The Student Room Group

400,000 sign UK Parliament petition - Accept more refugees >> A NEW RECORD <<

Accept more asylum seekers.

We are all Human!

400,000 British people sign UK Parliament petition. Proud to be British!.
:cry2:

Sign: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105991

There is a global refugee crisis. Despite pictures circulating the internet of a dead 3 year old child, washed up on the Turkish sea beach. The UK is not offering proportional asylum in comparison with European counterparts. We can't allow refugees who have risked their lives to escape horrendous conflict and violence to be left living in dire, unsafe and inhumane conditions in Europe. We must help.

Parliament will now at least very likely debate it. Perhaps David Cameron might grow a heart by then. He is a disgrace to the very best of British.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

We should take some more in but not adhere to any sort of quota. We're already pumping near a billion pounds in aid to Syria in humanitarian effort so Frau Merkel can't say we're heartless over the crisis. I hope that this crisis dethrones that clown, never liked Merkel.
Reply 2
How many of them are foreigners rabid lefties in the first place. In the REAL world most people are against immigration
Reply 3
Signed, we are not full in this country and have the capacity to take at least 30,000.
nope - we've got enough people here already
the government shouldn't have taken in so many people this year already.
they should have thought about this happening before they let in so many immigrants at calais (yes, because they should have stopped it happening - it was perfectly possible yet they neglected to do anything); they knew this might be a consequence of their syrian intervention - yet they chose to ignore it and let in so many people not relating to it
(edited 8 years ago)
So the readership of the left-wing papers then?
They are all left wingers, majority of the country do not want swarms of people. Cameron knows this and he will never risk the referendum to do so. People don't want these migrants.

Most of them are not escaping war. Is there war in France? Italy? Greece? Hungary? Serbia? Poland? Finland? Spain? Portugal? Lebanon? Jordan? Tunisia? Saudi Arabia? Turkey? Most of Eastern Europe minus Ukraine? Belgium? Luxembourg?

The answer is no. They only want benefits and housing free of charge. That is why they want to go to Germany, Sweden and the UK.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Erzan
Signed, we are not full in this country and have the capacity to take at least 30,000.

The moment we take 30,000 there will be another hand-wringing petition which completely ignores that fact. Someone has to tell adult male number 30,001 we have filled our quota and he cannot come in.
If it was in an emergency, short term basis I'd be all over it, but I can't sign to allow hundreds of thousands of people into a country (which isn't my own, by the way) and completely disregard the long term consequences, I'm sorry.
It is a hard situation and I agree with Liz Kendall in that we can take 10,000 with ease. Nevertheless, we should never accept a quota. Managing the crisis by granting all that land asylum is a dangerous policy which Isis and migrants from all over the east could easily take advantage of. How many millions will come and how will Europe's infrastructure cope? Islamic assimilation has already proven difficult and I fear that a large influx will render it virtually impossible.
Original post by marco14196
We should take some more in but not adhere to any sort of quota. We're already pumping near a billion pounds in aid to Syria in humanitarian effort so Frau Merkel can't say we're heartless over the crisis. I hope that this crisis dethrones that clown, never liked Merkel.

Original post by ekmad
How many of them are foreigners rabid lefties in the first place. In the REAL world most people are against immigration

Original post by Lady Comstock
So the readership of the left-wing papers then?

Original post by The Donut Maker
They are all left wingers, majority of the country do not want swarms of people. Cameron knows this and he will never risk the referendum to do so. People don't want these migrants.

Most of them are not escaping war. Is there war in France? Italy? Greece? Hungary? Serbia? Poland? Finland? Spain? Portugal? Lebanon? Jordan? Tunisia? Saudi Arabia? Turkey? Most of Eastern Europe minus Ukraine? Belgium? Luxembourg?

The answer is no. They only want benefits and housing free of charge. That is why they want to go to Germany, Sweden and the UK.

Original post by Rakas21
I have no desire to encourage more Africans and Muslims to come here. They can head somewhere else.

Original post by Alba2013
If it was in an emergency, short term basis I'd be all over it, but I can't sign to allow hundreds of thousands of people into a country (which isn't my own, by the way) and completely disregard the long term consequences, I'm sorry.

Original post by thesabbath
The moment we take 30,000 there will be another hand-wringing petition which completely ignores that fact. Someone has to tell adult male number 30,001 we have filled our quota and he cannot come in.

So if Britain was in a state of civil war and you were facing death, you would not try crossing the English channel to France. You would tell the French government, thanks for helping the British rebels by using NATO to bomb my town. But I will stay with my friends and family to die on the streets of Britain. Sure you will. Fine. Good luck with that.
Original post by Reformed2010
So if Britain was in a state of civil war and you were facing death, you would not try crossing the English channel to France.

Yes, I would, but that's not a comparable analogy is it? This situation compares to me making a dangerous journey to Dubai and travelling through numerous safe countries because I am under the belief that Dubai is where I can make the most money and receive the richest standard of living.
So if Britain was in a state of civil war and you were facing death, you would not try crossing the English channel to France. You would tell the French government, thanks for helping the British rebels by using NATO to bomb my town. But I will stay with my friends and family to die on the streets of Britain. Sure you will. Fine. Good luck with that.

I'd be fighting people like you in the civil war, except that you'd probably have scarpered.

These swarms have already escaped war. Read my post again. Is there ******* war in France? Italy? Spain? Greece? Portugal? Turkey? Egypt? Saudi Arabia? UAE? Serbia? Hungary? Austria? Finland? Macedonia? Poland? Slovakia? Georgia? Kazakhstan? Belgium? Luxembourg? Denmark? Switzerland?

No there ******* is not. So why the **** are these swarms not settling in these stable and peaceful countries? Because they are not escaping war! They just want benefits, housing and everything from the UK, Germany and Sweden. I'll be dead before I give an ounce to them.

I remember you, you made that thread expressing your desire to convert to Islam.
I'm just glad our Government are being sensible, and not using this as a reason to fling open the borders.

If I was fleeing a civil war in Britain I would be so thankful just to get somewhere safe (in your example - France). I would not then pay some dodgy back-street thug thousands of pounds to get in the back of a lorry and then be driven through France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece and into Turkey. Where I would then protest and demand free food and housing and expect that country to pick up the tab.

Incidentally, if they had stayed and defended their country (most of the images in the pictures are of working age men, aren't they?) then the West would be less likely to have to deal with the mess that is IS. We're already spending almost £1billion on aid to Syria, we're doing plenty, why should we always be expected to fix the world's problems?
I would help but..

Why the bloody hell does the UK have to help so much and not other countries that are more nearby??

I haven't been updated recently on the news so yeah, I might be a bit off track here. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Donut Maker
These swarms have already escaped war. Read my post again. Is there ******* war in France? Italy? Spain? Greece? Portugal? Turkey? Egypt? Saudi Arabia? UAE? Serbia? Hungary? Austria? Finland? Macedonia? Poland? Slovakia? Georgia? Kazakhstan? Belgium? Luxembourg? Denmark? Switzerland?

No there ******* is not. So why the **** are these swarms not settling in these stable and peaceful countries? Because they are not escaping war! They just want benefits, housing and everything from the UK, Germany and Sweden. I'll be dead before I give an ounce to them.
We have to share the burden otherwise there would be civil unrest if 1 million go to Greece or Hungary!

Original post by Lady Comstock
Yes, I would, but that's not a comparable analogy is it? This situation compares to me making a dangerous journey to Dubai and travelling through numerous safe countries because I am under the belief that Dubai is where I can make the most money and receive the richest standard of living.
Many are staying in the countries they are landing in.

Original post by thesabbath
I'd be fighting people like you in the civil war, except that you'd probably have scarpered.
How kind.
The loud lefty minority trying to speak for the whole country as usual. The real disgrace is the rich Gulf nations not doing there fair share. They should be taking all of them in my opinion. They have unbelievable amounts of money to spend on stupid projects. They speak the same language and have a similar culture to the Syrians. They ought to be doing much more!

Double standards as usual.

Quick Reply