The Student Room Group

What degree to do, hmmm

What's a decent degree now a days? A degree that'll be fairly to get a job in and there's demand for it in the working industry.

A degree that is stable and will be stable for the following 5-10 years at least. A degree that is interesting with decent pay and work hours

Done AS Biology, chemistry, accounting and maths. Pursuing all besides accounting.

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mathematics or go for Chemical engineering
Reply 3
Any STEM degree.
(apart from physics)
Biochemical engineering
Medicine.
Dentistry
Optometry ?
Original post by ALEVEL_STUDENT

A degree that is stable and will be stable for the following 5-10 years at least. A degree that is interesting with decent pay and work hours

Degrees don't pay you money, they cost you! Do you mean a job?

I am being facetious but that is because the answer to your question really depends on what careers you find appealing. You also ask for an interesting degree, but do you mean an interesting career?

A potential and partial list:

Law, medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, accounting, finance, consulting, engineering, computer coding. Any of those take your fancy?

My choices were dentistry then medicine but 5/6 years at uni, seems like effort plus waiting another year if you don't get in sucks

Posted from BEHIND YOU
Original post by Skill Twix
Mathematics or go for Chemical engineering

Predicted an A* in maths this year but a maths degree isn't that fun tbh. Chemical engineering looks alright including the pay but hmm hmm

Posted from BEHIND YOU
Original post by aamirac
Any STEM degree.
(apart from physics)

Collaborate on that?

Posted from BEHIND YOU
Nobody has suggested geology yet!
Predicted an A* in maths this year but a maths degree isn't that fun tbh. Chemical engineering looks alright including the pay but hmm hmm

Posted from BEHIND YOU

My brother is a chemical engineer and he's enjoying life.
Do what you will like instead of asking for other's opinions to be honest :smile:
A maths degree then trying to become an Investment Banking trader? Or any subject that is related to maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chazwomaq
Degrees don't pay you money, they cost you! Do you mean a job?

I am being facetious but that is because the answer to your question really depends on what careers you find appealing. You also ask for an interesting degree, but do you mean an interesting career?

A potential and partial list:

Law, medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, accounting, finance, consulting, engineering, computer coding. Any of those take your fancy?

You know what I meant haha

Been told law is a no no due to the fact it's hard to get a job plus I hate doing English based stuff. Was pounding towards dentistry and medicine but a mate of mine applied and didn't get in and his grades were smashing so thought Na.

Know any insides on optometry/pharmacy?

Posted from BEHIND YOU
Original post by Skill Twix
My brother is a chemical engineer and he's enjoying life.
Do what you will like instead of asking for other's opinions to be honest :smile:

I'd do anything if it pays good tbh haha. Not going into debt and sweating my arse off for a salary that you can get from a retail job

Posted from BEHIND YOU
Original post by Plagioclase
Nobody has suggested geology yet!

The hells that haha

Posted from BEHIND YOU
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
A maths degree then trying to become an Investment Banking trader? Or any subject that is related to maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Investment bankers seem like those top dogs but a maths degree seems hard to obtain plus boring haha

Posted from BEHIND YOU
Investment bankers seem like those top dogs but a maths degree seems hard to obtain plus boring haha

Posted from BEHIND YOU

True! Just giving you options since you are great at maths :smile:) which is so good because it opens up so many doors!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The hells that haha
Posted from BEHIND YOU

How the earth works! It's a very broad subject but it covers everything from deep-earth geophysics to environmental change. If you're interested in the planet, a subject that covers a huge range of time and spatial scales and you enjoy using skills from multiple areas of science, geology would be a great subject. Plus, there's quite a big practical element in comparison to other sciences.
Reply 19
Original post by aamirac
Any STEM degree.
(apart from physics)

Is maths degree better than an economics degree?

Quick Reply

Latest