The Student Room Group

Not sure if I should carry on with university?

Currently going into my second year of university doing environmental earth science. I do enjoy University but I think the course isn't for me. I do find it somewhat interesting but I don't see myself doing anything with it in the future; I have no real passion for it. I feel as if I should have took a gap year after sixth form to decide what I really want to do. I initially wanted to do psychology and go into counselling (completely different from my course I know) But I decided not to, partially because the A-level course for it at my sixth form was full (I know it is not required but I thought it would help).

The course I do now is something I thought I was interested in but now I'm not too sure. Right now I feel as if I should either give this year a go, a few weeks and see how I feel about it, switch to just environmental science or drop out, get a job and see if I can apply for a counselling training course.

Any advice or experience with a similar situation will be appreciated
Well you should think about it financially. If you have two years of student finance then you should finish this degree because you'll never get another chance at uni. However if you quit now you can still do another degree for 3 years and gets full student finance. So my advice is drop out, have a gap year and reapply next year :smile: although you'll have to secure a reference when applying independantly so keep that in mind too
Reply 2
Original post by Hevachan
Well you should think about it financially. If you have two years of student finance then you should finish this degree because you'll never get another chance at uni. However if you quit now you can still do another degree for 3 years and gets full student finance. So my advice is drop out, have a gap year and reapply next year :smile: although you'll have to secure a reference when applying independantly so keep that in mind too

Thanks for the reply. You're right about thinking about it financially. I think that's the toughest part, I'm 1/3 my way through and I have secured my student finance this year already. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I start this course later in September, drop out after a few weeks and decide in the future to go back to Uni, I'll have to fund a year of it myself? I'm also going to be living in a house this year and would have to pay the full amount of it if I'm at University or not regardless, unless I get someone else to take over the tenancy agreement.
Original post by Ace Shaun
Currently going into my second year of university doing environmental earth science. I do enjoy University but I think the course isn't for me. I do find it somewhat interesting but I don't see myself doing anything with it in the future; I have no real passion for it. I feel as if I should have took a gap year after sixth form to decide what I really want to do. I initially wanted to do psychology and go into counselling (completely different from my course I know) But I decided not to, partially because the A-level course for it at my sixth form was full (I know it is not required but I thought it would help).

The course I do now is something I thought I was interested in but now I'm not too sure. Right now I feel as if I should either give this year a go, a few weeks and see how I feel about it, switch to just environmental science or drop out, get a job and see if I can apply for a counselling training course.

Any advice or experience with a similar situation will be appreciated

Personally I think the bottom line is, drop out of the course. If you don't have passion for it and aren't fully dedicated it to it, you won't enjoy it and it'll just get worse as time goes on.

I think you either drop out and try and switch course as soon as possible and actually do something you want to do or drop out and take a gap year and have some space for a little bit and get things on track and then go back.
Original post by Ace Shaun
Thanks for the reply. You're right about thinking about it financially. I think that's the toughest part, I'm 1/3 my way through and I have secured my student finance this year already. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I start this course later in September, drop out after a few weeks and decide in the future to go back to Uni, I'll have to fund a year of it myself? I'm also going to be living in a house this year and would have to pay the full amount of it if I'm at University or not regardless, unless I get someone else to take over the tenancy agreement.

Yes exactly, so the best thing to do is make a decision and if you decide not to go, cancel student finance straight away. Talk to your university about the chance of transferring onto another course though, that may be another possibility :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending