The Student Room Group

Queen's Belfast Medicine 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by Forevertired86
Can I ask if there are any mature students doing medicine at QUB as graduate entry? By mature I mean 30 :frown: feeling very old! Considering graduate entry medicine in mainland for the 4 year course but also contemplating applying for queens next year even though it's 5 years, I think I'd like to stay at home.

I'm in first year currently and trust me about 30% of us firsties are graduates! There are definitely people in and around their 30s, medicine is quite incestuous and by the end of 1st semester everyone is great friends no matter what age you are. Some people are even getting married or have got married and it's awesome, I couldn't imagine medicine without you older guys there, i would hate to go to a uni where they offer a 4 year course for graduates!
Original post by vicmed
I'm in first year currently and trust me about 30% of us firsties are graduates! There are definitely people in and around their 30s, medicine is quite incestuous and by the end of 1st semester everyone is great friends no matter what age you are. Some people are even getting married or have got married and it's awesome, I couldn't imagine medicine without you older guys there, i would hate to go to a uni where they offer a 4 year course for graduates!

Yep, and from the offer holder's Facebook group, there are a lot of graduates and gap year students this year.
And I definitely agree with you there. There's about a third of school leavers/gap yearers/graduates. Plus, no one would know you're 30 to be honest if you don't say, plus everyone just blends in and gets on with everyone else anyway :')
Original post by vicmed

Say, how are you finding second semester? I'm totally panicking and missed this morning's CPP lecture lol
Original post by em111
Any reviews on what it's like living in the Elms? What's the best room to choose,etc. ?

Elms is quite far from the MBC to be honest, but it has good security (you can't get in after 11pm if you don't have your keyfob and student card with you) and generally, pretty good social events as well. But if I can choose again I'd choose College gardens because it's so much closer. I thought Elms would be good for the social aspect, which it is but it's not worth the 20 mins of walk every morning....
Reply 745
Original post by LovePiano
Say, how are you finding second semester? I'm totally panicking and missed this morning's CPP lecture lol

I'm panicking too. I'm so stressed. I'm so tired. I think I'm getting about 4/5 hours a sleep a night 😩
To be honest you didn't miss much hahaha it was all these finance terms and stuff...
i havnt even done any revision today I'm far too tired :frown:
Original post by vicmed
I'm panicking too. I'm so stressed. I'm so tired. I think I'm getting about 4/5 hours a sleep a night 😩
To be honest you didn't miss much hahaha it was all these finance terms and stuff...
i havnt even done any revision today I'm far too tired :frown:

Wow are you revising til like 3am then? That's definitely much more than I do so I don't think you should panic haha! You have the weekend anyway ^_^
Reply 747
Original post by LovePiano
Wow are you revising til like 3am then? That's definitely much more than I do so I don't think you should panic haha! You have the weekend anyway ^_^

It's because I start at 8/9 every night, and then each lecture is taking a good 2 hours 😩 4 weeks until summer though
Original post by vicmed
it's because i start at 8/9 every night, and then each lecture is taking a good 2 hours 😩 4 weeks until summer though

i can't wait!! XD
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm having a look at places near the MBC and uni but I don't know the area well enough to decide. I think I'll have a look at the Fb group?
Any current QUB medicine students can tell me about placements in 3rd/4th/5th year? I think there are about 7 or 8 teaching hospitals but only four in Belfast - how do they allocate your placement - particularly the 13 week one in 3rd year. Really don't fancy being sent out of Belfast in my 3rd at Uni.
Hi is there an offer holder group where we can join like Facebook? Thank you! :smile:
Reply 752
Original post by searchingsazza
Any current QUB medicine students can tell me about placements in 3rd/4th/5th year? I think there are about 7 or 8 teaching hospitals but only four in Belfast - how do they allocate your placement - particularly the 13 week one in 3rd year. Really don't fancy being sent out of Belfast in my 3rd at Uni.

Really sorry but everyone is going to have placements out of Belfast, I have one about 40min drive away in 1st year atm
3rd year you will definitely have one out of Belfast, guaranteed
Reply 753
Also a general comment to everyone- they've changed the course structure for you guys next year. There will be no January exams, and you'll have "long thin" modules instead. So what we're doing now will be integrated with another module in first semester to make one long module you do throughout the entire year, with exams in June
Reply 754
Original post by booboopie
Hi is there an offer holder group where we can join like Facebook? Thank you! :smile:

Yes, here's a link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1554037724893723/

:smile:
Reply 755
Is anybody still waiting to hear back from QUB regarding feedback? I emailed them weeks ago and have still not heard back
Original post by searchingsazza

It's random draw, every student gets at least half the year in Belfast and students are allowed to swap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coolrocket22
Yep, and from the offer holder's Facebook group, there are a lot of graduates and gap year students this year.

Thanks so much for the replies! I wish QUB offered GEM. I would love to remain in NI and study at Queens again, it is the funding scares me, 4 years seems daunting enough never mind 5 years - but now I know there are other 'older' students it is a new option :smile:
may i ask what is the closest accomodation option for medical students?
Reply 759
Original post by Xuanping
may i ask what is the closest accomodation option for medical students?

College gardens for sure, but it's not very big in terms of how many students it can take, it's just two big houses. Maybe about 20 people live there in total? Not sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending