The Student Room Group

Will this work? (Welsh Bac related)

I got BCCE at AS (meh) and dropped the E (Biology)
B- Economics
C - Maths & Chemistry

We do Welsh Bac at our school and its getting accepted by quite a few Unis in Wales and England, so I was planning on dropping Chemistry so I'd have Econ, Maths and welsh bac as my grades.

I was really close to an A in Economics and I'm thinking of getting my paper remarked anyway, and I think I'll be capable of getting an A in A2. Maths was disappointing and I'm resitting C1 and C2 (Got an A in S1 and Ds in core).
Chemistry was really difficult and I'm surprised I even got a C tbh.

I'm planning on doing Finance or accounting or something like that at Uni, so chemistry isn't actually needed, so dropping that would actually take a massive weight off my shoulders when it comes to revision. The Unis I'm thinking of applying to are Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff and Manchester. They all accept Welsh Bac as an A level (Equivalent to an A grade) but I feel nervous about making an application with only 2 A2 subjects on there.

My grades (if goes to plan) will hopefully be AAB at A2, with Welsh Bac and Economics at an A, and Maths being a B.

What do you think? Could I get some offers with this plan?
You need to read-up on what each Unis says about Welsh Bac on each of their websites.

The usual arrangement is that you can substitute your Welsh Bac grade instead of the the lowest A level grade - as long as this subject isnt a 'required' subject. But - you do need to check this very carefully both for each specific Uni AND the individual subject/course you are interested in.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
You need to read-up on what each Unis says about Welsh Bac on each of their websites.

The usual arrangement is that you can substitute your Welsh Bac grade instead of the the lowest A level grade - as long as this subject isnt a 'required' subject. But - you do need to check this very carefully both for each specific Uni AND the individual subject/course you are interested in.

So by "substitute", if the course allows it, I could apply with just 2 A2s and Welsh Bac?

So far I've got Exeter which allows an A in Welsh Bac as an A grade to submit. Its clearly explained.

Bristol however say this for welsh bac: Requirements are as for A-levels where one non-subject-specified A-level can be replaced by the same grade in the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Level Core.

Does this mean I can apply with 2 A levels plus Welsh Bac? I'm horrible at interpreting. It says replace, so do I have to have a 3rd A level for it to be replace?
Original post by Jack1066

Bristol however say this for welsh bac: Requirements are as for A-levels where one non-subject-specified A-level can be replaced by the same grade in the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Level Core.Does this mean I can apply with 2 A levels plus Welsh Bac?

It means you have to be taking 3 A levels - but that come results day, you can use your Welsh Bac grade instead of a lower A level grade IF that A level subject isnt a 'required subject'.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
It means you have to be taking 3 A levels - but that come results day, you can use your Welsh Bac grade instead of a lower A level grade IF that A level subject isnt a 'required subject'.

Ohh ok. Thank you! Guess I won't be having a nice empty timetable then haha
Ohh ok. Thank you! Guess I won't be having a nice empty timetable then haha

I should also point out that the Welsh Bacc, if you've just finished AS, is going to be graded so it's not just a matter of passing the qualification - you'll need to get the same grade in the Bacc as the A-level grade you're hoping to use it as a replacement for. Just thought I should point that out. :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Hydeman
I should also point out that the Welsh Bacc, if you've just finished AS, is going to be graded so it's not just a matter of passing the qualification - you'll need to get the same grade in the Bacc as the A-level grade you're hoping to use it as a replacement for. Just thought I should point that out. :wink:

So I if I get an A in the Welsh Bac but a C in chemistry, does that mean I can use the A as a grade requirement, or will it be a C?
So I if I get an A in the Welsh Bac but a C in chemistry, does that mean I can use the A as a grade requirement, or will it be a C?

If Chemistry is a required subject, then no, you can't. But if it's just a third subject that isn't needed for the course, then yes. You should check individual entry requirements. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Hydeman
If Chemistry is a required subject, then no, you can't. But if it's just a third subject that isn't needed for the course, then yes. You should check individual entry requirements. :smile:

Ah brilll. I'm applying for finance so Chemistry is not a required subject. So just to clarify, I literally just need to sit the chemistry exam to swap it out for Welsh Bac? It doesn't matter if I get a U even, it would just be switched to an A in Welsh Bac?
Ah brilll. I'm applying for finance so Chemistry is not a required subject. So just to clarify, I literally just need to sit the chemistry exam to swap it out for Welsh Bac? It doesn't matter if I get a U even, it would just be switched to an A in Welsh Bac?

Different universities have different policies about that. For example, Cardiff University insist that you take three A-levels and get at least a C grade in the third A-level. Keele insists you get at least a B in the third subject and so on. Bristol on the other hand, doesn't have a minimum for the third A-level. You need to check with the individual universities by contacting them directly. It won't be a good feeling if you find out they have a minimum requirement in the third subject and you've got a U in chemistry...
Reply 10
Original post by Hydeman
Different universities have different policies about that. For example, Cardiff University insist that you take three A-levels and get at least a C grade in the third A-level. Keele insists you get at least a B in the third subject and so on. Bristol on the other hand, doesn't have a minimum for the third A-level. You need to check with the individual universities by contacting them directly. It won't be a good feeling if you find out they have a minimum requirement in the third subject and you've got a U in chemistry...

Ah ok! got some more research to do then. Thank you very much for telling me this, I would have been dicked over if I'd have just dropped chemistry haha
Ah ok! got some more research to do then. Thank you very much for telling me this, I would have been dicked over if I'd have just dropped chemistry haha

No worries. :smile: Good luck in your Finance aspirations.

Quick Reply