone, whereas in the combined it's two and one of them is used to control bleeding I think! I agree it does seem better for the body! Na I don't use condoms either
Reply 8
I'm not sure but I think the reason why you can still bleed is because it only contains one hormone, whereas in the combined it's two and one of them is used to control bleeding I think! I agree it does seem better for the body! Na I don't use condoms either

Went to the clinic today and they gave me zeletta. which mini pill are you on? Apparently its the same as cezerette just cheaper Iv never heard of the one she gave me. the nurse was crazy was just laughing at everything I was saying talking over me, not professional at all so she made me feel so uneasy about it! Wouldn't answer any of my questions logically.

She told me to have my withdrawal because i took 3 packets of combination together previously , and she was like what the hell?!?! you can't do that!!!!!! and then start the mini pill 4 or 5 days into my break..
Went to the clinic today and they gave me zeletta. which mini pill are you on? Apparently its the same as cezerette just cheaper Iv never heard of the one she gave me. the nurse was crazy was just laughing at everything I was saying talking over me, not professional at all so she made me feel so uneasy about it! Wouldn't answer any of my questions logically.

She told me to have my withdrawal because i took 3 packets of combination together previously , and she was like what the hell?!?! you can't do that!!!!!! and then start the mini pill 4 or 5 days into my break..

I've never heard of that pill before either! The nurse sounds really unprofessional, I wouldn't feel good about it either if that were my experience! I've heard that you shouldn't run more than 3 combined pill packets together but I'm not sure why. When I went to the clinic for the coil I had taken my rigevidon pill that morning, then after being prescribed the mini pill Cerelle I was told to take my first Cerelle pill the following morning, I didn't have to finish my rigevidon pack if I remember correctly, but I didn't run packets together so I'm not sure if it would have been different if I did
I've never heard of that pill before either! The nurse sounds really unprofessional, I wouldn't feel good about it either if that were my experience! I've heard that you shouldn't run more than 3 combined pill packets together but I'm not sure why. When I went to the clinic for the coil I had taken my rigevidon pill that morning, then after being prescribed the mini pill Cerelle I was told to take my first Cerelle pill the following morning, I didn't have to finish my rigevidon pack if I remember correctly, but I didn't run packets together so I'm not sure if it would have been different if I did

yeah ! my GP gave me a prescription to pick up but I haven't picked it up yet so i might go pick that up anyway and see what she would've given me. Im just confused about how to start it now!
yeah ! my GP gave me a prescription to pick up but I haven't picked it up yet so i might go pick that up anyway and see what she would've given me. Im just confused about how to start it now!

When you go to pick up your prescription you should ask the pharmacist, I'm sure they'd be able to help you
When you go to pick up your prescription you should ask the pharmacist, I'm sure they'd be able to help you

I did exactly that! The pharmacist gave me cezerette (thank god-is that what u r on?) and she also told me that I should just go straight onto the mini pill!
oh wait just realised you said cerelle !
I did exactly that! The pharmacist gave me cezerette (thank god-is that what u r on?) and she also told me that I should just go straight onto the mini pill!

That's good they gave you the right advice! I hope it all works out for you!!
I've been on the combined pill for three years, since I was 18.
Before going on the combined pill, I had regular but very heavy periods- the first few days were debilitating. The draw of the combined pill was the control- I could run two or three packs together and know when I was due to have a period- however periods were still heavy and debilitating but it would only be every two or three months.
I was advised to change packs three times- microgynon, femodene and then lizinna.
At first I had low moods and would get emotional for no reason, so I changed to femodene and then after a year, I had depression and an anxiety disorder and then after shortly changing to lizinna and copious amounts of behavioural therapy, the depression went but I had awful migraines- so bad that I collapsed, had nosebleeds and needed an ambulance!
Over the three years, I have put on three stone in weight too and am still trying to overcome anxiety. I was advised to stop the combined pill immediately due to a risk of stroke.
I stopped the combined pill on Thursday and so am in the break. I have a choice of going on the mini pill or stopping altogether and being natural and I only have a few days to decide. I just don't know if it's worth pumping my body with chemicals, which i am obviously sensitive too. I'm not suggesting that the combined pill was totally to blame for the symptoms I have had over the past year, but the doctor thinks they have played a significant part.
Reply 16
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice. I have been reading this thread looking for hope really. Basically I have been on he combined pill for several years. I have had a couple of migraines in that time (not sure if it's related to the Pill) but now my gp has now taken me off the combined and changing me to the mini pill Cerrelle. I'm really worried as the combined works so well for me. I went onto the combined pill due to heavy periods. I'm so worry that now I'm switching Pills I'm going to be heavy and all over the place again and painful again. I'm a little confused how it works without the pill free week as how do you have a period of you are taking pills all month. I'm really worried about changing so any advice or experiences would be great.
Original post by Liz1989
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice. I have been reading this thread looking for hope really. Basically I have been on he combined pill for several years. I have had a couple of migraines in that time (not sure if it's related to the Pill) but now my gp has now taken me off the combined and changing me to the mini pill Cerrelle. I'm really worried as the combined works so well for me. I went onto the combined pill due to heavy periods. I'm so worry that now I'm switching Pills I'm going to be heavy and all over the place again and painful again. I'm a little confused how it works without the pill free week as how do you have a period of you are taking pills all month. I'm really worried about changing so any advice or experiences would be great.

Hi I am the thread started and was also anxious bout switching from the combined to mini pill as the combined worked really well for me! I was also sceptical about not having a pill free week and taking hormones continuously, but my GP said it is 'better' for you as you are only taking 1 hormone not 2. Its the only downside of the pill as you can't monitor your periods and they will either be regular, sporadic, or, if your lucky, not any at all!
My experience: when i switched pills it was just before what would have been my pill free week, and my period was normal 7 days as would have been on the combined pill. however, my next period a month later was crazy, 3 weeks long, really heavy. This really worried me as I thought it would constantly be like this and it made me really down. I was advised to hold out for 3 months and that was the right thing to do. I didn't have another period after that which is great! However, i do have slight worries that it could be cos I'm pregnant, but i haven't gone round to taking a test cos i know thats probably not the case. my state of mind feels exactly the same as it did on the combined pill as you aren't changing hormones, you are just taking one away. hope this helps
Reply 18
Hi I am the thread started and was also anxious bout switching from the combined to mini pill as the combined worked really well for me! I was also sceptical about not having a pill free week and taking hormones continuously, but my GP said it is 'better' for you as you are only taking 1 hormone not 2. Its the only downside of the pill as you can't monitor your periods and they will either be regular, sporadic, or, if your lucky, not any at all!
My experience: when i switched pills it was just before what would have been my pill free week, and my period was normal 7 days as would have been on the combined pill. however, my next period a month later was crazy, 3 weeks long, really heavy. This really worried me as I thought it would constantly be like this and it made me really down. I was advised to hold out for 3 months and that was the right thing to do. I didn't have another period after that which is great! However, i do have slight worries that it could be cos I'm pregnant, but i haven't gone round to taking a test cos i know thats probably not the case. my state of mind feels exactly the same as it did on the combined pill as you aren't changing hormones, you are just taking one away. hope this helps

Hi, thank you for your quick reply. Can i ask how long you have been on Cerrelle for now? how are you doing with it? are you regular/light/heavy/all over the place? My GP has given me 3 months worth of Cerrelle. It was the one migraine that gave her the decision to switch me. I really do like the routine of the combined pill and knowing when my period is coming. I think its that thats really worrying me and of course back to me all over the place and heavy. The COIL and Implant were mentioned but im not sure thats a route i want to go down just yet. im glad to hear your state of mind hasnt changed. i have heard all sorts of stories with this mini pill (spots galore, horrible completxtion, crying, angry, every emotion and all over the place really). I have been told to start these as soon as i finish my combined pills (so start the mini on my pill free week) Heavy bleeding for that long must have been horrible for you. Did you start roughly the same time as you would have on the combined? Are you roughly the same time each month now?

Thanks again for your help :-)
Original post by Liz1989
Hi, thank you for your quick reply. Can i ask how long you have been on Cerrelle for now? how are you doing with it? are you regular/light/heavy/all over the place? My GP has given me 3 months worth of Cerrelle. It was the one migraine that gave her the decision to switch me. I really do like the routine of the combined pill and knowing when my period is coming. I think its that thats really worrying me and of course back to me all over the place and heavy. The COIL and Implant were mentioned but im not sure thats a route i want to go down just yet. im glad to hear your state of mind hasnt changed. i have heard all sorts of stories with this mini pill (spots galore, horrible completxtion, crying, angry, every emotion and all over the place really). I have been told to start these as soon as i finish my combined pills (so start the mini on my pill free week) Heavy bleeding for that long must have been horrible for you. Did you start roughly the same time as you would have on the combined? Are you roughly the same time each month now?

Thanks again for your help :-)

iv been on it since september. i started the new pill the day my weekly break would have been, and had a normal perio (the same timing as my week off bleed would have been) I then had a horrible 3 week period the next month in october. I haven't any periods since, which is normal as a lot of women dont have any periods at all on this pill. some women also have regular periods every month. I'm doing absolutely fine with it now, but like you id prefer to have monitored periods. The only way you will know how your periods will be is if you give it a chance really- you need to give it 3 months to see how it will work with you. Progesterone is a hormone that is meant to stop your periods so in theory you shouldnt experience heavier bleeding.

Dont listen to the horror stories, people who go online are usually those who are experiencing issues. millions take the mini pill with no problems at all, my GP said its her favourite pill out there. Im a huge hypochondriac myself and before i started mini pill id just read the horrible reviews and scared myself, but turns out its been absolutely fine. only way you will know if it works for you is if you try!

Quick Reply

Latest