The Student Room Group

Feel depressed not taking up my offer at Cambridge.

My A-levels were A*A*AA. I went to a normal comprehensive as my mum didn't like grammers. When it came to applying to universties she said she won't be allowing me to go to one where i have to move out which really depressrd me as i new i was capable of attending a highly valyed instituin. However i applied regaudless. I had interviews ect. At Cambridge, St. Andrews. Got offers from both as well as my local universty which i won't name. However it's in the bottom ten. My mum is forcing me to give up the idea of Cambridge as she says it's the degree that counts not where you attended. Is this true, would i be able to have the same anount of succes going to my local uni or Cambridge? This has really upset me which is making me feel drepressed.

(Spelling due to smartphone on train)

Edit: She states, "the course is what you make of it".
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you already declined the offer?

Edit: Wait dumb question. Of course you have
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
THat's sad... :/

But yeah, it's the degree that counts but in real world terms...

IT'S YOU, that counts the most! Those universiites would be nothing without the people that made them famous, such as Newton with Cambridge(if I'm correct here)...

You can make the university better by who you are and become from going to that university! ^_^
I'm sorry, I assumed you were 18 when you went to uni, and not a total baby.

Do what you want ffs.
Without knowing your local university, the course or what you want to do in life it's hard to say. Your mum is probably giving you very bad advice.
Reply 5
Original post by Insideliz10
My A-levels were A*A*AA. I went to a normal comprehensive as my mum didn't like grammers. When it came to applying to universties she said she won't be allowing me to go to one where i have to move out which really depressrd me as i new i was capable of attending a highly valyed instituin. However i applied regaudless. I had interviews ect. At Cambridge, St. Andrews. Got offers from both as well as my local universty which i won't name. However it's in the bottom ten. My mum is forcing me to give up the idea of Cambridge as she says it's the degree that counts not where you attended. Is this true, would i be able to have the same anount of succes going to my local uni or Cambridge? This has really upset me which is making me feel drepressed.

You really do NOT have to listen to her.

It depends on what your local university is like. I feel that a lot of people on this forum are hung up on the idea of going to Oxford or Cambridge purely because of the prestige factor. Cambridge is a great university not because it's the oldest or the most prestigious but because it employs some of the best minds in each subject to do the teaching and has one-to-one tutorials on a weekly (or more) basis.

That's not to say, however, that you can't succeed at other universities. Einstein never went to Cambridge, nor did Richard Feynman (in fairness, he went to MIT, which is of a similar standard), nor did a great many other people who went on to be successful in their field. All of which goes to show that it's the person, and not the institution that determines success. Sure, Cambridge has the advantage of really pushing people to their limit in a way other universities won't but that doesn't mean that you can't thrive elsewhere.

If you really want to and if you haven't already accepted the offer from your local university, ignore your mum and reapply with achieved grades. It's somewhat disadvantageous that she's put you in this position because predictions of A*A*AA would have got you far if you'd applied with AS grades but from one of the Ask an Admissions Tutor threads, I seem to remember that the average number of A*s a gap year applicant offers at Cambridge is something like 3.15 so you might not be as competitive as others but try nevertheless because otherwise you'll spend your life thinking 'what if.' The worst that can happen is that you'll be rejected.

Good luck. :smile:
If this post is serious, then I think your mum has special needs.

You are legally an Adult when you hit 18, you can't be seriously suggesting your mother told you Cambridge wasn't worth it? I could get a degree in Breaking Bad at Cambridge and I'd still have good employment prospects.

The type of degree is important, but going to a prestigious university means so much more.

Again, I feel the need to reiterate, your mother is a very stupid person.

Jesus some ****ing people...
Original post by Jack1066
If this post is serious, then I think your mum has special needs.

You are legally an Adult when you hit 18, you can't be seriously suggesting your mother told you Cambridge wasn't worth it? I could get a degree in Breaking Bad at Cambridge and I'd still have good employment prospects.

The type of degree is important, but going to a prestigious university means so much more.

Again, I feel the need to reiterate, your mother is a very stupid person.

Jesus some ****ing people...
You're goddamn right!
Reply 9
Do not listen to your mother, she is talking crap. If you want to go to Cambridge, reapply this year. Yes the degree matters, but the prestige of your university matters a lot too, you can do so much with any degree from Oxbridge. Honestly, a degree at Cambridge is miles better than a degree at a very low ranking university. Considering you want to do Economics, IB is in your reach, and investment banks tend target the top 5 universities. So yes, it does matter.

You should not have listened to your mother, you're old enough to make your own decisions. The very fact that she did not want to send you to a grammar school and told you not to go Cambridge, imo implies that she has a chip on her shoulder.
Do NOT turn down Cambridge....:frown:

Um, your mum lied. Take a gap year and reapply to decent universities. A degree from a bottom 10 uni is not worth the paper it's written on, even if it's a first.

I don't understand how someone who is clearly so intelligent can't realise that:/

At the bottom 10 uni you would be surrounded by extremely thick people and thus probably wouldn't want to make any friends. You'd be on a completely different wavelength to them and full of regret.

Quick Reply

Latest