The Student Room Group

Queen's Belfast Medicine 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lightingspeed
Hey, I was wondering how is teaching like? Do you have exams throughout the year or is it more intermitted? Are exams mostly MCQ or is it more SAQ/essay? Finally what is the QUB medics reaction to the proposed new Junior doctor contracts? Thanks :smile:

Teaching changes drastically from Phase 1 (September --> January) to Phase 2 (January 1st year to end of 2nd year)

Lectures are the basis of learning, QUB IS NOT a PBL course, so standard days are 9-5. Usually lectures, with a tutorial once a week or so.

In 1st year, you do Anatomy on Wednesdays, be that the dissection room and then histology (microscopic cell examination, which, is dull at the time but actually SOOOO important in 3rd year)

Teaching is obviously mixed, some great lecturers, some less so, you will realise this later on, teaching gets much better in 2nd and 3rd year, as the academics who take it enjoy teaching later on (think graduating with a Maths degree and teaching the multiplication tables to p1s, versus teaching upper sixth)

So, you get bad and good lectures, but it is strongly advised you attend them all still. It's a pretty basic, important (but a bit dull) introduction in Phase 1, spiced up with Anatomy and Physiology Lab practicals. As a general rule, in Phase 1 it's a bit slow (more free time, basic biology A level teaching)

Then it gets better, you will learn Practical Skills in CSEC after January, plus you will start to do actual medical stuff, Anatomy (muscles, vessels) Physiology (how your body ticks) Pharmacology (Treatments) and Clinical Skills.

You do 3 written Jan papers and 1 practical station (histology) dotted with one piece of coursework. End of the year more like 5 exams, plus a clinical, plus an anatomy test (what is this organ?)

So, exams in Jan and May/June 1st year and 2nd year

Mostly essay, except Physiology (MCQ) plus CSEC clinical (like your interview) plus the spot the muscle/vessel/organ Anatomy. In Jan they are all written essay with perhaps the first 10Qs MCQ, plus the histology.

Disgust, of course, it hasn't hit home as much as in England (where they've been implemented, we're still technically unknown) but still, people like myself were outside City Hall on Saturday.

http://www.u.tv/News/2015/10/17/Hundreds-protest-over-junior-doctor-contracts-47143?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Original post by That Bearded Man
Teaching changes drastically from Phase 1 (September --> January) to Phase 2 (January 1st year to end of 2nd year)

Lectures are the basis of learning, QUB IS NOT a PBL course, so standard days are 9-5. Usually lectures, with a tutorial once a week or so.

In 1st year, you do Anatomy on Wednesdays, be that the dissection room and then histology (microscopic cell examination, which, is dull at the time but actually SOOOO important in 3rd year)

Teaching is obviously mixed, some great lecturers, some less so, you will realise this later on, teaching gets much better in 2nd and 3rd year, as the academics who take it enjoy teaching later on (think graduating with a Maths degree and teaching the multiplication tables to p1s, versus teaching upper sixth)

So, you get bad and good lectures, but it is strongly advised you attend them all still. It's a pretty basic, important (but a bit dull) introduction in Phase 1, spiced up with Anatomy and Physiology Lab practicals. As a general rule, in Phase 1 it's a bit slow (more free time, basic biology A level teaching)

Then it gets better, you will learn Practical Skills in CSEC after January, plus you will start to do actual medical stuff, Anatomy (muscles, vessels) Physiology (how your body ticks) Pharmacology (Treatments) and Clinical Skills.

You do 3 written Jan papers and 1 practical station (histology) dotted with one piece of coursework. End of the year more like 5 exams, plus a clinical, plus an anatomy test (what is this organ?)

So, exams in Jan and May/June 1st year and 2nd year

Mostly essay, except Physiology (MCQ) plus CSEC clinical (like your interview) plus the spot the muscle/vessel/organ Anatomy. In Jan they are all written essay with perhaps the first 10Qs MCQ, plus the histology.

Disgust, of course, it hasn't hit home as much as in England (where they've been implemented, we're still technically unknown) but still, people like myself were outside City Hall on Saturday.

http://www.u.tv/News/2015/10/17/Hundreds-protest-over-junior-doctor-contracts-47143?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thanks for the very detailed reply! I'm applying from England and hopefully would love to back there. Is this common amongst english students?
Thanks for the very detailed reply! I'm applying from England and hopefully would love to back there. Is this common amongst english students?

Aye it is, loads of people want to go back and work home locally. No surprise there at all.
Okay, firstly I am from Northern Ireland, hence it is my "local" which was hugely relevant as a home bird. My UKCAT was above average, which kind of settled it.

The home part is very valid, if you are staying in accomodation you will notice this, however Elms go out of their way to network students who stay up weekends, so they do run events over the weekend and do movie nights etc. for students who stay up.

Off the top of my head, there are some. Medicine has loads of societies, we run a choir, QUB Trad do traditional Irish music, there are dancing societies and students often sign on to QUB Radio for music.

TBH, everyone joins everything, then usually by 2nd year people stick with 2/3 societes, for QUB med that usually means BMSA (who organise the nights out, dinners etc.) Scrubs (the academic and surgical society, I'm treasurer) and one other.

Thank you so much for your reply, it's so useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am international IB student, applying 2016 intake. my Ukcat isn't great, avg 600. I am applying with 40 points, I have work experience, lots of extra-curricular, leadership, sports, etc. do I have chance to get an interview? Would anyone like to shade a light on this?
just want to thank you @The Bearded Man for your detailed answer. It was very useful
Original post by sushilkumar
I am international IB student, applying 2016 intake. my Ukcat isn't great, avg 600. I am applying with 40 points, I have work experience, lots of extra-curricular, leadership, sports, etc. do I have chance to get an interview? Would anyone like to shade a light on this?

They use a cutoff, with 40/42 which is very high I would think you are likely for interview with that point. I don't know the previous cutoffs, maybe someone could enlighten me?
Thank u bro
R u student of Queens or u r also international student like me.
R u student of Queens or u r also international student like me.

I am an applicant (home).
Thanks for info. I was wondering about safety and security out there. This will be first time I will be away from my family. I understand it is great place to live and study. Just hoping to get interview. When r we likely to hear from them? Any tips on MMI if u have. Wishing u best of luck. Take care.
Thanks for info. I was wondering about safety and security out there. This will be first time I will be away from my family. I understand it is great place to live and study. Just hoping to get interview. When r we likely to hear from them? Any tips on MMI if u have. Wishing u best of luck. Take care.

I don't know when we will hear back, MMI info in the website should be of some help (there is a video too!).

If we could offer just one tip on MMIs it would be this:

Don't let one bad station impact the rest of your performance. Treat each task independently and start afresh each time.

If you want more tips, though, you could try this blog!

TMP
Original post by The Medic Portal
If we could offer just one tip on MMIs it would be this:

Don't let one bad station impact the rest of your performance. Treat each task independently and start afresh each time.

If you want more tips, though, you could try this blog!

TMP

Great, thanks for the link and tip, Now, I must, practice, practice & practice.
They use a cutoff, with 40/42 which is very high I would think you are likely for interview with that point. I don't know the previous cutoffs, maybe someone could enlighten me?

Last year it was 38 and the year before 37. General view is 38 gets you an interview.

The scoring system does not work for us internationals. They look at our application as a whole according to the email they sent us. I wish they used the scoring system too :/ 41/42
Original post by JoySeeker
The scoring system does not work for us internationals. They look at our application as a whole according to the email they sent us. I wish they used the scoring system too :/ 41/42

I see, well good luck otherwise!
Hi folks, just to drop in that I'm a 3rd year at QUB at the minute, and if you have any specific queries for QUB Medicine, give me a quote.

TBM

Do you know what the cut off score is this year?
Reply 58
Original post by Annabel Mckee
Do you know what the cut off score is this year?

No one will know this years score until they finish completing the admission cycle - it all depends on the scores of the applicants each year. Last year you needed a cut off of 38, the year before (possibly even the last few years) you needed 37.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So does anyone know when we will hear back?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending