The Student Room Group

Queen's Belfast Medicine 2016 Entry

Hey guys,

So who's applying for 2016 entry?

It would be great if anyone has any useful information from previous years of applying, interview, pros and- if any - cons, and just generally what the university is like!

I phoned the other day and found out the threshold for 2015 entry was 37 points.

I am an undergraduate student of Anatomy and Physiology in my last year, so applying as a graduate. I quiet like how they assess the applicants as it benefits me with good academics and average ukcat score!

Look forward to hearing how others are getting on, and good luck to everyone considering applying!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'll definitely be applying as, as long as their UKCAT points boundaries stay the same this year, I score full points so should be guaranteed an interview (possibly my only one!)
Reply 2
I am definitely applying also as I have family there and after visiting I really like the uni and course! I have 40/42 points so hopefully I should get an interview (fingers crossed) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I was GOING to based on the lower int app:tongue:lace ratio but since they place so much emphasis on GCSEs :frown: Wish my school didn't do em.
That great to hear guys, and yeah I first started looking in to queens due to the low app to place ratio. But I think that's because I you can't reapply there in certain conditions and also cuz you can pretty much assess if you are gonna get an interview or not from information on their website.

What was the uni like for those that visited? Any outstanding features ?

They are making changes to ukcat assessment this year for 2016 entry but not sure how they are Changing it, as far as I know anyway.

Where else are you guys considering applying 😆
Original post by ArifRahman63
That great to hear guys, and yeah I first started looking in to queens due to the low app to place ratio. But I think that's because I you can't reapply there in certain conditions and also cuz you can pretty much assess if you are gonna get an interview or not from information on their website.

What was the uni like for those that visited? Any outstanding features ?

They are making changes to ukcat assessment this year for 2016 entry but not sure how they are Changing it, as far as I know anyway.

Where else are you guys considering applying 😆

I thought there was no changes to UKCAT assessment this year for 2016 entry.

"UKCAT has introduced a fifth paper called a Situational Judgement Test, but it hasbeen agreed that the results of this will not be used for 2016 entry except, if necessary,to inform decisions on borderline applicants who have achieved a similar score atinterview.The current scoring system for UKCAT will be reviewed for 2017 entry. "
Original post by Timewilltellu
I thought there was no changes to UKCAT assessment this year for 2016 entry.

"UKCAT has introduced a fifth paper called a Situational Judgement Test, but it hasbeen agreed that the results of this will not be used for 2016 entry except, if necessary,to inform decisions on borderline applicants who have achieved a similar score atinterview.The current scoring system for UKCAT will be reviewed for 2017 entry. "

hey, I think you are correct! I just re-read the admissions policy and yeah they will review it in 2017 entry and not 2016 :smile: so thanks for that, how are you getting on with your application?
Reply 7
Hey guys, I'm planning to apply to Queen's undergrad too but I'm an international student. Are intl students ranked according to the points system also?
Anyone know whether if you applied to medicine as a school leaver having not applied to belfast and are now applying as a graduate if its a problem not having applied to belfast first time around? The admissions statement is clear for applying as an undergrad twice or as a graduate twice, but unclear as an undergrad then as a grad. I even phoned up admissions and they didn't seem to know so said to email, have emailed and got an automated response saying they get so many emails it may take a while to apply..
hey guys, I'm pretty sure I'll be applying here :smile:
I'm applying here!
Original post by stephannalee
Anyone know whether if you applied to medicine as a school leaver having not applied to belfast and are now applying as a graduate if its a problem not having applied to belfast first time around? The admissions statement is clear for applying as an undergrad twice or as a graduate twice, but unclear as an undergrad then as a grad. I even phoned up admissions and they didn't seem to know so said to email, have emailed and got an automated response saying they get so many emails it may take a while to apply..

Hey, let me know if you find out please :smile:
I'm applying here! 40/42 so hopefully will get an interview.
That great to hear! I'm thinking for graduates, almost everyone will have made the cut off for interview, the difficulty will be in out performing other graduates in obtaining a place, as there are probably only a set number of places for graduates.
Reply 14
Hey guys, I'm a graduate on the medical course - just started last week. There are no set places for graduates on the course. They usually take about 60 but this year they took on 80 of us.

We compete against undergrads for the approx 230 places available (about 25 places I think are for internationals).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll try and answer them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doc2be
Hey guys, I'm a graduate on the medical course - just started last week. There are no set places for graduates on the course. They usually take about 60 but this year they took on 80 of us.

We compete against undergrads for the approx 230 places available (about 25 places I think are for internationals).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll try and answer them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you enjoying the course so far? I know it's early days though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Hedwig24
How are you enjoying the course so far? I know it's early days though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really enjoying it so far! Everyone - students and staff - seem lovely so far. It's not like other courses in my opinion, everyone is enthusiastic to be there and are quite like minded. I can't say anything about the work load yet but certainly so far it's all gone really well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doc2be
I'm really enjoying it so far! Everyone - students and staff - seem lovely so far. It's not like other courses in my opinion, everyone is enthusiastic to be there and are quite like minded. I can't say anything about the work load yet but certainly so far it's all gone really well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great, it's always good to hear opinions from students studying there currently! Best of luck with medical school :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Doc2be

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many points did you get for the interview? Thank you for taking your time to respond to us, it's very helpful and thoughtful of you! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Oak16
How many points did you get for the interview? Thank you for taking your time to respond to us, it's very helpful and thoughtful of you! :smile:

Hey!

I got an interview with 40 points. I think everyone with 37/38 points was invited to interview.

It's no problem, I remember what it was like and I appreciated the input from people on the course, so felt I should give some back to you lot lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending