The Student Room Group

read message anxiety

does anyone else get this when texting someone you really like or you're seeing? When you know someone's read your message and not replied and you can't work out why but your stomach's churning and you feel sick and unwanted and like you want to cry and scream and smash your phone against the wall all at the same time and your ears are ringing and your heart is thumping. But you know it's stupid because it's just a ****ing message and hey, odds are they'll reply later and they're just busy. But what if they don't and they don't like you? What did you do wrong? So you keep waiting and checking your phone getting more and more pent up until it just gets too much and you're hyperventilating.

Can anyone help me? I have it so badly that I often purge or self harm when it happens or just curl into a ball and break down.
Reply 1
I hope you aren't pissing around or being a troll because self harming over such matters is serious! I would speak to someone about it... anyone!
Have you spoken to a doctor or therapist about this? If you are self-harming you really need to see someone as this sounds like very dangerous behaviour. It's so easy for people to say "Oh, don't take it personally" or "Don't be silly" but when you have an anxiety disorder those fears are real for you and it can just take over and make you panic. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder when I was 13 and therapy has helped me so much so I would really advise you to seek help. If you need to talk, please feel free to PM me. I hope you can come out of this soon feeling more positive :hugs:
Wow, I honestly thought I was the only person who did this! I'm terrible for it in all honesty. But depends on the person and how the conversation is going for me
Reply 4
Original post by gman10
I hope you aren't pissing around or being a troll because self harming over such matters is serious! I would speak to someone about it... anyone!

how could I troll about something like this?! I know it sounds stupid but it's 100% true. It's not conventional self harm (cutting) I have other methods but it's still really bad :frown:

Original post by Sicaspeak
Have you spoken to a doctor or therapist about this? If you are self-harming you really need to see someone as this sounds like very dangerous behaviour. It's so easy for people to say "Oh, don't take it personally" or "Don't be silly" but when you have an anxiety disorder those fears are real for you and it can just take over and make you panic. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder when I was 13 and therapy has helped me so much so I would really advise you to seek help. If you need to talk, please feel free to PM me. I hope you can come out of this soon feeling more positive :hugs:

thank you. I think I might PM you actually if that'd be ok. I'm seeing a therapist in september who I used to see when I was younger.

Original post by jlawson118
Wow, I honestly thought I was the only person who did this! I'm terrible for it in all honesty. But depends on the person and how the conversation is going for me

yeah it's more if there's been something said that might make them not want to talk to me. I'll overthink every message trying to work out what I've done. Damn I'm sounding crazy rn this is so bad.
Original post by Anonymous
how could I troll about something like this?! I know it sounds stupid but it's 100% true. It's not conventional self harm (cutting) I have other methods but it's still really bad :frown:

thank you. I think I might PM you actually if that'd be ok. I'm seeing a therapist in september who I used to see when I was younger.

yeah it's more if there's been something said that might make them not want to talk to me. I'll overthink every message trying to work out what I've done. Damn I'm sounding crazy rn this is so bad.

Nah you don't sound crazy, I'm exactly the same. Apart from the self harm bit but sometimes it makes me down in the dumps :/
Original post by Anonymous

Of course you can! And that's good to here, I really think that is the right step forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending